should I buy a Jaguar CD?

It does float! And doesn't get soggy in milk! :)

Moderator: a31chris

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

should I buy a Jaguar CD?

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:24 pm

...to compare and contrast with mighty 3DO -- or would it be a waste of money?

What ever decision we come to, I have to explain more wasted cash to the missus.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:40 pm

if your going to do it for comparing games i wouldnt bother
now if you want to collect for it because thats what you do then go for it

i still wouldnt have one if i didnt get an awesome deal for a jaguar/CD unit with 12 games (8CD and 4 carts) for $120 shipped, the jag Cd alone used to go for $100 to $150 easy

plus there is only 12 or 13 Cd games (of which i have 8 games)
these are what i can think of
Baldies
Battlemorph
Blue Lightning (bundled)
Braindead 13
Dragon's Lair
Highlander: The Last of the MacLeods
Hover Strike: Unconquered Lands
Iron Soldier 2
Myst
Primal Rage
Space Ace
Vid Grid (bundled)
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:39 pm

...they have some Homebrew for the JagCD -- but it's too late, you've put me off. Thank you. And Mrs 3DO Kid, although she doesn't know, thanks you too.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:45 pm

wow that was easy :)

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:07 pm

It's been touch and go for years. 12 games - most of them on the 3DO? I'll survive without it. ...maybe.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:19 am

Uhm, let's be honest here, there really are some fun Jaguar CD games out there that are not on the 3DO guys like Painter and GORF, which is about to get an official re-release. Battlemorph alone is worth the purchase. Also, Vid Grid is actually pretty damn fun for a puzzle game. Also, the Jaguar Sector II Extremist Pack 4 is coming here soon. The VLM is still awesome as hell also as it does put the light show thingy that the 3DO does look very silly compared to it. I can get you heeked up with a Jag CD unit for about $75.00, which isn't bad as long as you have the Jaguar itself.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:26 am

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

$75 you say :D Seems reasonable! How do I get one for that much?

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:51 am

i knew T2K would pipe in thats why i said wow that was easy :D

i bet if the M2 actually was released there would be more of an interest in homebrews for the 3do by now, atari had a established name, the name 3do has is "WHAT? $700 you got to be kidding" name :)

i also dont by to many modern releases for systems i usually stick to what was released at the time of the systems (i only have 3 carts - 1 CD bought after the system died, beggar prince, beef drop, Decathalon, and the CC2)

still the Jag looks awesome with the CD unit sitting ontop of it :D
just like the original Sega Cd unit looks good underneath the Genesis ;)

pitsunami
3DO ZERO USER

Post by pitsunami » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:28 am

I bought a jaguar cd to play primal rage :lol:

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:11 am

3DOKid wrote:RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

$75 you say :D Seems reasonable! How do I get one for that much?
Let me check my connections and I'll get back to you momentarily. Easy as pie.

Jason

Hound
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Hound » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:41 am

I picked up a nice Jaguar CD for 50 dollars on Atariage not too long back, so don't go by Ebay prices. Those can get into the ridiculous range. 75 is a fair price. Can't say I have much for the unit, but I do own it. Tempest 2000 is interesting.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:50 am

The jaguar with a CD on it looks like a toilet seat. There is no getting away from this.

T2K - Mate - I'm waiting with baited breath.

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:46 pm

3DOKid wrote:The jaguar with a CD on it looks like a toilet seat. There is no getting away from this.

Don't do it!

Lemmi didn't include World Tour Racing but that's it. Why would you waste so much money on a console with barely any games on it? Especially when a good number of 'em are already on the 3DO. Do you really wanna waste so much cash just to play Myst on the Jaguar CD?
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:51 pm

3DOKid wrote:The jaguar with a CD on it looks like a toilet seat. There is no getting away from this.
whats wrong with that? when it breaks you can teach animals to use it

my prices are always ebay/online prices, and prices from 3 years ago :D
when i get an item, that search is removed from ebay ;)
I picked up a nice Jaguar CD for 50 dollars on Atariage
my Jag collection would be small if i didnt buy a guys collection from Atariage (it was my first buy off the forums) with like 20+ games and a boxed Jag for $120 shipped. i only had 7 games before
i did get a clean Vectrex from Albert at Atariage for $75 shipped
the funny thing is that i bought a multicart about a year earlier but i had nothing to play it on :lol:

you can find some great deals on AA but you have to weed though the guys who want ebay prices, and the guys who live only in the forum and pounce on all good deals - i havent looked in that forum in about a year (thats when i bought the Vec) :)
good luck 3dokid i hope you get a nice CD unit

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:59 pm

UnholyTancred wrote:

Don't do it!

Lemmi didn't include World Tour Racing but that's it. Why would you waste so much money on a console with barely any games on it? Especially when a good number of 'em are already on the 3DO. Do you really wanna waste so much cash just to play Myst on the Jaguar CD?
i knew i forgot something :)
why waste $270 on a Treamcast which is only a dreamcast with a screen?
because i really really really wanted it :lol:

unless the system i buy comes with games i have on other systems, i usually wont buy the same game for other systems,
like Myst, i got with my Jag CD unit but i already had it for the 3DO, if the Jag didnt come with Myst i wouldnt buy it because i already have it
does that make any sence?

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:20 pm

UnholyTancred wrote:

Don't do it!

Hey man, you also forgot the awesoem Iron Soldier 2, which was sweet, like candy, to quote a well known Gecko around these parts. The Jaguar CD has quite a few games on it that are not on the 3DO man. Just because you havea 3DO doesn't mean you can't have a Jaguar CD man. What is all the hate for the Jaguar around here anyway? It was a cool system with a nice fat handfull of pretty good games. Granted, all of the games on it aren't the greatest, but like everything that released for the 3DO was a gem? I love both systems and other people can too.

@3DOkid, waiting on a reply man, I'll let you know ASAP. The guy can be slow at times, so give it a little time. :lol:

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:32 pm

T2KFreeker wrote:Hey man, you also forgot the awesoem Iron Soldier 2, which was sweet, like candy, to quote a well known Gecko around these parts. The Jaguar CD has quite a few games on it that are not on the 3DO man. Just because you havea 3DO doesn't mean you can't have a Jaguar CD man. What is all the hate for the Jaguar around here anyway? It was a cool system with a nice fat handfull of pretty good games. Granted, all of the games on it aren't the greatest, but like everything that released for the 3DO was a gem? I love both systems and other people can too.
I'm not hating the Jaguar. I just don't the see the justification of buying an expensive console that barely has any games on it (*cough* PS3 *cough*).

I bought a Jaguar around 6 months ago for $25 on ebay. It came with 2 controllers, AC adapter, shitty RF cable, and 2 games (Zool 2 and Cybermorph). Zool 2 is just a generic mediocre platformer that got boring fast. Cybermorph is just ridiculously bad.

These are the only 2 games that I played for the Jaguar. Since I'm an open-minded person, the 2 games I've experienced are not enough for me to love or hate the system. I wish I had more Jaguar games to check out but even crappy ones go for around $15 on ebay. Alien Vs. Predator goes for around $50 so I can forget about that. I already have Tempest for the Saturn and I can get Rayman for the Saturn as well.

Besides Checkered Flag and Cybermorph, most of the other Jaguar games go for a pretty penny on ebay. And I'm not about to waste $15 on Bubsy.

I'm really interested in Towers 2 but that game pops up once every now and then on ebay for $150+ prices. So until I get some extra cash to buy Jaguar games, it'll remain in my closet collecting dust.
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:55 pm

...I Hate the Jaguar. Hate it. Loath it with every fibre of my being. And a pox on the people who keep it alive. May they rot in the bowels of hell for eternity -- and then some.

...but you should really try Power Drive Rally (thing), Raiden and Pitfall. 2D? Yes. But not bad, and cheap too.

...[cough, cough] erm, yes, anyway, a pox be upon anyone who supports the Jag, as it is the work of Beelzebub and all his little demons.

3DO kid.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:03 am

3DOKid wrote:...I Hate the Jaguar. Hate it. Loath it with every fibre of my being. And a pox on the people who keep it alive. May they rot in the bowels of hell for eternity -- and then some.

...but you should really try Power Drive Rally (thing), Raiden and Pitfall. 2D? Yes. But not bad, and cheap too.

...[cough, cough] erm, yes, anyway, a pox be upon anyone who supports the Jag, as it is the work of Beelzebub and all his little demons.

3DO kid.
Uhm, hello? I am standing right here man? :lol:

As for your rationale of Tempest 2000 on the Saturn, well, that is all well and good, but it doesn't have the nice Goraud shaded graphics or Paddle control support. The game is superior on the Jaguar also because it don't have the bugs that the Saturn of Playstation versions have. Also, on Rayman, the game is better on the Jaguar as well. The game was actually originally designed on the Jaguar originally befor the PSX and Saturn ports were done. It has more color and more frames of animation on the Jaguar as well as levels the other versions do not. :mrgreen: Just thought I would point that out.

I would recommend, cart wise, for the Jaguar;

Tempest 2000
Missile Command 3D
Iron Soldier
DOOM
Towers II
Power Drive Rally
Pitfall
Syndicate
Flip Out
Raiden
Ultra Vortek
Battlesphere (Yeah, $500.00 cart all!)
Worms
AVP
Protector
Pinball Fantasies
Ruiner Pinball
Super Burnout
Breakout 2000

Yeah, stay the Hell away from Checkered Flag though. Great graphics for it's time, but the controls are ass!

Gir Draxa
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Gir Draxa » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:29 am

UnholyTancred wrote:
T2KFreeker wrote:Hey man, you also forgot the awesoem Iron Soldier 2, which was sweet, like candy, to quote a well known Gecko around these parts. The Jaguar CD has quite a few games on it that are not on the 3DO man. Just because you havea 3DO doesn't mean you can't have a Jaguar CD man. What is all the hate for the Jaguar around here anyway? It was a cool system with a nice fat handfull of pretty good games. Granted, all of the games on it aren't the greatest, but like everything that released for the 3DO was a gem? I love both systems and other people can too.
I'm not hating the Jaguar. I just don't the see the justification of buying an expensive console that barely has any games on it (*cough* PS3 *cough*).

I bought a Jaguar around 6 months ago for $25 on ebay. It came with 2 controllers, AC adapter, shitty RF cable, and 2 games (Zool 2 and Cybermorph). Zool 2 is just a generic mediocre platformer that got boring fast. Cybermorph is just ridiculously bad.

These are the only 2 games that I played for the Jaguar. Since I'm an open-minded person, the 2 games I've experienced are not enough for me to love or hate the system. I wish I had more Jaguar games to check out but even crappy ones go for around $15 on ebay. Alien Vs. Predator goes for around $50 so I can forget about that. I already have Tempest for the Saturn and I can get Rayman for the Saturn as well.

Besides Checkered Flag and Cybermorph, most of the other Jaguar games go for a pretty penny on ebay. And I'm not about to waste $15 on Bubsy.

I'm really interested in Towers 2 but that game pops up once every now and then on ebay for $150+ prices. So until I get some extra cash to buy Jaguar games, it'll remain in my closet collecting dust.
Hmm, I've found more Jaguar games rummaging through the closeout bins at KayBee Toys and such. It's just taking the time to look in some of the out of the way places that makes ebay appealing for getting the common titles for Jag.

I gave away my Jag about 2 years ago now, but I know I still have a few titles. Heck, I found a Jag controller today with the AvP overlay for the marine still on it. :D Anyone wants the stuff let me know. (lots of left over Saturn US & Jap titles too)

Drax
CEO of The (in search of a home) CD-i & 3DO Collectives

Just slightly behind at being ahead of our time!

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:35 am

I have a few games for the Jag, only buy ones that look good... AVP rocks! But what's so special about Battlesphere?
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:24 am

3DO Experience wrote:I have a few games for the Jag, only buy ones that look good... AVP rocks! But what's so special about Battlesphere?
Hmm, well some things that are awesome about Battlesphere is that first of all, the graphics are pretty spiffy and proves some myths about the Jaguar wrong. The game runs without slowdown, period, even when you are playing 16 PLAYERS multiplayer. No split screen, but all done with the Jag Link. The graphics run in high res and the game still runs at 24 fps. On top of all that, it is a homebrew and does this! The guys that worked on the game busted their asses and really hate the fact that the game sells for as much as it does. That is why they stopped selling the game. They would put it out for the $120.00 they were charging for it and people would list it on ebay before they even got it in their hands. It also came with a ton of stuff to boot, so you got extra stuff that made the price worth it.

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:34 am

T2KFreeker wrote: As for your rationale of Tempest 2000 on the Saturn, well, that is all well and good, but it doesn't have the nice Goraud shaded graphics or Paddle control support. The game is superior on the Jaguar also because it don't have the bugs that the Saturn of Playstation versions have.
Yea well

CD audio > cart audio

Any day of the week.
-Vladimir Lenin

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:39 am

UnholyTancred wrote:
T2KFreeker wrote: As for your rationale of Tempest 2000 on the Saturn, well, that is all well and good, but it doesn't have the nice Goraud shaded graphics or Paddle control support. The game is superior on the Jaguar also because it don't have the bugs that the Saturn of Playstation versions have.
Yea well

CD audio > cart audio

Any day of the week.
Okay? I'm just saying that the game looks and plays better on the Jaguar. Seriously man, I really could care less about the "Best" graphics or the "Best" sound out there. I want games that are fun to "play". Seriously, look at EA these days. Back in the day, the games they made may not have had the most cutting edge graphics or sound, but the games were awesome and full of depth, just a pleasure to screw around with or take seriously and beat. The games they make now usually look amazing, but that's it. They are generally old, stale, and seem to lack direction, but they sure look and sound pretty. If I want to see pretty, I'll watch Lord Of The Rings or Star Wars Episode III. When I pop in a game, I want deep gameplay and story, or just fun.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:29 am

T2KFreeker wrote:
3DOKid wrote:...I Hate the Jaguar. Hate it. Loath it with every fibre of my being. And a pox on the people who keep it alive. May they rot in the bowels of hell for eternity -- and then some.

3DO kid.
Shh! I'm just keeping up appearences. Shhh! And further more Jaguar owners will blah... blah... blah...

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:41 am

3DOKid wrote:
T2KFreeker wrote:

3DO kid.
Shh! I'm just keeping up appearences. Shhh! And further more Jaguar owners will blah... blah... blah...

ENLOY THE JAGUAR CD WHEN IT ARRIVES 3DOKID. IT SHIPS OUT TOMORROW. :lol: Seriously though, it goes out tomorrow and you should hopefully get it pretty fast. Let me know all is well.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:22 am

[cough... Cough]

Everyone. I am merely removing it from circulation you understand.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:00 pm

3DOKid wrote:[cough... Cough]

Everyone. I am merely removing it from circulation you understand.
we dont believe you
we all know you are a closet jaguar fan (like me)
i just love giving the anal jag fanboys a hard time :)

back in 1997 i heard from a friend that babagges found some jaguar consoles and were going to sell the rest off, i actually hunted down the damn system, i had to call all the stores to see if they had any and the closest one was an hour away
a year earlier i couldnt find anything but games for the system in stores

the best thread on atariage was Jaguar vs Toast and i think Toast was winning before it was removed :D

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:37 pm

The game I want for the Jag is Pitfall. I've emu'd the rom a few times and it looks brilliant but nothing beats playing something on the real hardware!

3DO Kid.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:17 am

i wanted Pitfall for the jag also but since i already had it for the Genesis, i never bought it
plus i still love the originals pitfall and pitfall 2 for the 2600