Top Scratches, the bane of Retro Gamers and CD's

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Top Scratches, the bane of Retro Gamers and CD's

Post by T2KFreeker » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:04 pm

Hell Yes, you read my title just right, Top Scratches are HELL! How many here buy used games? Be careful or you may get yourself a disc with top scratches. Know how to tell? hold the disc up to light with the label side away from you. If there is a part of the silver part of the disc you can see light through like it's glass, you have top foil scratches. More attention needs to be brought to this issue as top scratches are worse than the scratches on the bottom of the disc and many people have no clue what it is. A dot ot two actually might not kill your game, believe it or not, however, it just might. Depends on how this works. As for full on scratches in the foil where it's a long straight line or whatnot, forget it, your disc is toast. I just don't understand how hard it is for people to put the game discs back in their sleeves/cases. Just annoying because people like us come along and buy the game just to have it come to a grinding halt because of a damn top foil scratch. I just got in my Dragon Lore discs and disc 2 has a couple of dots. I am hoping they don't kill the game because disc 1 and 3 look flawless. I don't understand it. Worst spot on the disc to get the dreaded dots too as they are towards the center where the disc first starts reading. Bah!
Last edited by T2KFreeker on Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Top Scratches, the boon of Retro Gamers and CD's

Post by T2KFreeker » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:13 am

You know, after some research, I have come to the conclusion that you might be able to use silver VOID stickers on the tops of your disc to save the game. Only reason I am thinking this is that the laser needs to reflect back to read and they are shiny bottomed, meaning they may reflect back the laser beam allowing the disc to be read still. Not sure if this would work, but if the disc is already ruined, what's the worst that will happen, it's more ruined? Any thoughts on this possibility?

goldenband
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Top Scratches, the boon of Retro Gamers and CD's

Post by goldenband » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:58 am

I've heard of people who successfully restored pressed CDs with reflective substances, so it's certainly worth a try. Somehow I didn't realize until a few years ago that the reflective layer on a silver CD had no data -- it's all in the polycarbonate, which is actually fairly resilient. I guess I got used to dealing with CDRs, where damage to the dye layer is completely irreparable.

BTW I think you meant "bane", not "boon" in the title. ;)

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Re: Top Scratches, the bane of Retro Gamers and CD's

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:52 pm

I have gotten Audio CDs to work again by using a black marker on the top. All the laser needs is to be able to read where the light comes back and since it is still smooth on the other side and the data is sandwiched between the two it's ok. I've done this several times. B-52's Good Stuff CD comes to mind. I colored in the entire back with a black permanent marker because the silver was deteriorating and it played again. It did continue to break down as it was poor manufacturing not a scratch but I was able to rip it until I got another CD. I've also wondered about chrome spray paint but if you know the spot than black marker worked fine.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:07 pm

3DO Experience wrote:I have gotten Audio CDs to work again by using a black marker on the top. All the laser needs is to be able to read where the light comes back and since it is still smooth on the other side and the data is sandwiched between the two it's ok. I've done this several times. B-52's Good Stuff CD comes to mind. I colored in the entire back with a black permanent marker because the silver was deteriorating and it played again. It did continue to break down as it was poor manufacturing not a scratch but I was able to rip it until I got another CD. I've also wondered about chrome spray paint but if you know the spot than black marker worked fine.
Hmm, I appreciate the response on this. Nice to know that I just need to get the reflective surface back for sure. I am sure than my label theory will work. I was looking through my other games and realized my copy of PO'ed also has top dots. WTF? This is still why I hate buying used, dammit!

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:02 pm

The label idea probably will work as well. My only worries would be the texture of the glue reflecting the laser somewhere else (probably not a real problem) but also it would make the CD's weight off center. That sticker, while not weighing much, will put the CD off balance. Yes there are clamps to hold the disc but depending on where the sticker is and the strength of the whole assembly is could cause issues. I'm only mentioning this as I've had this very issue with DVDs. Mind you the pits and lands are a different size, disc spins at different speeds, ect ect ect many differences but if you do the label please share where is was placed and your results.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:28 pm

3DO Experience wrote:The label idea probably will work as well. My only worries would be the texture of the glue reflecting the laser somewhere else (probably not a real problem) but also it would make the CD's weight off center. That sticker, while not weighing much, will put the CD off balance. Yes there are clamps to hold the disc but depending on where the sticker is and the strength of the whole assembly is could cause issues. I'm only mentioning this as I've had this very issue with DVDs. Mind you the pits and lands are a different size, disc spins at different speeds, ect ect ect many differences but if you do the label please share where is was placed and your results.
Hmm, you just reminded me of the weight distribution issue. Shite! Well, plan B is the marker? :lol: See, the problem is that I can see putting the label on and it screwing things up and then if I go to pull the label off it takes more of the foil off! Bah!

Silanda
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Silanda » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:02 am

Unless your games are actually not working properly, don't do anything. All you'll be doing is risking causing further damage by trying to fix something that isn't even a problem in most cases. The error correction can cope with a surprising amount of dots, and not all of them are user inflicted damage anyway. CDs can have them from day one as manufacturing defects. My PAL launch copy of Virtua Fighter 3 for the Dreamcast has always had a metal layer that looks like Swiss cheese. It works fine.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:43 pm

Silanda wrote:Unless your games are actually not working properly, don't do anything. All you'll be doing is risking causing further damage by trying to fix something that isn't even a problem in most cases. The error correction can cope with a surprising amount of dots, and not all of them are user inflicted damage anyway. CDs can have them from day one as manufacturing defects. My PAL launch copy of Virtua Fighter 3 for the Dreamcast has always had a metal layer that looks like Swiss cheese. It works fine.
While I am not doubting you, I have had a copy of Out of this World come to a screeching halt from just one little dot and a copy of PO'ed boot up but the character can't move anywhere because of multiple dots. I'll see what happens anyway. I appreciate the feedback though.

P5ychoFoz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by P5ychoFoz » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:43 pm

My PAL Johnny Bazookatone has a big hole in the foil and will not run past the first intro screen.

As it won't run, there's nothing to lose in me trying to fill the hole with something reflective.

I'll rig something up and let see what happens.

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:38 am

Have a look at this...

My Need For Speed disc has a simular issue, but still works.
The man that beat the self proclaimed "best in the world" at The Need For Speed...