The game that got canceled!

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Re: The game that got canceled!

Post by mattyg » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:34 pm

I bought my original 3DO on the belief that "A World for all Seasons" was being released. That was the biggest disappointment for me
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

mikemacdee
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mikemacdee » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:02 pm

I was curious about Isis and kind of sorry it wasn't released.

I'm not sure if I. M. Meen was supposed to have a 3DO release in addition to the Sega CD release that never happened, but I would love to have that on the 3DO as well. It could've been one of the better shooters on the console.

goldenband
3DO ZERO USER

Post by goldenband » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:37 am

mikemacdee wrote:I was curious about Isis and kind of sorry it wasn't released.
I have the Mac version kicking around -- I should give it a spin!

klogg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by klogg » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:55 pm

Disruptor. DISRUPTOR! I found out he was originally a 3DO game because of the videos of Ewhac and Gammadev. Funny that I always enjoyed this game on PS1 because I think it had an air reminiscent of the 3DO, perhaps because the soundtrack and FMV intros.
3DO Brazil website (in portuguese): http://www.3dobrasil.com.br

mikemacdee
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mikemacdee » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:55 am

klogg wrote:Disruptor. DISRUPTOR!
I was wondering why they mentioned Disruptor in one of the Monster Manor videos. That woulda been cool to have on 3DO, too. An overlooked PS1 gem.

klogg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by klogg » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:12 pm

mikemacdee wrote:
klogg wrote:Disruptor. DISRUPTOR!
I was wondering why they mentioned Disruptor in one of the Monster Manor videos. That woulda been cool to have on 3DO, too. An overlooked PS1 gem.

Gammadev said that he even saw the game running and it was pratically finished. I wonder if there is a version out there (perhaps Bitrate can say a thing or two about this).

Saffron
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Saffron » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:34 pm

I remember playing disruptor and exhumed demos on my Playstation, they were cool for that time, it would be great to have them for 3DO. Exhumed was made for the Saturn, so it would probably be "easily" converted to 3DO, as both uses quad rendering.
You can't take the sky from me

klogg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by klogg » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:47 pm

If I'm not mistaken, exumed uses the SlaveDriver Engine, the same as PO'ed on 3DO. Would have been a relatively easy port.

CRV
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CRV » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:44 am

klogg wrote:If I'm not mistaken, exumed uses the SlaveDriver Engine, the same as PO'ed on 3DO. Would have been a relatively easy port.
MobyGames says PO'ed uses SlaveDriver, but that doesn't make any sense. I don't see anything else that says that.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:53 am

CRV wrote:
klogg wrote:If I'm not mistaken, exumed uses the SlaveDriver Engine, the same as PO'ed on 3DO. Would have been a relatively easy port.
MobyGames says PO'ed uses SlaveDriver, but that doesn't make any sense. I don't see anything else that says that.
Yeah, SlaveDriver was designed specifically for PowerSlave (a.k.a. Exhumed), hence the name. And PowerSlave didn't come out until well after PO'ed.

klogg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by klogg » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:59 pm

Martin III wrote:
CRV wrote:
Yeah, SlaveDriver was designed specifically for PowerSlave (a.k.a. Exhumed), hence the name. And PowerSlave didn't come out until well after PO'ed.
I do not remember where I read it, probably from a page that used this MobyGames text as reference.

goldenband
3DO ZERO USER

Post by goldenband » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:16 pm

Going back to Gir Draxa's earlier post, it's interesting to go month-by-month and look at what alternatives we have for these unreleased games, e.g.:

December 1995
Chess Wars - released on PC
ISIS: Earth Wind & Fire - released on PC/Mac
Maximum Surge - unreleased on any platform, Windows 95 demo is available, later re-edited into a movie (!)
Shootout at Old Tucson - arcade version ran on 3DO hardware and has been dumped, doesn't work on console?
Theo the Dinosaur - 3DO prototype exists

January 1996 - we have it all

February 1996
Clayfighter II - released on SNES
Deadly Skies - released on PlayStation in Japan, all other versions canceled
The 11th Hour - released on PC, etc.
Olympic Multi-Sport - is this Olympic Games: Atlanta 1996?
Return to Zork - released on PC, etc.

March 1996
Golden Gate - released on PC
Lost Vikings II - released on SNES, PlayStation, etc.
NHL '96 - released on Genesis, SNES, etc.
Olympic Basketball - no idea about this one
Wing Commander IV - released on PlayStation, etc.

April 1996
Disruptor - released on PlayStation
Frankenstein - assuming this is Frankenstein: Through the Eyes of the Monster, released on PC/Mac and Saturn (EU only)
Kingdom II - released on CD-i, Mac/PC, etc.
Mortal Kombat 3 - do I really need to say? :D
Waterworld - we have a mix of released versions and protos on other systems; complete or near-complete Saturn version exists, isn't dumped

So the good news is that with the exception of Olympic Basketball, we have some way of playing some version of all those games. Only after that does the real pain begin. :(

EDIT: Whoops, I forgot Waterworld. OK, so the pain begins early.
Last edited by goldenband on Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

goldenband
3DO ZERO USER

Post by goldenband » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:33 am

Just for my own amusement, I'll do some more:

Absolute Zero - released on PC/Mac
Alone in the Dark 3 - released on multiple platforms
American Blonde - released on video
angel devoid - released on PC/Mac
Ashley is Cheating, Are You? - can't find anything
Atlantean Book Of Destiny - released on PC/Mac
Baldies - released on Jaguar CD, PlayStation
Baseball - no idea
B.I.O.S. Fear - 3DO prototype exists
The Blind Spot - released on video
Cadillacs & Dinosaurs: The Second Cataclysm - released on Sega CD, PC
Channel Blonde - released on video
Discworld - released on PlayStation, Saturn, PC/Mac
Doom II - do I really need to say anything?
Dragon - no idea what this is, and the developer name listed is in Japanese -- is it 末定?
Dragon's Lair II - released on CD-i and many other platforms
Duelin' Firemen - unreleased, but tons of video from this is out there
Eye Spy - can't find much about this, but weird that it's the name of a Zhadnost mini-game - coincidence?
Firewolves - no idea

zetastrike
3DO ZERO USER

Post by zetastrike » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:17 pm

Mega Man X3. Apparently the version actually existed and was available very briefly at retail. There's a thread on this board that discusses it. I already have it on the Saturn, but I'd love to see how the game runs on the 3DO, if parallax was removed/if the game scrolls at 60 fps.

It would have been so nice if the 3DO was successful....

goldenband
3DO ZERO USER

Post by goldenband » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:51 pm

zetastrike wrote:Mega Man X3. Apparently the version actually existed and was available very briefly at retail.
Huh, really? I knew it was in development but hadn't heard about a retail version. Are there pics available?

I found a reference to "Silly Classix: At the Museum" (which was mentioned earlier in the thread) in The Video Game Bible, 1985-2002. All the other games they mention were released, so it's very odd to include an unreleased game -- albeit with no information beyond the title, publisher (VideoactV), and a $12 price (!).

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:34 pm

goldenband wrote:
zetastrike wrote:Mega Man X3. Apparently the version actually existed and was available very briefly at retail.
Huh, really? I knew it was in development but hadn't heard about a retail version. Are there pics available?
I haven't heard of a retail version, either, and the Mega Man X3 Wikipedia article says it wasn't released. Of course Wikipedia varies for reliability from article to article, but I happen to know that the Mega Man articles are overseen by a Mega Man buff who is very objective and extremely thorough in his research. I recall hearing that 3DO X3 was actually completed (save perhaps playtesting) before it was cancelled, and when games are cancelled that close to release it tends to spawn rumors that they were actually released. This is probably because so much promotional information about the game has gone out, often including reviews in major publications which list the game as "out now" in anticipation of the release date arriving by the time the magazine reaches retail stores. There's been similar confusion about the Saturn version of Return Fire.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:59 am

I highly doubt it. If it was available at retail, even if only in small numbers, we would known about it a long time ago.

MathUser
3DO ZERO USER

Post by MathUser » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:56 pm

The game that interests me the most is definately MK3. This is the first time I heard of Megaman X3 coming to 3DO. It's too bad that didn't work out.

vampyre mike
3DO ZERO USER

Post by vampyre mike » Tue May 05, 2015 7:57 pm

I would have totally dug some more FMV/Mystery titles. I had the 7th guest on the PC but don't remember getting it to work as a kid, so that or the sequel would be stellar. =)

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Tue May 26, 2015 7:03 pm

It's kind of funny how the console version of The 7th Guest ended up being a CD-i exclusive. I would have liked it to have come to the 3DO just so I could have a look at it, but it's hard to begrudge CD-i fans one of their system's few well-regarded exclusives.