Wolfenstein 3D Aarrghhh!

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Retrofanatic83
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Wolfenstein 3D Aarrghhh!

Post by Retrofanatic83 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:02 am

It is a superb game. I played it through on every difficulty on the Jaguar and that only has half the levels the 3do one does. Currently about half way through the zombies only mission on 3DO and I do like it and it is pretty hard feels like health disappears fast if you get surrounded
Do think jaguar version plays smoother and looks nicer and I prefer the music but the 3do game is also superb and I look forward to starting again on the 3rd difficulty once I have done everything on "normal". Also like how the easy setting has the character wearing a baby hat :lol:

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:42 am

I never realized this version had all the levels from the PC original. I always played "The Original Encounter" which is the top option when you start a new game. I thought that was just a compilation of all the selectable episodes below, but nope--each of those episodes are recreations of the levels from the six-episode MS-DOS version. Holy crap does this game have a ton of stages..

Retrofanatic83
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Retrofanatic83 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:49 pm

Indeed. I am on the last selection of missions now and it's been superb. Sad it's about to end. I still have the hardest difficulty to do. I was playing the default difficulty as it was under the easiest one which I could tell was that by the baby hat and is in Japanese so assumed it was normal. Have enjoyed it immensely and was annoyed it was one of the few region locked games but glad I eventually got a real one and didn't burn it. Superb port. Also like how you can strafe with shoulder buttons. Much as I love the jaguar version it literally does have half the levels and strafing while acceptable as it has to be done on that pad, is not as good as using L and R. Really enjoying some of the later levels having never played them before.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:54 pm

Can't believe I haven't posted in this thread before. Wolfenstein 3D is one of my favorite 3DO games, and it's definitely one of the most polished releases the system got. I actually prefer the gameplay and themes over Doom. It's much more stealth-based, and really gets the blood pumping. In general there's something appealing about those early first person games where you only have two dimensions to worry about, one of which is that it leaves you a lot fewer places to run to. And of course nothing, just nothing, beats that grandiose orchestrated soundtrack.