My process for making Jaguar cart dust covers

It does float! And doesn't get soggy in milk! :)

Moderator: a31chris

Saturn
3DO ZERO USER

My process for making Jaguar cart dust covers

Post by Saturn » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:43 pm

Hi, wanted an online resource in case my hd ever crashes or it's another 20 years before I need to make one. This is what I came up but if anyone can improve on any part of the process, please do :) Out of the 3 templates I made, the following was the best and quickest. The 17th (last) dust cover I made yesterday took 14 minutes from start to finish.

Items/tools needed:
12" ruler (single use)
tape measure
pen or pencil
scissors
8.5x11 printer paper
3/4" wide black electrical tape
.72" wide popsicle stick or tongue depressor (can be bought for almost nothing in packs from WalMart or dollar stores' crafts sections)
Scotch tape
Wire cutting pliers (or some other way to easily cut 1/16" wood)

Steps for making the templates: (one time deal)
Made a rectangular template out of thicker/stronger paper cut at dimensions of 9-1/2" x 1-1/8"
Drew "fold" lines across the 1-1/8" width @ 2-1/4" , 2-3/4" , 6-15/16" , 7-9/16"
Drew reference marks at 3/8" from bottom edge on both ends
Marked a popsicle stick at 4", then cut it for a template

Steps for making the actual covers:
1. Tear off and place 2 small pieces of Scotch tape nearby (conveniently placed to manipulate w/ one hand later)
2. Outline the template on a regular piece of 8.5 x 11 printer paper. (also place marks @ fold lines and 3/8" locations)
2a. Draw a line from one 3/8" mark to the other down the length of the paper for reference later.
3. Mark a .72 inch wide tongue depressor or popsicle stick @ 4"
4. Cut out the paper outlined by the template
5. Pull out enough length of electrical tape (about 12") and let it sit for a few seconds to retract to a relaxed state
6. Line the top edge of the cut out with 9-1/2" of 3/4" black electrical tape @ the tape's 3/8" halfway mark
7. Using scissors, cut along the fold marks approximately 3/8" at the 4 places marked
8. Turn the paper around and cut into the electrical tape 3/8" (until you reach the paper it's adhered to) directly across from the previous cuts. It doesn't have to be perfect so 'eyeballing' it will be fine.
9. Fold the tape sections over the top of the paper and affix them on the other side, creating a taped edge w/ splits all the way down the length on that edge.
10. Take a Jaguar cart with the label facing the the widest part of the paper and wrap the paper around it with the ends meeting near the center rear of the cart.
11. Line up the upper electrical tape edges and lightly remove any slack but don't pull it too tight as it will be difficult to remove the cover later.
12. Take one of the small pieces of Scotch tape and secure the electrical tape edges together
13. Turn the cart upside down and line up its bottom edge w/ the 3/8" line drawn at step 2a.
14. Fold the split edges of the paper down like a box top
15. Use the other piece of Scotch tape to secure the four 'flaps' in the center
16. Check the front of the cart with the electrical tape edge to ensure it runs evenly across the face of the label
17. Pull out enough length of electrical tape (about 6") and let it sit for a few seconds to retract to a relaxed state
18. Starting about 1/8" under the electrical tape upper edge on one side of the cart, press the electrical tape around the bottom of the cart's newly attached paper, and up the other side. Cut the elec tape about 1/8" under the upper edge (to match the other side)
19. Pull out enough length of elec tape to encompass the entire cart (about 10") and let it sit for a few seconds to retract to a relaxed state
20. Starting at the middle in back of the cart, stick the tape about 1/16" under the top edge of the 'folded tape' and without stretching it, run the tape around the cart, covering up any visible white paper, to meet again at the starting point
21. If all white paper areas are covered, gently & evenly press along the tape to secure it
22. Slide the cover off the cart w/out destroying the somewhat fragile integrity of the encasement. (if it's difficult to remove, try a less tight wrap around the cart in step 19)
23. Cut the marks on the popsicle stick from step 3 with wire cutting pliers (cut with the smaller piece facing into a garbage can as the force from the 'snap' when it gives, will launch the fragment in the opposite direction at about 30mph lol)
24. Check/measure to make sure the remaining piece is 4" or (even better) just under and that any rough edges/splits are filed down
25. Place the modified popsicle stick into the dust cover and press it down against the bottom to firmly seat it into position
26. Place the dust cover back on the cart

Walter_j64bit
3DO ZERO USER

Re: My process for making Jaguar cart dust covers

Post by Walter_j64bit » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:20 pm

Got any pics?

Saturn
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Saturn » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:30 am

Here are a few. Limit is three per post but there are more at Proppa :)
Attachments
s.jpg
s.jpg (50.91 KiB) Viewed 11937 times
cart11.jpg
cart11.jpg (57.76 KiB) Viewed 11937 times
cart10.jpg
cart10.jpg (70.31 KiB) Viewed 11937 times

Saturn
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Saturn » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:30 am

Uno mas :p
Attachments
ss.jpg
ss.jpg (100.46 KiB) Viewed 11937 times

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:35 am

those look really good

i could show you the 1 i made with cardboard pizza box top and masking tape if i felt like digging out my jag games :D
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

Saturn
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Saturn » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:46 pm

I'm interested in seeing, if you dig them out. I'm always looking for new ideas or better ways 8)

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:59 pm

Saturn wrote:Thanks :)
I'm interested in seeing, if you dig them out. I'm always looking for new ideas or better ways 8)
just looked for it and i think i sold that game with the cover, i only had 1 loose game cybermorph.

all i did was cut a piece of cardboard fold it around the end and taped it together then cut off any parts that stick out. just make sure all the folds are on the outside or you will be fighting getting the cover on :)
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

Saturn
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Saturn » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:51 pm

Sounds easy enough, thanks for the info :)