Letter to uncle Trip.

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Letter to uncle Trip.

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:31 pm

i have a burning ambition to write a hand written letter to Trip Hawkins - the only problem I'm having is what to write. I could ask him a bunch of questions:

Like - do you have a copy of Mortal Kombat 3 for the 3DO or why did you abandon us when we need you most? Or would you hand sign one of these Japanese FZ-1s so I can put it on eBay - that sort of thing.

Alternatively, I could write a gushing fanboy letter. This naturally would be my personal choice.

I thought I'd throw it open to the forum and we could write it together - figuratively of cause - I'll be the one actually writing it. I've got, parchment, a wax seal and everything - it's going to be great!

So - what do you guys want me to say to Trip on your behalf? Nothing bad - cos' like, I'm a fanboy and all and I'll credit you with the offering and scan the letter before I send it and stuff...

3DO Kid.

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:19 pm

Mortal Kombat 3 for the 3DO? First I've heard of this.

Fill me in please.

Interestingly enough I just found this on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/Mortal-Kombat-3-gui ... dZViewItem

Mortal Kombat 3 guide for a whole bunch of consoles including the 3DO.
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

fish
3DO ZERO USER

I remember waiting for that to come out

Post by fish » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:12 am

It was scheduled for an April 96 release in the UK and was meant to be one of 3DO's last major releases (what a bag it could have gone out with eh?) before ahem... the M2. Obviously they decided to ditch the 3DO version and focused on an M2 release for the following year, of course we are still waiting - for the M2 and Mortal Kombat 3 lol!

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:38 am

This is a cool idea... Personally, I wonder what he thinks now of the idea of licensing a hardware schematic, rather than building it yourself. It seems like the "sell at a loss, recoup the difference on software" model has really won out in the console scene. That strategy just isn't possible for manufacturers that aren't also the game-makers.

Unless I'm way off base here, and Panasonic and Goldstar actually were selling at a loss. I just always assumed the price was so high because the manufacturers were making a profit on each unit from the first day.

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:42 am

Ah I see. Well if it was going to be anything like the Saturn version, then perhaps its for the best that it didn't come out haha. The Saturn version was terrible. Sure the sprites were bigger than their 16 bit counterparts but I'll take Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 on the SNES or Genesis over MK3 on the Saturn any day.

The load times simply kill the game. I remember getting up to Motaro, losing both rounds in about 10 seconds total because Mortal Kombat loves having cheapass bosses, then having to wait 45 seconds to get through the continue screen and selecting a character with massive loading in between only to lose to Motaro again... in 10 seconds.

Mortal Kombat Trilogy had slightly better load times but the game was complete balls so it didn't matter. And Mortal Kombat 2 had potential to be fantastic as it had barely any load times... however whenever you wanted to pull off a special move your character would get into the pose and the game would pause for a second or two before the fireball/spear/ice/etc would come out. Terrible.

I'm sure if given to the right hands the 3DO version would not have ended up like this.
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:50 am

I always admired Trip's ambition. He had a very clear vision of where he thought the industry was headed, and he worked hard at seeing his goals through. Just because 3DO may not have become the "new world standard" in interactive entertainment does not make it any less important. Sometimes failures pave the way for future success. (example -do you think XBOX Live would be where it is today if not for the Dreamcast setting the stage for on-line gaming in the console world?)
3DO's failures were a result of bad timing and some misguided zeal, but there is no doubt that Sony learned from them and thus were able to make the PSX the success it was. Matushita's handling of the M2 technology was awful, but 3DO still had a great idea in that as well. I honestly think that we need to convey to Trip our passion for 3DO. Excitement means a lot.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:51 pm

Trev - i'm with you on this!

Dryden
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dryden » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:00 pm

As we are in the midst of a "Seventh Generation" console war, I'd want to know Trip's opinion that with the history of the 3DO, and over a decade worth of consoles since, does he think there can ever be "one" manufacturer that will pioneer a ubiquitous "black box" that everyone has on their TV like the VCR in the 80s? I believe this was his ambition with the 3DO.

I'd also be curious what his one biggest, single regret is ... does he ever lay awake at night and wonder, 'Damn, if we'd only done this it would've been a hit.'

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:30 pm

I've now written and posted this. I gave him the URL to my blog and this forum.

So lads - Sunday best from now on and no cursing Uncle Trip.

I hope he joins the forum!

:D

3DO kid.

Devin
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by Devin » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:49 pm

3DOKid wrote:So lads - Sunday best from now on and no cursing Uncle Trip.
Hope you mentioned your contribution to the RetroGamer 3DO Frenzy that Sczepaniakakkkskskakkk fella made.

Damned nice bloke just a tough name to spell!

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:03 pm

I did indeed. Scz-whatsit deserves some credit. God rest his retro-gamer soul.

...but you my friend? You've made a credible contribution ne pas?

...what of you...? :D

3DO kid.

NikeX
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NikeX » Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:20 pm

Any news?
I would like to know on whom Trip Hawkins shot with the
Nerf balls he decreeded his employees. Imo, Trip Hawkins
is one of the most important people in video game history.

cdoty
Bringer of game signing

Post by cdoty » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:47 pm

Try to convince him that you're a long lost relative. See if you can get invited to his house, to check out all the goodies he may have....

And, snag me a testing station while you're there. :)

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:53 pm

Goodies? Yea all 'em Digital Chocolate betas.
-Vladimir Lenin

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:53 pm

...run up to him in the street screaming "DADDY". Yeah - maybe not.