Dave Needle

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

ewhac
3DO ZERO USER

Dave Needle

Post by ewhac » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:35 am

I regret to inform the membership that Dave Needle has passed away. RJ Mical announced the sad news on Facebook.

Dave Needle was one of the hardware designers of the Amiga computer, chief hardware designer of the Atari Lynx, and chief hardware designer of the 3DO Multiplayer.

Though I worked near him at NTG/3DO, I never really knew him all that well. The man I did know was brilliant, hard-working, and hilarious, and it was always a joy to spend time around him.

I have an impromptu interview with him that I recorded about a year and a half ago that I never did anything with. It is my intention to share it some day soon.

I will miss him very much.

Kyosho
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Dave Needle

Post by Kyosho » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:27 am

My condolences. That really sucks. Do you know if he was aware of this community and how devoted people are to his creation? I mean, the Amiga was a huge hit, but the 3DO, not so much. I hope he did.

klogg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by klogg » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:44 pm

RIP :cry:
3DO Brazil website (in portuguese): http://www.3dobrasil.com.br

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:18 pm

Was saddened by this - I only knew Dave via his body of work. The news still left me feeling quite empty. May he rest in peace.
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:04 am

Thanks for passing on the sad word, ewhac. Like most here, I only knew Mr. Needle by his work in the field, but it nonetheless makes me feel a bit sad to know that he's gone. After all, said work had made my life a little bit happier.