Anyone else dissapointed with the new XBOX?

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Anyone else dissapointed with the new XBOX?

Post by Trev » Tue May 21, 2013 11:14 pm

I don't like what I'm hearing so far ...
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Wed May 22, 2013 3:04 am

Yep, it's laughable at best.

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Wed May 22, 2013 9:02 am

"Anyone else disappointed with the new XBOX?"

Well, this IS Microsoft we're talking about so...

I've been more than happy with my PS3 this gen and have supported it since day 1. I'm not a fan boy of Sony or PS brand, however, I just prefer how they have been doing their consoles and gaming since after the DC passed. They click with me much more than the likes of MS and even Nintendo, especially since the Wii 'era'.

Without doubt, the PS4 would be my console of choice should I decide to get involved with the next gen...

Austin

Post by Austin » Wed May 22, 2013 11:17 am

I was an avid Microsoft supporter with the original XBOX, because they were the new kids on the block, they were taking risks, and with Sega's continued support, it felt like the Dreamcast in ways. With the XBOX 360, I supported it out of the gate and was satisfied. Having things like the Neon visualizer by Jeff Minter made it special to me, as something I had once enjoyed thoroughly in the past (via the Jag CD), finally made its way into a mainstream product. That good feeling I got from the system though slowly went downhill though after each consecutive dashboard update, to where the system stands now more as an ad-pusher than a gaming machine (even when you PAY for XBOX Live, you're still spammed). This new XBOX isn't helping my stance towards the platform either, and it's kind of saddening because I've been there since day one. Right now though, I'm definitely leaning towards Sony's system and have no interest in this new XBOX. With the PS4, you still have the multimedia aspects, but is clearly still focused as a game system first and foremost. We'll see what happens though.. All I know is, I have my Wii U, and once Nintendo's titles hit, I think I'll be happy sticking things out with that. I'm actually really digging it, other than the fact it's a barren wasteland in terms of what's available for it. Plus, it's not like I'm not already inundated with other games and hobbies (I've still yet to pick up a PS3 even though I want to.. Just no time for it).

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed May 22, 2013 1:14 pm

First thing I thought of when I saw the rather bland design of XBOX One ...

I enjoy my CD-i ... but I'm not sure you want to mimic it's early 90's generic VCR design.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Wed May 22, 2013 5:03 pm

This is the last gen of consoles with physical media.

PS4 and Xbox 1 are also x86 architecture now. That means ultimately my computer will always be better than these consoles. I see a resurgence in PC gaming with this round.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat May 25, 2013 4:49 am

Every third console (if they get that far) is a commercial balls up for some reason.

Nintendo:
NES :) :)
SNES :) :) :)
N64 :oops

Sony:
Playstation :) :)
Playstation 2 :) :)
Playstation 3 :oops

Sega:
Master System :)
Mega Drive :) :)
Saturn :oops

Microsoft:
Xbox :) :)
Xbox 360 :) :)
Xbox One ???

I think they lose touch with the consumers. Success makes them insane.

My money is on the PS4. Sony have been to the school of hard knocks and have addressed a lot of the complaints squared at the PS3. Hopefully it will be cheaper to make and sell, developer friendly and they have some innovation that resonates with the masses.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sat May 25, 2013 12:09 pm

3DOKid wrote:Every third console (if they get that far) is a commercial balls up for some reason.

Nintendo:
NES :) :)
SNES :) :) :)
N64 :oops

Sony:
Playstation :) :)
Playstation 2 :) :)
Playstation 3 :oops

Sega:
Master System :)
Mega Drive :) :)
Saturn :oops

Microsoft:
Xbox :) :)
Xbox 360 :) :)
Xbox One ???
Don't forget NEC:
Turbografx-16 :) :)
SuperGrafx :oops
PC-FX :oops

Atari kind of bucked the trend, though...

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat May 25, 2013 2:04 pm

I think you can only oops twice if the previous " :) :) " did really really really well.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat May 25, 2013 6:13 pm

I think Microsoft buried themselves (console market wise) this time.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat May 25, 2013 7:58 pm

3DO Experience wrote:I think Microsoft buried themselves (console market wise) this time.
I don't think Microsoft are in great shape full stop. Which i honestly think is a shame

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue May 28, 2013 11:43 pm

It'll be interesting to see how Microsoft responds to the reaction of critics and it's fans ... E3 should be interesting for sure.

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Wed May 29, 2013 3:14 am

3DOKid wrote:
3DO Experience wrote:I think Microsoft buried themselves (console market wise) this time.
I don't think Microsoft are in great shape full stop. Which i honestly think is a shame
stock hit 52 week high. paying great dividends. windows 8 outselling critics.

Win 8 tablets coming by storm...

i think they are doing just fine.. Don't get caught up in gamer forum frenzy.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed May 29, 2013 7:17 am

sneth wrote:
3DOKid wrote:
stock hit 52 week high. paying great dividends. windows 8 outselling critics.

Win 8 tablets coming by storm...

i think they are doing just fine.. Don't get caught up in gamer forum frenzy.
Windows 8 is tanking in corporates too. The "tiles/metro" interface would be too expensive to support. This opinion is not mine, it is from the lips of a desktop corporate manager i was talking too, who manages an estate of 25,000 desktops. And this is why Microsoft are releasing Windows 8.1 in an attempt to pacify corporate users by ditching the tiles/metro interface thingy.

In the corporate 'insider' press, there is much disappointment with Windows 8 and the fact it's not corporation friendly.

Most people i work with have either an Ipad or iphone or both. Apple effectively replacing Blackberry. Some (me)has Android stuff we're a minority. I know 1 guy with a Nokia/Windows phone. And he got that because he used to work for Nokia. When I asked the development team at the Sales Kickoff in Santa Clara a couple of weeks back if were going to support Windows RT for some of our client software and other stuff, I was told the take up was so low it's not worth the R&D money.

In my job, my region is UK, Ireland and Africa, i have only been asked once if our software supports either windows 8 or RT. Globally, on the internal mail-lists, the question has been asked 5 times. In the same period i have been asked 67 times if we support linux.

I actually love microsoft, but microsoft are out of touch.

Austin

Post by Austin » Thu May 30, 2013 2:44 am

Hell, even if Windows 8 WAS corporate-friendly, I'd bet the adoption rate would be low anyway. Everyone in that sector is still trying to get merged over from XP to Windows 7.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu May 30, 2013 6:34 am

Austin wrote:Hell, even if Windows 8 WAS corporate-friendly, I'd bet the adoption rate would be low anyway. Everyone in that sector is still trying to get merged over from XP to Windows 7.
I've not seen windows 8 anywhere.

I downloaded the Beta and it really flies too. It felt a lot faster than Win 7 on the same machine but the interface is terrible. It's so counter intuitive if you are used to regular windows.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu May 30, 2013 3:13 pm

My wife's Windows RT tablet is awful imo ...

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Fri May 31, 2013 12:01 am

RT is ARM and more of an experiment. expect it to disappear as Intel releases more power friendly...and powerful chips.

PowerShell
BitLocker
Hyper V

all are built into Windows 8, and are great reasons for corporate to migrate. 8.1 will probably see more adoption. Corporate and businesses only migrate when they get new hardware, so it makes sense they are slow to adpot.

Either way, it IS selling faster than what the market predicted.

Sold my Ipad, and I'm runnin an Asus Vivotab Smart.
-Smaller
-More Storage
-Expandable Storage
-Full Windows 8 OS
-USB and HDMI ports.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:09 pm

Not going to 8. Have 7, like parts of it. Loved XP.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:01 pm

I switch between Windows 7 and Ubuntu. And while Ubuntu is good at ripping movies and some geeky technical stuff like coding and manipulating packet captures (for work and stuff) Windows 7 is a far better operating system. The phrase 'just works' does belong with windows 7. Linux on the other hand, should have the mantle "should work, kinda works, this is just annoying".