Game Sack episode

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Game Sack episode

Post by Martin III » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:37 pm

For those who weren't already aware, Game Sack just released an episode on the 3DO. Pretty much well done as usual for these guys, though there are a couple of instances where they clearly did not know how to play the game they were reviewing (e.g. Space Hulk, Lucienne's Quest). I especially enjoyed their overviews of Gex and Burning Soldier, and Killing Time enthusiasts will be pleased to hear that they actually give props to the game.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Re: Game Sack episode

Post by Austin » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:11 pm

Martin III wrote:though there are a couple of instances where they clearly did not know how to play the game they were reviewing (e.g. Space Hulk, Lucienne's Quest).
This happens frequently with these guys. Their content is high quality and for the most part the show is great, but you can tell they really reach out for content to use as filler, even if they aren't that experienced with said-content. I think this is due to the fact that they cover so much in each episode and have covered so much in the past, that they find themselves running out of options when it comes to things they have had legitimate time/first-hand experience with (i.e., not playing a game for more than ten minutes to get footage for an episode). Fortunately it seems that they both owned 3DO systems in the past, so I could take their word a little more seriously (especially when they talked about playing some of the games when they were new), but I could also easily tell what you were talking about with certain games, like Space Hulk (uh, hey, it's a strategy game first and foremost; it needs to be played like one, not a FPS). I personally noticed in the Burning Soldier portion he wasn't using the homing attack, which makes me think he didn't know the function exists. Also, in the NFS section it didn't sound like they realized that the 3DO version was meant to be a simulation racing game, while the PS1 and Saturn conversions obviously took more of an arcade-style direction. Still, it was a good episode and they pretty much talk about the system the way I would.

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:49 pm

Yeah, some of their mediocre games are my favorite ones.

It's such a good show, I won't hold it against them. They did dedicate a lot of time to this one too.
Their awkward bromance is the best.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:01 pm

Austin wrote:
Martin III wrote:though there are a couple of instances where they clearly did not know how to play the game they were reviewing (e.g. Space Hulk, Lucienne's Quest).
This happens frequently with these guys. Their content is high quality and for the most part the show is great, but you can tell they really reach out for content to use as filler, even if they aren't that experienced with said-content. I think this is due to the fact that they cover so much in each episode and have covered so much in the past, that they find themselves running out of options when it comes to things they have had legitimate time/first-hand experience with (i.e., not playing a game for more than ten minutes to get footage for an episode). Fortunately it seems that they both owned 3DO systems in the past, so I could take their word a little more seriously (especially when they talked about playing some of the games when they were new), but I could also easily tell what you were talking about with certain games, like Space Hulk (uh, hey, it's a strategy game first and foremost; it needs to be played like one, not a FPS). I personally noticed in the Burning Soldier portion he wasn't using the homing attack, which makes me think he didn't know the function exists. Also, in the NFS section it didn't sound like they realized that the 3DO version was meant to be a simulation racing game, while the PS1 and Saturn conversions obviously took more of an arcade-style direction. Still, it was a good episode and they pretty much talk about the system the way I would.
I have to admit I hadn't considered that they might be pressured into covering more games than they're well-versed in. Guess that's one of the unfortunate consequences of having a major gaming channel. I agree, though, overall it was an unusually fair and accurate overview of the 3DO.

So Burning Soldier has a homing attack? How do you do it? My copy of the manual still has a couple pages stuck together, so I only know how to do the regular attack and the charge attack.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:42 pm

Martin III wrote:So Burning Soldier has a homing attack? How do you do it? My copy of the manual still has a couple pages stuck together, so I only know how to do the regular attack and the charge attack.
I thought it was a homing attack, but maybe I'm wrong? I do remember charging though, so maybe the charge attack is what I'm thinking of. I don't know, it's been a couple of years since I last played it. I have my 3DO out again, so I'll have to give it another shot.

FZ-10
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FZ-10 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:03 am

I know it sounds mean but I stopped watching their videos because they were grossly wrong on things like that several times in the videos I watched. I'm not saying you have to know everything, but don't spout it off as fact. Its OK to say you're not sure on something than spread misinformation.

Kinda like how I can't watch undertow reviews on classic game room. That guy just....irritates me with how much misinformation he spouts just to be witty. I like mark much more than him.
podcast & vidcast @ gaikokugamers.com
daytonausa @ atariage.com
lostworldarcade @ xbl

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:38 pm

FZ-10 wrote:I know it sounds mean but I stopped watching their videos because they were grossly wrong on things like that several times in the videos I watched. I'm not saying you have to know everything, but don't spout it off as fact. Its OK to say you're not sure on something than spread misinformation.
Meh, people make mistakes, and when each game in the video is getting only a 40-second capsule summary, only a fool would expect pinpoint accuracy. Even professional gaming publications make the occasional goof. (Lately I've been perusing Electronic Gaming Monthly and Sega Saturn Magazine, so I can name about a half dozen examples of genuinely-face-palming falsehoods in print right off the top of my head.) If they were making errors on the featured subjects of their episodes, I'd be more concerned about Game Sack. As it is, my concern is that you're placing too much trust in other gaming sources.