Probe, the lowest bidder?

It does float! And doesn't get soggy in milk! :)

Moderator: a31chris

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Re: Probe, the lowest bidder?

Post by Austin » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:55 pm

I originally planned to do a side by side of all the versions. Now that I have a Jag again, maybe I can get back to that.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:32 pm

Austin wrote:I originally planned to do a side by side of all the versions. Now that I have a Jag again, maybe I can get back to that.
My capture equipment when its working is not great. The ATI AIW I have does not really take sharp video. I guess from looking it up combining two videos so they play side by side is not that hard and can be done in MS MovieMaker.
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:51 am

Trying to learn some good combos other than the ones I do by accident. All the videos do them real fast and its not good to learn with.

Austin you have any tips? Pointers?
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

Austin

Post by Austin » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:59 pm

I mainly use Chaos. If you want to try to mess with him, this is my bread-'n-butter combo when done right (although you're going to have to figure out what it means, because I completely forgot what acronyms PR uses for its high punch/low punch, low kick/high kick, etc).

Jump in -> low kick (while in air) -> down + both kicks (still in the air) -> (on the ground) punch -> down + fierce kick (he will do a sweeping motion with his hand while ducking) -> down + both kicks (he will trip the enemy) -> hold left punch + left kick and tap forward twice (this initiates his shoulder slam) -> down + both punches (he does a dual uppercut which will hit the enemy while they are still in the air).

Not sure if that makes any sense or not, but play around with it and see what you can do. To get used to that combo string, practice each part on its own. For instance, any time Chaos trips a character with down + both kicks, he can go straight into the shoulder slam then down + both punches combination. Some parts of the string require you to execute moves and other attacks faster than others, so experiment. If you watch my Let's Play video of the 3DO version (link: http://youtu.be/paHyu2KH_g0 ), I probably manage to pull it off at least a couple of times. If you do it right, you will probably get the thunderbolts in the background along with the "wacky combo" label, or something like that. Primal Rage always makes it feel rewarding when you pull off a nice long combo.

I mainly stick with the apes when I play this game, with Chaos being my main character. Him and Blizzard are great for practicing combos with because they both have stun attacks (Blizzard with his freeze moves, and Chaos with his fart attack). I find Blizzard's combos more difficult because instead of the fast shoulder slam that seems to come out of nowhere, he has a wind-up punch he tosses out while lunging across the screen, depending on the strength of the attack used. Blizzard is probably a better beginner character though (he was my introduction to the game) because you can keep spamming the projectile freeze move as if you were playing as Sub-Zero in a Mortal Kombat game.

*edit: I do a shorter variation of that combo string above at around the 17:55 mark in my video. Timecode link straight to that part in the video: http://youtu.be/paHyu2KH_g0?t=17m55s

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:11 am

Thank you. It would be very cool if sometime maybe you could do a clinic on Jaguar PR combos. I would LOVE to see that.

Austin

Post by Austin » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:40 pm

a31chris wrote:Thank you. It would be very cool if sometime maybe you could do a clinic on Jaguar PR combos. I would LOVE to see that.
Haha.. I don't know. I would need a Pro Controller for one. And a Jag CD at that, so.. Yeah. It would be a while, if I ever did get around to it.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:00 am

Something I realized about Primal Rage that I like over Mortal Kombat. Mortal Kombat has what I call 'cheap' characters. Like Liu Kang with his fireballs and his flying kicks and Mileena with that drop through the ceiling attack that she does. These characters are so frustrating for me and those moves so hard to counter that it kills some of the enjoyment for me.

Primal Rage is blessedly free from that. I like that.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:29 am

a31chris wrote:Something I realized about Primal Rage that I like over Mortal Kombat. Mortal Kombat has what I call 'cheap' characters. Like Liu Kang with his fireballs and his flying kicks and Mileena with that drop through the ceiling attack that she does. These characters are so frustrating for me and those moves so hard to counter that it kills some of the enjoyment for me.

Primal Rage is blessedly free from that. I like that.
Actually, depending on what version of MK you are playing, there are moves and such you can do to get around those attacks. I believe, if timed right, in Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, for example, you can actually catch Liu Kang as he flies through the air at you and turn it into a throw. It's very difficult to do, but there are Airiel counters in that game. Just saying. But yes, I agree that MK has some cheap crap going on in the game. When playing MK II, which was once my Favorite of the series, it irritates me that any projectile you throw, or if you do a pop under move like Raiden's teleport, it seems like the computer ALWAYS blocks them. Same with Scorpions harpoon rope. It surely doesn't play like a real person would.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:58 am

Austin wrote:I mainly use Chaos. If you want to try to mess with him, this is my bread-'n-butter combo when done right (although you're going to have to figure out what it means, because I completely forgot what acronyms PR uses for its high punch/low punch, low kick/high kick, etc).

Jump in -> low kick (while in air) -> down + both kicks (still in the air) -> (on the ground) punch -> down + fierce kick (he will do a sweeping motion with his hand while ducking) -> down + both kicks (he will trip the enemy) -> hold left punch + left kick and tap forward twice (this initiates his shoulder slam) -> down + both punches (he does a dual uppercut which will hit the enemy while they are still in the air).
Yeah like you said I'm going to have to practice this while breaking it down into parts.

Jump in-> low kick(while in air)-> down+both kicks(?? hit both kick buttons?)

One thing I noticed about PR that is unlike MK is that sometimes, depending on whats happening a button can be a kick or a punch.

Going to write the first sequence down and work on it.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:04 am

Will doing that combo make the lightning and thunder sequences happen?

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:39 am

Hey Saturn buddy you out there? We should work on doing these combos together on PR! See if we can get the lightning to crash and the thunder to boom.

...The thunder rolls and the lightning strikes, another love grows cold on a sleepless night...

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:20 am

I worked on this a little bit. Interesting note, when standing there is no 'kick' button for Chaos. They are all assorted punches. When you are in the air though two buttons turn into kicks, high and low. Still confused on which one I was using.

Anyways I got the first two sequences to work more often than not. Just keep trying until I got it to say '2 hit combo'. Its interesting playing 2 player by yourself. I seen my opponent go 'berzerk' (Talon) from me beating up on him. Its nice that PR has those touches that MK doesn't. Especially the visual rewards system for combos. I think PR is an underrated fighter.

Though I suck so bad I'm probably no judge.

Tomorrow I'll practice a little more then add one more step to that combo sequence.

Saturn
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Saturn » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:38 pm

a31chris wrote:Hey Saturn buddy you out there? We should work on doing these combos together on PR! See if we can get the lightning to crash and the thunder to boom.

...The thunder rolls and the lightning strikes, another love grows cold on a sleepless night...
I'm all over it lol.
I need to dig out my pro controller again. Gotta warn you though, I suck at fighters and they're my least favorite genre-minus the original Dead or Alive game on PS1. Couldn't get enough of that 'bouncing' effect from the ladies' characters :p

EDIT:
Just for reference. I'm using Blizzard and trying to learn that freeze breath move:
* Blizzard
* Short Mega Punch : (HQ+LQ)+(Aw,T)
* Quick Mega Punch : (HP+LP)+(Aw,T)
* Long Mega Punch : (HF+LF)+(Aw,T)
* Fake Mega Punch : (HQ+LQ)+(D,U)
* Freeze Breath : (HP+LF)+(Aw,T)
* Ice Geyser : (HP+LF)+(D,U)<close>
* Punching Bag : (HQ+LF)+(T-D-Aw-U), HQ@
then for wind-up: HF/LQ/LF
* Air Throw : <in air> (HF+LQ)
* Throw : (HF+LQ)+(T-D-Aw-U)
* Brain Bash^ : (HP+LF)+(D,D-Aw-U-T)
* To-Da-Moon^ : (HP+LP)+(D,D,D,D,U)
* Redemption^ : (HP+LP)+(D,T,U,D,U)
* Chomp a Human : (HP+LP)+(Aw-U-T-D)

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:32 am

Here, print this out. Its a PR move list from Atari Times. The way they set it up is awesomeness. I did and I keep it handy when I'm playing PR. For me its indispensable now.

http://www.ataritimes.com/index.php?ArticleIDX=29

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:25 am

Austin wrote:I mainly use Chaos. If you want to try to mess with him, this is my bread-'n-butter combo when done right (although you're going to have to figure out what it means, because I completely forgot what acronyms PR uses for its high punch/low punch, low kick/high kick, etc).

Jump in -> low kick (while in air) -> down + both kicks (still in the air) -> (on the ground) punch
Am going to try and incorporate this next move into it. Though its not clear what punch I am suppose to use. I will just try different ones.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:26 am

I wonder if I could get Gregory DG to translate these combo steps into his visual move guide. THAT would be way gnarly.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:05 pm

Just the Jump in -> low kick (while in air) -> down + both kicks (still in the air) is friggin hard to pull off so that it scores a combo if the PC is controlling second player. Man...

I have been thinking if I were the producer of this game in 'hindsight' I'd start out with a 64 color version like it was on the Genesis. Get the sprites to arcade size and then start putting in frames of animation.When the team got a decent set of animation frames in there so that it looked good I'd then try for doubling the colors to say 128. And see how it went from there etc.

This is all in hindsight of course.