I Beat Street Fighter!!

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

FZ-10
3DO ZERO USER

I Beat Street Fighter!!

Post by FZ-10 » Mon May 26, 2014 11:58 pm

While not the hardest achievement for some of you long time 3DO fans, this is an amazing accomplishment for me :). I wasn't even playing on the easiest difficulty, haha.

Seriously, usually with SF games (say, on the Saturn or SNES) I get to a certain point where I just can't win anymore. And I have NEVER beaten M. Bison. Ever.

Well I did it today on my awesome new 3DO :). Even took a picture of the "winning" screen shot :). Wooohoo!

podcast & vidcast @ gaikokugamers.com
daytonausa @ atariage.com
lostworldarcade @ xbl

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Re: I Beat Street Fighter!!

Post by T2KFreeker » Tue May 27, 2014 2:17 am

Nicely done man. Hopefully you have more fun with the 3DO too. I love seeing new fans come along and play the system. It really was a nice console. New fans means new interest, and maybe, just maybe, a new programmer can get new interest and make a new game or two even. Just takes one.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

FZ-10
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FZ-10 » Tue May 27, 2014 3:25 am

T2KFreeker wrote:Nicely done man. Hopefully you have more fun with the 3DO too. I love seeing new fans come along and play the system. It really was a nice console. New fans means new interest, and maybe, just maybe, a new programmer can get new interest and make a new game or two even. Just takes one.

Thanks man. Yeah, because the press always lumped in the CD-i with the 3DO (quite unfairly...) I never bothered giving the system a chance. When I was in college, I had the opportunity to get an FZ-1 for 50 bucks, but I passed. It was the first time I bothered to really look at the system, to be honest. The marble-look top definitely got my attention. It was a very unique looking system.

I have an intro thread here I posted yesterday, check it out. Talks about a lot of this. The system is very impressive, and I love it. It'll be getting a LOT of attention, trust me.

Super SF II Turbo alone is so well done it's worth the price of the system. How people aren't buying these in droves yet at this point is beyond me.

Does this forum have a high score club? Would be pretty cool if we did. I'll also forward our podcast's co-host here. Just convinced him to get a 3DO as well :).
lostworldarcade @ xbl

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Tue May 27, 2014 5:13 pm

FZ-10 wrote:Super SF II Turbo alone is so well done it's worth the price of the system.

How people aren't buying these in droves yet at this point is beyond me.
I'll be honest when I say, I'm glad the 3DO isn't all that popular. problem is with popularity is that software becomes much more scarce and much, MUCH less affordable. Just look at what has happened to the Jaguar in the last 5 years or so. It went from a console a decade ago that you couldn't GIVE AWAY the games for to a console whereby, even the common title are starting to climb to 'uncomfortable' prices (i.e. $25 - $30).

Let's just keep it our little secret, eh? :wink: :P

-

Well done re: completing SSF2T btw. FYI, if you play the game and manage to finish the majority of your opponents with Super Finishes and the odd Perfect here and there, you will actually face off against the TRUE boss of the game in the closing stage: Akuma/Gouki.

When you square off against Bison/Vega at the end, Akuma will slide onto the screen, "Raging Demon" Bison and you'll have to defeat him instead! Good luck :wink:

FYI...

When SSF2T launched for the 3DO in '93, it COMPLETELY DECIMATED all the other home console versions at that exact time.

Comparable versions of this game at home didn't actually arrive (in fact) until Capcom release Street Fighter Collection for PS1 & Saturn in (potentially) '97 - 3 or 4 years later!

The SNES & MD versions are on no level comparable whatsoever. Firstly, they were only the Super version of SF2, not the Super Turbo iteration which came after Super, which was a MASSIVE revision > Super itself.

Also, the 3DO version was VERY CLOSE to being Arcade Perfect. It's not unfortunately. Not quite... as it lacks the scrolling parallax backgrounds found in the Arcade (and in previous 16-bit console releases on SNES & MD too). However, to my knowledge and, imo, more importantly, it does retain MUCH more detailed sprites and much greater levels of animation - as per the arcade original.

Honestly, if you played 3DO SSF2T and then SNES or MD 'Super' thereafter, it REALLY is night and day.

It truly was a privilege to have 3DO's SF2 running in your living room back in the day/'93, as it truly was the next best thing to the Arcade/CPSII version in your actual living room. Not to mention, that Arranged Soundtrack that eventually founds its way onto other versions of the game.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Wed May 28, 2014 6:15 am

Exactly what NeoGeo Ninja said. One of the best versions still. I really think it has the timing down better than any of the other home versions I have played anyway. I still like it better even than the version that was released on the SF Anniversary Edition for PS2 and XBOX also because they screwed with the AI in that version.

FZ-10
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FZ-10 » Wed May 28, 2014 7:16 am

Yeah, it does "feel" really good. I'm a Street Fighter fan, but this game has made me a fanatic for SF II. Seriously, it just feels so good in its motion, hit detection and AI.

And I can see your point about not having the 3DO popular, but in a way I have to disagree a little. I think it's coming back a bit. I've noticed a lot of people have been talking about it outside my threads, and other people are getting systems on other forums for their first time.

I've also noticed that system and game prices are higher then they were even just a handful of years ago. I remember when 3DOs were 50 bucks used. Unless you get a crappy Goldstar, you'll be spending a minimum of double that.

Also, I think it would be nice if the system got the respect it should. I don't want SWARMS of fans coming over. Nothing like what the Saturn and N64 are seeing right now, no no. But a big more recognition past "wasn't it that system that released around the time of the crappy CD-i? Did it have that horrible Zelda game on it and nothing but horrid FMV games?" would be really, really nice. It deserves to be known for the great system it was.
lostworldarcade @ xbl

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Fri May 30, 2014 3:57 am

So, your thread has inspired me to pull Super Street Fighter II Turbo out and play it. You know what? I am way out of practice. I used to be able to beat it in one sitting with no continues and with Shin Akuma as the boss. I must have pissed my 3DO off too because it's all about super blocking abilities none of the characters had in the first place. :D Seriously though, I need more practice for sure. I wish more people still played this game that lived near me. :mrgreen:

FZ-10
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FZ-10 » Fri May 30, 2014 4:09 am

T2KFreeker wrote:So, your thread has inspired me to pull Super Street Fighter II Turbo out and play it. You know what? I am way out of practice. I used to be able to beat it in one sitting with no continues and with Shin Akuma as the boss. I must have pissed my 3DO off too because it's all about super blocking abilities none of the characters had in the first place. :D Seriously though, I need more practice for sure. I wish more people still played this game that lived near me. :mrgreen:

You and me both, man. I just recently moved to Arizona with my wife for a new career here. It's great, don't get me wrong... nearly a paradise to be honest with you. But my friends are either in Canada or back in Ohio, and no one around here seems to play ANY games, none the less older classic ones.

I was thinking, maybe we should have a "High Score Club" in the forums. You know what? I'm going to make it....
lostworldarcade @ xbl

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Fri May 30, 2014 4:51 am

NeoGeoNinja wrote:When SSF2T launched for the 3DO in '93, it COMPLETELY DECIMATED all the other home console versions at that exact time.
NeoGeoNinja wrote:It truly was a privilege to have 3DO's SF2 running in your living room back in the day/'93, as it truly was the next best thing to the Arcade/CPSII version in your actual living room. Not to mention, that Arranged Soundtrack that eventually founds its way onto other versions of the game.
Sorry to nitpick, but it was actually released in late 1994.