Quarantine!

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Quarantine!

Post by a31chris » Thu May 08, 2014 7:54 am

As you guys probably know I got this game and have been enjoying it.

I love the soundtrack, and the atmosphere. And the sense of adventure in the game. But I'm only on the first level.

The pedestrians and road activity remind me somewhat of Road Rash. The instructions cover the basics but they don't cover much beyond that. Like identifying what the flashing dots are on the map. I had to figure out for myself that they were fix it spots. Are there different fixit spots? Do some have better prices or are they all the same?

Also the instructions do not talk about the different pedestrians and who you may or may not kill. And how to identify the different types. And are those little green robots flying around? Are they cleaning the road? What the hell are they doing??

I can't believe there is no thread for this game yet. SO LETS TALK QUARANTINE! This is the thread!
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Quarantine!

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Thu May 08, 2014 10:14 am

This is one of those games that I still need to acquire. There's not many left that I want tbh (I own around 50-603DO games) but this sure is one of them - and Immercenary.

I like the look of Quarantine. It has a familiar look to it. Don't know why. But I'll definitely pick it up and give it a go at some point.

It also came out on the SEGA Saturn in Japan under the title "Death Throttle". Didn't learn that until last year.

It's one of those games I would prefer to own on 3DO though...

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Sat May 10, 2014 2:00 am

Quarantine is all fairly grainy bitmaps but it works.

However it seems my save game function is not working. oh crap. I tell it to save a game. It says game saving...

Rebooting later and telling it to load game tell me no game saved.

Maybe my 3do memory is full and I need to clean it out?
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sat May 10, 2014 2:46 pm

NeoGeoNinja wrote:It also came out on the SEGA Saturn in Japan under the title "Death Throttle". Didn't learn that until last year.

It's one of those games I would prefer to own on 3DO though...
Yeah, the Saturn port is said to be terrible. Looking at online vids it doesn't seem much worse than the 3DO version, but when the frame rate is that low to begin with you really want the best version you can get.

Quarantine has always struck me as one of those daringly original "only on the 3DO" games. That said, I'm not into the mindless violence thing, and the combination of first person shooter and Courier Crisis/Crazy Taxi-style gameplay doesn't do it for me somehow. So I've resolved myself to admiring Quarantine from afar.

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Sat May 10, 2014 7:12 pm

People underestimate this game so much. Sure it's still an old sprite game, but it works so well.
It's floaty driving, but it still fun.

It's one of the first sandbox games that's just a blast to play. Has a rogue-like quality to it.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Sat May 10, 2014 7:36 pm

sneth wrote:People underestimate this game so much. Sure it's still an old sprite game, but it works so well.
It's floaty driving, but it still fun.

It's one of the first sandbox games that's just a blast to play. Has a rogue-like quality to it.
I enjoy it. I get a fare and I see the map and my position and I think 'ok I gotta flip a bitch and go back the way I came to get there ASAP' or whatever. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't work so well.

But for me its also fun exploring the city the designers built and seeing the different characters and personalities they created and put into the game. It's like for a little bit of time I'm back in the 90s with the creators and exploring the things they made and the thought they put into their creation.

It's all just a mix of the gameplay and the design that I enjoy. And learning the different aspects of the game that the instructions really don't touch on. I'm just learning how the different shops do different things. Some repair. Some upgrade. Now I'm trying to figure out which color dot on the map signifies repair or weapons upgrade.

But first I kinda need a memory manager to see if that is what is causing the memory save to fail.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Sat May 10, 2014 10:10 pm

DOH! i see you got it already :)
hey a31chris i edited my 3do mem manager with workig links now if you want to give it a try
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

FUJISAN
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FUJISAN » Tue May 13, 2014 2:00 am

I also love this game! :D
In Japan, there are many fans of this game.
(At least, I think so,,,,)

In this game, The steering of the car there is very difficult, but if used, the operation feeling will be the pleasant to the best!

I was trying to give up many times but I finished this game!

By the way, depending on the type of console, why, the name will differ from each this game ...?

<Name in Japan>
3DO=カランティーン
SS=デス・スロットル
PS=ハードロック・キャブ
Because I make a note using translation software, I think that it becomes a poor English sentence.
I'm sorry.

If there is rude expression, please point it out.
Thanking you in advance.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed May 14, 2014 1:45 am

Yeah, it's a great game. There were actually two different releases in the USA, I found this out when I got a second copy with some other games.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Wed May 14, 2014 5:27 am

3DO Experience wrote:Yeah, it's a great game. There were actually two different releases in the USA, I found this out when I got a second copy with some other games.
Care to explain that comment? You now have my undivided attention. What's the differences?
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Wed May 14, 2014 10:20 pm

FUJISAN wrote:
By the way, depending on the type of console, why, the name will differ from each this game ...?

<Name in Japan>
3DO=カランティーン
SS=デス・スロットル
PS=ハードロック・キャブ

This is because the localization or porting was done by different companies. MediaQuest and Asmik.
They probably translated the game differently.

FUJISAN
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FUJISAN » Thu May 15, 2014 6:05 am

sneth wrote:
FUJISAN wrote:

<Name in Japan>
3DO=カランティーン
SS=デス・スロットル
PS=ハードロック・キャブ

This is because the localization or porting was done by different companies. MediaQuest and Asmik.
answer, thank you! :D

Come to think of it, by converting to mp3 this file, I'm enjoying listening in the car. :)
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm8642452 ... _key_video
(If the free registration to NICONICO DOUGA, this file can be viewed.)
Because I make a note using translation software, I think that it becomes a poor English sentence.
I'm sorry.

If there is rude expression, please point it out.
Thanking you in advance.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue May 20, 2014 3:42 am

T2KFreeker wrote:
3DO Experience wrote:Yeah, it's a great game. There were actually two different releases in the USA, I found this out when I got a second copy with some other games.
Care to explain that comment? You now have my undivided attention. What's the differences?
The text and videos in the beginning are different orders and one has an Imagineer logo while the other does not.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Tue May 20, 2014 3:51 am

3DO Experience wrote:
T2KFreeker wrote:
The text and videos in the beginning are different orders and one has an Imagineer logo while the other does not.
Hmm, so everything else about the game is the same? No way to tell the difference in maybe a SKU number or variation of the game box art? Probably not though. Is there a video or something that shows the difference in the text and such? Would be cool to see it for sure.

Gunstar
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Gunstar » Mon May 26, 2014 3:59 pm

From what I recall, the PC and other console versions are a bit better graphically, in that they have ground texturing that the 3DO version lacks. I've also heard from reviews that "they took a really good PC game and turned it into a mediocre 3DO game." But I do enjoy playing the 3DO version myself, especially with cheats; especially opening up later levels or areas of the city that have better, IMHO, day time/light graphics.
Trip WHOkins?!?
World's greatest 3DO Need for Speed racer [even 'X man' says so, digitally immortalized in the game...R.I.P.] http://3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopi ... ight=speed

FZ-10
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FZ-10 » Mon May 26, 2014 10:06 pm

This has been one game I've been really interested in. Reminds me of carmagedon for some reason.

I've seen video of it, and it's not the best from what I can tell, but I really want to give it a go anyway. Hopefully I'll find an affordable copy.
podcast & vidcast @ gaikokugamers.com
daytonausa @ atariage.com
lostworldarcade @ xbl

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu May 29, 2014 10:13 pm

I have a very bad opinion of this game. But I am willing with an open heart, to give it another go :)

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Fri May 30, 2014 4:37 am

sneth wrote:
FUJISAN wrote:

<Name in Japan>
3DO=カランティーン
SS=デス・スロットル
PS=ハードロック・キャブ

I always got a kick out of the name for the Saturn version. It sounds like the name of a serial killer b-movie. :lol:

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Fri May 30, 2014 5:12 pm

3DOKid wrote:I have a very bad opinion of this game. But I am willing with an open heart, to give it another go :)
It has some rogue-like qualities, in that some sittings you just cant make any progress.
The game did require a beefy computer to run it, so the 3DO version is not a perfect port. The only thing you should notice missing is the street texture. The framerate holds up really well.

Once you realize it's an open world sandbox game, prior to GTA, it becomes very impressive. You have a large overhead map with all sorts of areas to explore and blow up.
It's one of my favorite games from the era.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:35 am

Gunstar wrote:From what I recall, the PC and other console versions are a bit better graphically, in that they have ground texturing that the 3DO version lacks. I've also heard from reviews that "they took a really good PC game and turned it into a mediocre 3DO game." But I do enjoy playing the 3DO version myself, especially with cheats; especially opening up later levels or areas of the city that have better, IMHO, day time/light graphics.
Yeah, but according to youtube, everything is a lame 3DO game, so yeah, it seems these kids find any reason to tear down the system and it's games. Don't know why, but it is what it is. While I don't think that Quarantine is the most amazing game ever made, I can respect it for what it was at the time and be impressed with what thyey were able to do with it. Damn the reviewers. :lol:

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:56 am

I'm reading 'Snow Crash' for the first time and for some reason Quarantine reminds me of elements of that story. Does anyone else think this game is Cyberpunk inspired?

Barone
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Barone » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:22 am

a31chris wrote:Does anyone else think this game is Cyberpunk inspired?
It sure is. IMO. :P

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:25 pm

I burned a memory manager and there is a quarantine save game. I just need to figure out why the game isn't reading it or what I'm doing wrong. I have cleared out space of things that have not been used. Am eager to dig back into this game and give it a try.