Where's the homebrew?

Those old stickies are chilling out here.
UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Where's the homebrew?

Post by UnholyTancred » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:50 pm

When I first got my Dreamcast a little more than a year ago, I didn't know a damn thing about the homebrew scene. All I knew was "Oh snap! It plays CD-R's! Perfect for a slacker student who doesn't have a job!" But damn there's a lot of stuff going on there. Neo Geo CD emulation is almost perfect. Metal Slug 1 and 2 have been rebuilt just for the Dreamcast. Hell, I recently saw Quake with a major graphical update.

I hear great things about the Xbox homebrew community but I personally don't have one so I can't comment. I have a PS2 and the homebrew scene there well... to sum it up in one word... shitty. Mediocre SNES and Genesis emulators were the only minor things of interest that I saw.

The Saturn has a small homebrew community but at least there's something. Then there's the weirdest thing. I hear some people are still making Jaguar games.

Then I take a look at the 3DO and I see nothing. The devkit has been leaked. The console has been around for over a decade. Surely somebody should have been able to do something by now!
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:10 am

We are pondering this seriously now that the Encryption has been cracked.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:30 am

T2KFreeker wrote:We are pondering this seriously now that the Encryption has been cracked.
This has been mentioned a couple times at this board, but does anyone have links to more information about this? Who cracked it? When? Are there technical docs for people who want to write their own code?

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:36 am

Well here's the info that came with the torrent:

"REMEMBER! THESE ARE MAC HFS FORMAT CDs! THEY WILL _NOT_ BE READABLE IN STANDARD WINDOWS OR LINUX PCs WITHOUT SPECIAL SOFTWARE AND/OR DRIVERS! THESE DISCS WERE TARGETED FOR A 3DO DEVELOPMENT PLATFORM THAT CONSISTED OF A MOTOROLA 68040-BASED MACINTOSH WITH ~ MAC OS 7.X (USUALLY A QUADRA 800).

If you want to READ what's on these discs, look up the (recommended) freeware HFVExplorer (http://axel.findling.bei.t-online.de/mi ... VExplorer/), or download trial versions of the commercial MacDrive (http://www.mediafour.com/), commercial MacOpener (http://www.dataviz.com/) or some such app on the Internet using your favorite search engine.

If you want to RUN the content on these discs, you can use a REAL mac or use one of the many Mac emulators out there, such as the freeware Basilisk II (http://www.uni-mainz.de/~bauec002/B2Main.html), or the commercial Executor (http://www.ardi.com) or Fusion (http://www.microcode-solutions.com/home.htm).

Please, do not email me asking for help with this stuff or crying that an update broke something in the original toolset. I've had to figure it out on my own; you should be able to also.

If you really want to help, join the FreeDO emulator project (http://freedo.sourceforge.net). Coders are sorely needed in that project.

Following are a list of 3DO developer updates.

pf13updt - Portfolio 1.3 Update. Presumably this updates the 1.2 release.

tk13updt - Toolkit 1.3.1 Update. Presumably this updates the 1.3 release.

Electronic docs are available on the CDs (especially on the Toolkit 1.5 and Portfolio 2.5), but mostly you're gonna have to figure it out by yourself. Don't hound me for paper/pdf/html docs; I don't have any to give right now. I may never have any. I don't know.

I rescued these from obscurity for all y'all. We all know our beloved platforms' creators don't give a crap about the system we (most of us, at least) paid irrationally laaaaaarge sums of money for, then left us all in the dust with wads of cash in their pockets.

That said, I disclaim any and all responsibility for what you do, or fail to do, or think you might do with or to this stuff.

"3DO" is still a registered trademark of the 3DO Corporation, Redwood City, CA. Bastards they may be for cutting us out of their will, but they are certainly no fools. Please treat the hallowed syllables with honor.

I signed no NDA for this. It was released to me by aliens. Your mileage may vary. My God, its full of stars.

aw69
ts full of stars.

aw69
9"
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:29 am

Mobius wrote:
T2KFreeker wrote:We are pondering this seriously now that the Encryption has been cracked.
This has been mentioned a couple times at this board, but does anyone have links to more information about this? Who cracked it? When? Are there technical docs for people who want to write their own code?
This is why we are pondering this idea as we have yet to see the fruits of the labor, as you will. Once we see that the 3DO encryption has indeed been cracked, we are all for programming on the 3DO as a possibility. We just don't want to do a bunch of work that nobody will ever see. Most developers for these systems like the 3DO and Jaguar aren't in it ofr the money obviously, we are in it for the fun, but it would be nice for other people to be able to share in our creations as well.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:07 pm

Anyone doing homebrew, planning homebrew, thinking of homebrew would enjoy the full seal of approval from 3DO kid. For what's worth. And the usual over zealous tireless promotion that entails.

...You know - I have often pondered an unofficial sequel to: Plumbers don't wear ties. All we need is a blond with no inhibitions. A camera. A plot. And a bunch of If/Then statements.

Everyone involved would be famous. I guarantee.

There is some homebrew out there. The guys over at freedo have proved its possible to some degree without even an SDK.

Now, in all seriousness, assume that world is your oyster. Money no object. What would a homebrew scene need to get going?

Windows Killer
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Where's the homebrew?

Post by Windows Killer » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:43 pm

UnholyTancred wrote:The devkit has been leaked. The console has been around for over a decade. Surely somebody should have been able to do something by now!
First of all, the SDK has been leaked, not the devkit. ;)

The SDK is quite old and rather useless without having the shitload of docs that came with it. And even if you would be able to code a game with it, it would only work on a dev station and testing station. The SDK can not create encrypted discs! Here and there some people are claiming that the encryption has been broken, but even if that's true (I don't know really and highly doubt it), there are no tools available to anyone so far which allows to encrypt discs so that they run on a consumer unit...

elitegamer
3DO ZERO USER

Post by elitegamer » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:36 pm

This thread needs to be rejuvenated for sure. With oldergames releasing that 2-n-1: Power slide and that soccer game. Then you guys hooked up with Andy for IB 2. Encryption appears doable! So like Unholytancred said... "Where's the homebrew?

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:33 am

Just to clear things up for you Good Deal Games did the 2-n-1 which were actually from the four set that oldergames illegally sold. They actually have a crude (but functional) hack-signing job. Icebreaker 2 - 2011 Edition uses cdoty's signing method which is very clean. But yes we do need more homebrew.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:59 pm

Given that the 3DO has ARM processor. An ARM 60, and that linux is now supporting 'ARM' a small linux kernel running on the 3DO as a live distribution?

Also, what about Overclocking the 3DO?

http://www.electro-tech-online.com/elec ... clock.html

Any thoughts?

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:36 pm

3DOKid wrote:Given that the 3DO has ARM processor. An ARM 60, and that linux is now supporting 'ARM' a small linux kernel running on the 3DO as a live distribution?

Also, what about Overclocking the 3DO?

http://www.electro-tech-online.com/elec ... clock.html

Any thoughts?
Talk to some of the guys that work on the GP2X and Pandora, and Dingoo and such. Might get a shock as someone might be willing to port some of their stuff over. Hell, I'd play Vektar on the 3DO all day!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:15 am

Me too. :)
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

elitegamer
3DO ZERO USER

Post by elitegamer » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:19 am

Gratitude... Not attitude! How many homebrews are you responsible for? Me, none! I'm a newbie, but what about you that wear aluminum foul hats or whatever but use the internet. That . Made as much sense as that space in this sentence.
Last edited by elitegamer on Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:21 am

elitegamer wrote:Gratitude... Not attitude! How many homebrews are you responsible four? Me, none! I'm a newbie, but what about you that wear aluminum foul hats or whatever but use the internet. That . Made as much sence as that space
I do not understand this post.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

elitegamer
3DO ZERO USER

Post by elitegamer » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:33 am

I dont understand it either, must be ESL!

elitegamer
3DO ZERO USER

Post by elitegamer » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:33 am

I dont understand it either, must be ESL!

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:41 am

elitegamer wrote:Gratitude... Not attitude! How many homebrews are you responsible for? Me, none! I'm a newbie, but what about you that wear aluminum foul hats or whatever but use the internet. That . Made as much sense as that space in this sentence.
Okay, so let me guess; your new job here is to look like a total idiot and try and follow me around and try and be the class clown to . . . the class clown? I have to say that your attempts have been utterly pathetic. Please stop this before one of us gets banned. I have better things to do with my life and time than deal with pathetic insects as yourself. It's not a, "I Have Been here Longer Than You" thing either. It's a , you have obviously been banned once already and here you go again being a total douche. I have been here for five years and have NEVER once been on edge with a user like I have been in the last 20 minutes with you. Grow up, don't go away man, just go away already. leave me alone and I will leave you alone. Leave Trev alone, and he will leave you alone. "POOF", goodbye.

JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JohnnyDude » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:49 am

Yikes! Maybe all the "Plumbers Don't Wear Ties" talk has got people in a tiffy.

On the homebrew note, I remember one of the guys from FreeDO (felix/admin I think) talking about making the 3DO SDK available and usable on platforms other than the macintosh. Well, just the C headers and libraries. Still, this would be a great leap forward. Although I did succeed in getting that SDK working on an old macintosh emulator, it was a weekend-long ordeal that I doubt people want to take on.

If someone knows that the "port" effort I mention has succeeded, I'd be happy to hear it. I doubt I'd get into the homebrew though.

Also, if there are any homebrewers left out there I'd be interested to know what features in 4DO would be most beneficial.

pitsunami
3DO ZERO USER

Post by pitsunami » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:02 am

I decided to give homebrew a try,
I have the hardware needed [ 3do dev tower,an old combatible mac
and some books] and the love for making sth!
I dont have the free time though but i will try...
I wish there were any guidelines to help noobs out,but i
will check the books and hopefully find out how this thing works!

Wish me luck guys...:)

Jones
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Jones » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:54 am

Great! Full mental support by me! :-)

But hey, maybe a stupid question, but anyway: some people around
here have already made some noticeably process and successes in
doing homebrew on the 3DO! Nikk3DO made a very nice 3D-cube demo
running on a stock machine, Moebius made this bouncing ball demo
work and CDoty has as far as I know also done quite some things
programming this machine.

Why don't you guys connect and start something together? I think
that would be a lot easier, compared to everyone on it's own?

Jones
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Jones » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:19 pm

PS @Admins:

How about a new Forum within this board, called "Homebrew"?
A place where homebrew programmers can exchange information
and experience? A source for "How to program a 3DO"?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:25 pm

pitsunami wrote:I decided to give homebrew a try,
I have the hardware needed [ 3do dev tower,an old combatible mac
and some books] and the love for making sth!
I dont have the free time though but i will try...
I wish there were any guidelines to help noobs out,but i
will check the books and hopefully find out how this thing works!

Wish me luck guys...:)
You can do it! :)

Best wishes to any and all who are trying to advance the 3DO homebrew cause.

pitsunami
3DO ZERO USER

Post by pitsunami » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:43 pm

Jones wrote:PS @Admins:

How about a new Forum within this board, called "Homebrew"?
A place where homebrew programmers can exchange information
and experience? A source for "How to program a 3DO"?

That exactly is in my mind for some time now...!!

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:21 am

You got your wish!

And it's an entire section called Fan Projects! Homebrew Development is a place you can all get together and work on new things. There are other forums under it as well, plus Emulation has moved there too.

But that's not all; in Emulation's place is a long needed Technical Support forum.

This is new and I'm slowly going through pages in the 3DO Main Forum. So if there is a thread you feel should be moved by all means PM me.

In the words of Master Tatsu, "Go..... play."
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"