3DO Zone Name

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

3DO Zone Name

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:18 pm

It upsets original 3DO people. Shall we change it?

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Re: 3DO Zone Name

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:16 pm

It only bothered me in the beginning but I am very used to it; we would have to have one hell of a good name to replace it with.

PS. Just tested the word filter, so if it did change any posts with the old name could be swapped. At the risk of sounding pretentious "The 3DO Experience" could be a good fit. I always like the 3DO Experience on 3DO boxes & manuals, I was floored that it wasn't taken when I signed up. I don't mind changing my username, I already used 3DOExp when signing PMs. Of course I'd also have to go through the forums and make changes to when people have referred to me by my old username.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:29 pm

I don't mind changing it to 3DO Experience - and I don't mind you keeping your 3DO Experience name.

Any objections?

3DO Si
3DO ZERO USER

Post by 3DO Si » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:57 pm

Sounds good!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:45 pm

A topic like this is just begging for a poll! Could one be added?

I really don't see any reason to change the name. Maybe if this was a new forum, but it's been active for over 6 years now! What exactly are the issues some have with it?
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:51 pm

In ewhacs video, he mentioned that the press at the time would refer to 3DO as 3DZero in a negative way. I vaguely remembered this, but it apparently 'grates' on former 3DO COmpany members. I can relate to that, so...

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:59 pm

I can certainly understand the annoyance at the time. Not sure how much it really matters now though, since the console has been discontinued for 17 years. I still say add a poll to see what other members think about it. If it really is a big deal to most, go for it. I can't imagine it being so however.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:02 pm

I'm not a big fan democracy.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:47 pm

Surely we can regard our usage of the name as a cheek reversal of the way the contemporary press used it, sort of like "Yankee Doodle"?

NikeX
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NikeX » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:41 pm

If we rename it "3DO Experience" it sound too much like "REAL Interactive Multiplayer"
too long. More like "3DObit" or "3DOrbit"

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:23 pm

what's wrong with "Zero"?
is it too close to 3d0 rather than 3DO?

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:40 pm

sneth wrote:what's wrong with "Zero"?
is it too close to 3d0 rather than 3DO?

Yeah, in a nutshell.

My assumption was it was Resident Evil Zero, or NSX Zero

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:45 pm

Meh... I don't know. I say if the name bothers some, maybe they are in need of a reality check: the 3DO has been dead for a very long time, and the the amount of people in the current gaming that are actually aware of the system (or even give a damn about it if they are) are in a very slim minority. I say keep the name.

Although, "The 3DO Experience" fits better, for sure. However, it has been called 3DO Zone for so long, I don't think it would feel right calling it something else. Plus, if someone is complaining about the current name, who says someone won't complain about the new one? "OH NO THEY'RE USING A PHRASE FROM THE BACK OF SOME OF OUR BOXES!!! COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT!!!" Ha.

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:17 am

maybe if it was named "3D zero"

I totally took it as you designed, like RE Zero.

If you get less than 10 complaints, i would keep it ;P

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:06 am

Austin wrote:Meh... I don't know. I say if the name bothers some, maybe they are in need of a reality check: the 3DO has been dead for a very long time, and the the amount of people in the current gaming that are actually aware of the system (or even give a damn about it if they are) are in a very slim minority. I say keep the name.

Although, "The 3DO Experience" fits better, for sure. However, it has been called 3DO Zone for so long, I don't think it would feel right calling it something else. Plus, if someone is complaining about the current name, who says someone won't complain about the new one? "OH NO THEY'RE USING A PHRASE FROM THE BACK OF SOME OF OUR BOXES!!! COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT!!!" Ha.

I agree.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:49 pm

sneth wrote:maybe if it was named "3D zero"

I totally took it as you designed, like RE Zero.

If you get less than 10 complaints, i would keep it ;P
But how do we know how much it grates?

In Britain we endlessly moan about the NHS (National Health Service) Slow, Crap, money-bin.

When Obama was looking at Obama Care the US Republicans started slagging off the NHS.

Britain was up in arms.

Or to put it another way, you can slag-off your spouse as much as you like, but someone else does it...?

Now imagine you worked for 3DO back in the day. It was an exciting, vibrant, environment (...but all the staff probably still moaned anyway) now imagine the press, at the time, is referring to your employer as 3DZero, 3.D.O.A and 3D0 and so on. It hurts. People have loyalty to the company (hand) that feeds them, it was (joining 3DO) a career choice they made, and by association it reflects on them. If someone slagged off the first company you worked for, your response would be "...yes, but..." for sure. 3DO took a battering. As the last 3DO talking place on the Internet, do we really want to remind the people that worked there of that? I don't.