Klax concept work

It does float! And doesn't get soggy in milk! :)

Moderator: a31chris

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Klax concept work

Post by a31chris » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:00 am

Here is a quick video I grabbed of VladRs work on the Jag from a conceptual standpoint of 3D Klax on the Jaguar.
Attachments
Klax3D.zip
(94.99 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Klax concept work

Post by T2KFreeker » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:37 pm

Seriously, finish this and take my money. I adore KLAX and really think it's one of those "Lost" tites that people just never really gave much of a chance with. You want arcade perfect bliss, check the Turbografx 16 version, it's sweet, like candy. The voices aren't as clear, but everything else is almost pixel to pixel perfect. Gives the Lynx version a run for it's money and can both be played on a portable and the big screen!
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:35 am

What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:08 pm

Although I'm not into puzzle games, given the almighty fuss this has kicked up over at a certain Atari forum, I'm more than interested to see how this turns out.

It's definitely a hot topic right now! :mrgreen:

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:41 pm

NeoGeoNinja wrote:Although I'm not into puzzle games, given the almighty fuss this has kicked up over at a certain Atari forum, I'm more than interested to see how this turns out.

It's definitely a hot topic right now! :mrgreen:
Yeah, it's KLAX. It's the one Atari puzzle game that many people felt there should have been a sequel too, but it just never happened. Factor in the lack of a proper home port for the longest time, and it really hurt too. The Turbografx 16 and the LYNX were the only two systems to get an almost arcade perfect port for the longest time. Even the Midway Arcade Treasures disc versions that were taken from the Arcade boards have issues here and there. Still, I am intrigued with this one.

Walter_j64bit
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Walter_j64bit » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:14 pm

We to get VladR overhere before the sharks at AA rip him a new one!
VladR's Klax looks be interesting.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:19 pm

I doubt we will ever see it finished. He keeps saying its not worth it because only one or two would be interested etc.

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:10 pm

Walter_j64bit wrote:We to get VladR overhere before the sharks at AA rip him a new one!
VladR's Klax looks be interesting.
This ^

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:56 am

a31chris wrote:I doubt we will ever see it finished. He keeps saying its not worth it because only one or two would be interested etc.
Well, that's a bummer then. Seems to be the story in this community anymore. Sad, to be honest. I was so disappointed when Atari Owl threw in the towel as his project looked to have so much promise.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:25 pm

T2KFreeker wrote:
a31chris wrote:I doubt we will ever see it finished. He keeps saying its not worth it because only one or two would be interested etc.
Well, that's a bummer then. Seems to be the story in this community anymore. Sad, to be honest. I was so disappointed when Atari Owl threw in the towel as his project looked to have so much promise.
Unfortunately I seen the writing on the wall with that a long time ago. Its the same here with Vlad I think. He keeps saying Klax isn't that popular and he seems to be looking for a reason not to finish. When people are looking for a reason to bail they usually will find one.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:56 am

T2KFreeker wrote:
a31chris wrote: I was so disappointed when Atari Owl threw in the towel as his project looked to have so much promise.
That was one I was looking forward to as well. :(
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

The Laird
3DO ZERO USER

Post by The Laird » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:10 am

I know Vlad signed up on RVG but I wish he would come talk to us, a lot of people there willing to help who would snap up a game like this. I can't understand why he continues to post and take abuse over at AA.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:13 am

The Laird wrote:I know Vlad signed up on RVG but I wish he would come talk to us, a lot of people there willing to help who would snap up a game like this. I can't understand why he continues to post and take abuse over at AA.
AA is still probably the most popular retro game forum in the world. And Vlad seems to be more of a concept guy. He likes trying out concepts. I'm not actually sure if he's ever actually put together a whole game before.

Perhaps if he releases his source someone else can run with it.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:07 am

In the RVG interview with Daryl Still he talks about Klax being his favorite game when asked what his favorite Jag game was. Not sure if they were porting this over or not or what it means.

http://www.retrovideogamer.co.uk/index.php?topic=3028.0

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:20 pm

a31chris wrote:In the RVG interview with Daryl Still he talks about Klax being his favorite game when asked what his favorite Jag game was.
It's because KLAX is an amazing game. Nice to see some fanfare for a game that get's dumped on way too often. Now everyone, go buy a Turbografx so you can play the superior version. Unless you have the Coin Op sitting around, that is. At that point, puts you Elite in my eyes.

The Laird
3DO ZERO USER

Post by The Laird » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:40 pm

a31chris wrote:In the RVG interview with Daryl Still he talks about Klax being his favorite game when asked what his favorite Jag game was. Not sure if they were porting this over or not or what it means.

http://www.retrovideogamer.co.uk/index.php?topic=3028.0
It's not well worded there but he was referring to the Lynx version, his favourite game for that machine. I do remember Darryl telling me that he really campaigned for a Jag version though but Atari thought it was old hat by then.

Shame because some of those Tengen/Atari Games coin-ops like Klax, STUN Runner, Race Drivin', Road Riot, Pit-Fighter, Guardians Of The Hood and Escape From The Planet Of The Robot Monsters would have made superb launch games for the Jag.