Double Dragon V: Bad gameplay

It does float! And doesn't get soggy in milk! :)

Moderator: a31chris

Edi (FZ2D)
3DO ZERO USER

Double Dragon V: Bad gameplay

Post by Edi (FZ2D) » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:28 am

Hello friends!
I have a considerable collection of Atari Jaguar. I already have 22 games, most complete and 10 came factory-sealed.
Long before buying the Atari Jaguar, some games were the dreams of consumption, in particular, the multiplatform games that were released for Genesis and SNES.
Double Dragon V, despite being far from striking a fighting game, I enjoyed a lot in Genesis, however, instead of the Atari Jaguar version is superior, it is inferior and castrated.
What bothers me is the lack of characters, but the bad gameplay. It is a mission impossible to strike special moves.
I noticed that the feel of the Atari Jaguar's control is very bad compared to other consoles, but still not justified.

Incidentally, the Pro Controller amenisa that? The directional control that helps to improve a bit the gameplay of Double Dragon V?

Please give opinions on my position. :?

Do not blame my English, blame Google Translate. :P

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:10 pm

The Pro-Controller probably doesn't help.. I mean, it's Double Dragon V afterall. :D

Seriously though, it might help you if you know the game well. I've never given the Jaguar version more than a minute or two of my time though so I can't vouch much for it.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:49 pm

I'd like to have this game someday (despite the bad rep) Always seems to have a high asking price attached to it though.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:01 am

"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Edi (FZ2D)
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Edi (FZ2D) » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:54 am

The worst is that the Atari Jaguar has virtually no one fighting game weight.
I never played Kasumi Ninja, Ultra Vortek, but I have great faith that these are great games.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:06 pm

Edi (FZ2D) wrote: I never played Kasumi Ninja, Ultra Vortek, but I have great faith that these are great games.
Ultra Vortek is a good game, Kasumi Ninja not so much.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Edi (FZ2D)
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Edi (FZ2D) » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:01 am

Trev wrote:Ultra Vortek is a good game, Kasumi Ninja not so much.
Kasumi Ninja's gameplay is good?

Austin

Post by Austin » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:21 am

It has a version of Primal Rage almost on-par with the 3DO game, but others here will disagree with me that it's a good thing... :lol:

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:41 am

Austin wrote:It has a version of Primal Rage almost on-par with the 3DO game, but 3DOKid will disagree with me that it's a good thing... :lol:
Fixed your typos Austin. :wink:

Edi (FZ2D)
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Edi (FZ2D) » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:04 am

Austin wrote:It has a version of Primal Rage almost on-par with the 3DO game, but others here will disagree with me that it's a good thing... :lol:
But this CD is for Jaguar. I like this game, but at least in my opinion, should have a minimum quality of the PlayStation version.

Austin

Post by Austin » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:09 am

Trev wrote:Fixed your typos Austin. :wink:
:P
Edi (FZ2D) wrote:
Austin wrote:It has a version of Primal Rage almost on-par with the 3DO game, but others here will disagree with me that it's a good thing... :lol:
But this CD is for Jaguar. I like this game, but at least in my opinion, should have a minimum quality of the PlayStation version.
Strangely, I think the Jag and/or at least 3DO version of the game animates better than the PlayStation version, although the sprites are about half the size. :lol:

To be honest, a lot of the home ports from back in the day haven't aged the best. Even the Saturn one, which I once thought was arcade perfect, is actually a good bit aways from it. :(

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:59 am

Double Dragon V on the Jaguar is horrid. The Pro controller will not help you at all, sadly. You STILL have to use the Key Pad for the special moves. IF you must have this game, go with either the Genesis or SNES versions. The Jaguar Port is a soulless port of a soulless game in the first place. If you want a great fighting game for the Jaguar, look no further than Ultra Vortek. That game is awesome. Kasumi Ninja is not that bad in the same vein as Way if the Warrior is. DDV makes me want to cry and yes, it is rare because everyone hated it and few were made because it is easily the worst selling Mass Produced Jaguar game made. It was also one of the first games to be pilfered for it's shell in the homebrew community, even over Cybermorph and Cannon Fodder, making it even rarer. Hell, Dragon The Bruce Lee Story shits all over this game.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

ArfredHitchcacku
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Double Dragon V: Bad gameplay

Post by ArfredHitchcacku » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:20 am

Usually, I don't judge from Youtube videos. Usually, I wait until I play a game to form my own opinion. BUT NOT FOR DOUBLE DRAGON FIVE. (I couldn't find gameplay without commentary for the Jaguar version...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozJAeg1s-o8

You seem to be concerned that it doesn't match its weaker system counterparts. That should be the least of your worries...Even if the gameplay was Street Fighter II level, I think just the way it looks might be enough to turn me off. I've seen Flash games online that look better...But to be honest there's only a handful of Double Dragon games I can stand, the original NES trilogy, (I guess the Arcade Trilogy too) the GBA remake, and the Neo Geo fighting game. The previous Double Dragons on Genesis are literally some of the worst games I have ever subjected myself to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im9zstjaHzQ

I might be bashed for liking the Nintendo version and despising this one, being cited as some kind of graphical or audial and non-gameplay issue. But in the end, I just can't have fun playing games that look and sound this atrocious. I don't like to be so opinionated on things and I can understand a different one, but I'm sorry, this is...Bad.
BAD

-Alfred Hitchcock Presents, 3DO