A good reason to play 3DO

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

A good reason to play 3DO

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:24 am

I am filled to the brim with aggression and ready to pop. I figured I'd take it out on King of Fighters '98 followed by a little Magician Lord. I drag out my NEO-GEO and isn't the video cord F*ing MIssing!!?>! RRRRAAAAAAAAGGGGGGEEEEE!

Can't find it anywhere, think I'll pull out a 3DO and play some Wolfenstein 3D.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Re: A good reason to play 3DO

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:00 am

Ahhhhhh that feels better. Nothing like mowing down Nazis to release anger.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:29 am

Wolfenstein 3D is a great game to play when you need to let off steam!
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:21 am

Yeah, it's my go-to game when something is bothering me too. I unfortunately forgot to play test Hide The Baby.

THE 1 2 P
3DO ZERO USER

Post by THE 1 2 P » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:57 am

Trev wrote:Wolfenstein 3D is a great game to play when you need to let off steam!
I would say that about most fps games. It also keeps you from doing something ill-advised in real life. But yes, killing nazis is always fun.
Current Wants: Bodycon Digital Rave Part 1, 3DO Live demo disc, Mind Teazzer big box.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:54 pm

Wolfenstein 3D works great that way. It has a very long story mode to play through, yet it also makes a good "pick up and play" experience. Not many 3DO games like that, sadly. (Not that I'm complaining about how many "read the 50-page manual and devote the next month of your life" games the system got, as those are appealing in their own way.)

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:59 pm

As my gaming time is spread even thinner as I get older, Wolfenstein 3D is one of the few reasons I still bring out my 3DO once in a while.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:17 am

Ah yes, Wolfenstein 3D. Funny as it is, I adore the Jaguar version of this game, but the 3DO versions soundtrack is so nice. Both versions are great, but I have found myself playing the 3DO version more and more over time. Very good stuff. I don't know which game get's more play out of me; Wolfenstein 3D, Escape From Monster Manor, or Killing Time. I love all three of them for their own reasons. I need to pick up the Tatsujin games again as those are pretty nice as well.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:08 pm

3DO was the FPS console back in the day!
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:57 pm

Trev wrote:3DO was the FPS console back in the day!
Hmmm.

Jaguar had awesome versions of Doom and Wolf 3D (updated > the original), not to mention AVP!
3DO had Killing Time as it's primary killer app, supported by a great port of Wolf 3D and PO'ED and a poor mans Doom (sorry!).

I would honestly say it's tit for tat tbh Trev 8)

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:07 pm

Well, it was the FPS console, that is, until people started pumping them out on the PS1 and N64. ;)

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:07 pm

Defcon 5 is pretty good. As is Iron Angel of Apocalypse 2. Deathkeep? (does that count?)

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:19 am

NeoGeoNinja wrote:
Hmmm.

Jaguar had awesome versions of Doom and Wolf 3D (updated > the original), not to mention AVP!
3DO had Killing Time as it's primary killer app, supported by a great port of Wolf 3D and PO'ED and a poor mans Doom (sorry!).

Nah, the number of quality fps games on 3DO dwarfs the Jag's small library. I do love AVP though.

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:56 pm

NeoGeoNinja wrote:Hmmm.

Trev wrote:Nah, the number of quality fps games on 3DO dwarfs the Jag's small library. I do love AVP though.
'Dwarfs' AVP, Doom and Wolf3D?

Okay. Bearing in mind the word "quality" and, obviously (as I know you'll appreciate) the subjectivity of what constitutes BOTH quality and an FPS, what games does the 3DO have that are FPS that reach the same levels exhibited by AVP, Doom and Wolf3d back in 93/94 etc?

Genuine question as I'm clearly not very well versed in the subject and would like to try these for myself!

As mentioned, I feel Killing Time, Wolf 3D and Po'ed are all 'quality 3DO FPS's, but other games I own/have played, I wouldn't put "up there".

Including:

Vengeance of the Blood Angels (great 'quality' game, but more of a team strategy FPS > standard FPS)
Tetsujin (I like it, flaws and all, but not what I term a 'quality' FPS)
Escape from Monster Manor (again, not up to the quality standards of those listed by me originally, but I still enjoy it)
Defcon 5 (again, it's decent, but I'd always choose those initial 3 > it)
Doom (errr)

I never played Cyberdillo (a game I know you have a soft spot for!) and I haven't had the pleasure of Tetsujin 2 yet ( I really want it though, as I like the 1st game).

So, looking over this list... YES, it's easier to read/see how the 3DO had an advantage of number of FPS's over the Jaguar, but I still feel that in terms of proper, full-quality FPS releases, that it was pretty even. Including the additional great titles (that don't perhaps fulfill that straight forward, full on FPS-style action ppl expect from an FPS i.e. Space Hulk, Defcon 5, Tetsujin etc) I would be inclined to say that the 3DO has the edge, but, like I said, I still feel it's pretty tit for tat :mrgreen:

They're all just opinions at the end of the day, eh?

Also, any FPS's that I have missed/haven't played?!

It'd be nice for some other PPL to get involved in this conversation, especially those who love both consoles (i.e. like you and I!) 8)

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:17 am

For me, I love AVP! I actually think it's better to both Po'ed & Killing Time. I don't care for Doom, although clearly the Jag version trumps the embarrassing 3DO port in every way except music. I think Wolfenstein 3D on 3DO is superior to the Jag version in many ways however. I say that as someone whose owned both. The Jag version is great, but the 3DO version offers a far better experience!

I think 3DO & Jag each can lay claim to great FPS games. 3DO's leg up is that it can also lay claim to a number of good FPS where as the Jag's small library means it lacks the variety and diversity 3DO has.

There are some First Person hybrids that might not be considered FPS outright but are very much cut from that cloth. Immercenary comes to minds - a fps with rpg elements. It is one of my favorite 3DO games ever!

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:59 am

Trev wrote:For me, I love AVP! I actually think it's better to both Po'ed & Killing Time. I don't care for Doom, although clearly the Jag version trumps the embarrassing 3DO port in every way except music. I think Wolfenstein 3D on 3DO is superior to the Jag version in many ways however. I say that as someone whose owned both. The Jag version is great, but the 3DO version offers a far better experience!

I think 3DO & Jag each can lay claim to great FPS games. 3DO's leg up is that it can also lay claim to a number of good FPS where as the Jag's small library means it lacks the variety and diversity 3DO has.

There are some First Person hybrids that might not be considered FPS outright but are very much cut from that cloth. Immercenary comes to minds - a fps with rpg elements. It is one of my favorite 3DO games ever!
Fair points Trev. Fair points 8)

I've been meaning to pick up Immercenary for some time. At one point, it was really common as muck on eBay (UK), then, last few times I checked, it was really sparse. I really want it too. Gah!

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:35 pm

I'd say both Iron Angel of the Apocalypse and Immercenary are similar to Space Hulk, Defcon 5, Slayer, and Deathkeep, in that whatever label you choose to attach to them, their gameplay experience is not what most people associate with the term "1st person shooter". In fact, of those six I'd say Slayer and Deathkeep are the ones which come closest to being conventional 1st person shooters (disclaimer: I haven't actually played Space Hulk or Defcon 5, though I have seen videos of them).

I'd chime in on the 3DO vs. Jaguar 1st person shooters discussion, but as I haven't actually played any Jaguar games, I'd be talking through my hat.

Neo, I really like Immercenary too, but just as a forewarning: It scores much higher on the "interesting" meter than it does on the "fun" meter. If you haven't already, read Trev's review of Immercenary on these forums. It does a great job of covering both the positive and negative points of the game.