That mysterious cable into my FZ-1

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

CatPix
3DO ZERO USER

That mysterious cable into my FZ-1

Post by CatPix » Sat May 31, 2014 11:44 am

While chatting about the 3DO on another forum, someone said "all 3DO have S-video".
And I said "meh, not all of them! Mine doesn't! And I can prove it."

So I took pics of the system, and I looked inside, because... I like looking inside things :mrgreen:

And much to my surprise, the S-video plug appears to be there and is soldered to the PCB!

It's a first surprise; but second, what is THAT? :

The cable have 8 wires inside. It was cut, but I suppose that it was going out of the system from the hole ove the white sticker.

Any idea? I'm not tech guy, and I haven't found much technical data about what the 3DO guts does.
I can only suppose things.
Interestingly, someone foudn that picture :
from a Chinese forum/site :
http://game.ali213.net/thread-2919362-1-1.html
Where the RF out have been replaced by a 8 pins Mini-Din connector. And that's the number of wires coming from that cable in mine.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Re: That mysterious cable into my FZ-1

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat May 31, 2014 3:31 pm

And your power cord has been modified as well. Interesting.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

CatPix
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CatPix » Sat May 31, 2014 9:50 pm

This is more explainable, as this unit is a NTSC model, and I'm in France, so it was modded to 220V 50htz.
However, it's probably a second-hand mod, as it's way less refined than the addition of this cable.

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:15 pm

We saw similar things with the Panasonic units sold here in Australia. As they had no official release boutique importers modified them themselves with mixed quality and results. When Goldstar finally launched here they had correct factory installed 240v power supplies but remained NTSC. Not a brilliant move.
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

CatPix
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CatPix » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:03 pm

This was seen here too. Amazingly, a large supermarket line here sold Japanese Megadrive before the European release, with the Japanese AC replaced by an Euro AC and a non-official SCART RGB cable shipped with the console. I can't recall if the units were outputting 60 or 50 htz however.

But that's not the AC adaptor that baffles me :mrgreen: