Phoenix 3

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Phoenix 3

Post by Trev » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:21 pm

This is one of three games that I am playing at the moment (the other two being Guardian War & Po'ed) The verdict is still out on this title (I'm not caring for the ship levels too much) but I am going to try & play it through till the end.

My question ... is there a good order in which to tackle the missions? I've noticed that some of them seem rather tough, and I'd prefer to play through the easier missions first to build myself up. Has anyone beaten this game who could share some advice?

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:00 am

You called me once the "God of 3DO gaming". You've got to be kidding right? Phoenix 3! Anyone who can be bothered to even attempt to consider playing this game is truly the 'God of 3DO gaming'. This game is really really bad. I mean really bad.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:31 am

3DOKid wrote:You called me once the "God of 3DO gaming". You've got to be kidding right? Phoenix 3! Anyone who can be bothered to even attempt to consider playing this game is truly the 'God of 3DO gaming'. This game is really really bad. I mean really bad.
Hmm, could be worse, could be Virtuoso! :mrgreen: I actually have a strange liking for this and Daedelous Encounter, which everyone seems to hate, so I guess i have bad taste in games or something.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

Gir Draxa
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Gir Draxa » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:43 am

Phoenix 3 was a game that was pressed into production before it was ready (IMO). The flight sim would have stood on it's own, but as we've seen from games that try to merge genres, it doesn't work too often.

Plus, the platformer really blew chunks.

Drax
CEO of The (in search of a home) CD-i & 3DO Collectives

Just slightly behind at being ahead of our time!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:22 pm

I know ... every time I destroy an enemy they explode in a chunky mess (oh wait, that isn't what you meant ... :wink: )

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:59 pm

Trev wrote:
I know ... every time I destroy an enemy they explode in a chunky mess (oh wait, that isn't what you meant ... :wink: )
:lol: Good one . . . not. Still though, as a platformer, Phoenix 3 is not that bad. I have played way worse, especially at that time, especially in the 16 bit systems. Mind you, the only time I ever saw what they were trying to do work completely, it was on the Saturn with Skeleton Warriors, but hey, this was still cool for what it was. Better than Johhy Bazookatone, which I swear to God is impossible to beat, and that's not a good thing, that's a bad thing.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:14 pm

Johnny Bazookatone. I actually got badly slagged off for my write up of Johnny Bazookatone. REally badly. I deleted it. My review that lacked, I admit, detail, did have, in my humble opinion, acres of opinion. Too much opinion due to one happy reader. Suffice to say - I didn't like it either.

Best platformer on the 3DO was Gex. Then they went and ruined it on the PS1 by insisting on 3D - as per usual at that time as I recall.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:16 am

I am enjoying the platformer levels of Phoenix 3 more than the flying ones (at the moment anyway)

Soccer Kid is another good platformer available for the 3DO.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:50 am

Yes, Soccer Kid is awesome, the problem I have with it is it is a recolored SNES game with cinematics. Still fun as Hell, but I don't think that anything that released for the 3DO would come close to Gex. That little Gecko is awesome, I love the little bastard! As for Jonny Bazookatone, that game had so much potential as the graphics are gorgeous. The animations are so smooth. The dificulty level in the game and some really poor level desogns so kill it though. It is sad that it is like an Acclaim Special; The only way to beat the game is with cheat codes, and I so hate that!

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:35 am

Since it was brought up I thought I would bring this back. 8) THREAD REVIVAL!!!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:46 pm

Since it was brought up I thought I would bring this back. THREAD REVIVAL!!!
I'm not sure if Phoenix 3 is a strong enough game to support 2 threads :wink:

For real revival, find the 2 Defcon 5 threads.