3do prone to failure????

Got a problem with your 3DO? Ask!
a31chris
Jaguar MOD

3do prone to failure????

Post by a31chris » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:05 am

NOOOO!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHhIfhTqttI

I heard that a pc cd rom laser worked for this. I have access to quite a few old relics. Which ones work? I NEED SPARES OMG

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:32 am

it's not prone to failure. they actually hold up really well. His experience has been discussed here before. He gets a lot of donations, so they probably aren't the best condition.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Creative CD-ROM CR-563B

Post by a31chris » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:33 am

Here is what I found browsing around here.
Coffeejits wrote:Your problem is no doubt one of two things. Either the drive motor has failed (or shorted), or, the gears have cracked and are not functioning properly. From what I have read on these forums, cracked gears are a common occurence with the FZ-10.

So, what are the solutions. Well, I can only speak for the FZ-1 as I do not own a FZ-10. But, IIRC, the FZ-10 drive motor, gears, and laser are the same. Unfortunately, the replacement parts will have to be scavenged from either another FZ-10 or you can try to find a Creative CD-ROM (CR-563B I believe). The last time I replaced my laser in my FZ-1, I had to use the laser from the Creative CD-Rom. The only place I have found them are at Ultradrives.com, and they are used. You'll be playing the lotto with these. Hope this helps.
Now what is the procedure to use the parts from this CD-Rom drive to repair a broken 3do? Maybe it should be made a sticky?

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Re: Creative CD-ROM CR-563B

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:00 am

a31chris wrote:Now what is the procedure to use the parts from this CD-Rom drive to repair a broken 3do? Maybe it should be made a sticky?
Or maybe you should go read some threads in the Technical Support forum.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Re: 3do prone to failure????

Post by Trev » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:15 am

a31chris wrote:NOOOO!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHhIfhTqttI

I heard that a pc cd rom laser worked for this. I have access to quite a few old relics. Which ones work? I NEED SPARES OMG
Don't get to worked up, cause examples like his are not certainly the norm. Like sneth said, CGR thrives off donations ... needless to say they aren't all going to be well cared for. My Panasonic FZ-1 still runs great! I wouldn't worry about spares, you don't need them.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:17 am

Trev's right. Mine's from 1993 and it still works like the day I got it.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Re: Creative CD-ROM CR-563B

Post by a31chris » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:33 am

3DO Experience wrote:
a31chris wrote:Now what is the procedure to use the parts from this CD-Rom drive to repair a broken 3do? Maybe it should be made a sticky?
Or maybe you should go read some threads in the Technical Support forum.
Well I did that before posting actually. And I found the quote I used in this thread. However whats in the tech forum is a mish mosh of different posts and threads. What I was hoping was for maybe a more clearer guide? Something more precise and concise perhaps? What parts are needed and what the procdures are etc?

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:20 pm

....now I'm wondering why than it was posted in the wrong forum. Well, it's an easy move.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:52 pm

Mark from CGR is the only one ive ever heard on youtube who talks about "if you can find a working one". Dont worry chris, it holds up better than a ps does, for sure. And its older.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:43 am

grimm wrote:Mark from CGR is the only one ive ever heard on youtube who talks about "if you can find a working one". Dont worry chris, it holds up better than a ps does, for sure. And its older.
Thats cool. The Jag CD player has the same bad rep. However it seems the parts to the 3do are harder to come by. Which means we have to protect against not having parts on the ready for when/if it does happen!

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:52 am

3DO Experience wrote:....now I'm wondering why than it was posted in the wrong forum. Well, it's an easy move.
What happened? Did I overlook something obvious?

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:12 am

a31chris wrote:
grimm wrote:Mark from CGR is the only one ive ever heard on youtube who talks about "if you can find a working one". Dont worry chris, it holds up better than a ps does, for sure. And its older.
Thats cool. The Jag CD player has the same bad rep. However it seems the parts to the 3do are harder to come by. Which means we have to protect against not having parts on the ready for when/if it does happen!
Actually the 3DO doesnt have a bad rep for durability, not the model you decided on. Its the Sanyo and one of the Goldstar models you need to look out for, they have the cd-rom in the sled/tray and thus the ribbon cables can work themselves loose. That is probably what happened to my Sanyo, but i cant seem to be able to fix it, i cant get to one of the last connections and the ones i can get to have all been re-seated.. One goldstar model i think has the cdrom inside the actual unit, and works just like the FZ-1. But could be wrong there.

Either way, its not even comparable to the bad rep of the Jag CD.. Like i said over at jaguarsector, stop worrying. You shouldnt need to worry for many years to come still. And if you cant stop worrying, save up for a replacement little by little. You'll be able to afford many before your FZ-1 bites the dust. My suggestion is that your replacement be a FZ-10, its even less likely to break with less moving parts! And more convenient to use.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:37 pm

Thank you for the input Grimm! However I really hate the idea of throwing hardware away that may make things harder to come by later for others. I would much rather be able to fix what I have or have it fixed if its reasonably possible.

This is why I strongly feel that a sticky covering these points fairly precisely should be put up somewhere so we can have that option if we want it. :)
grimm wrote:
a31chris wrote:
Actually the 3DO doesnt have a bad rep for durability, not the model you decided on. Its the Sanyo and one of the Goldstar models you need to look out for, they have the cd-rom in the sled/tray and thus the ribbon cables can work themselves loose. That is probably what happened to my Sanyo, but i cant seem to be able to fix it, i cant get to one of the last connections and the ones i can get to have all been re-seated.. One goldstar model i think has the cdrom inside the actual unit, and works just like the FZ-1. But could be wrong there.

Either way, its not even comparable to the bad rep of the Jag CD.. Like i said over at jaguarsector, stop worrying. You shouldnt need to worry for many years to come still. And if you cant stop worrying, save up for a replacement little by little. You'll be able to afford many before your FZ-1 bites the dust. My suggestion is that your replacement be a FZ-10, its even less likely to break with less moving parts! And more convenient to use.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:55 pm

Dont throw it away, keep it for other spare parts. Once you have harvested all you can from it, recycle the rest.

No need to worry untill its actually broken i think. The fz-1 and fz-10 isnt gonna be rare anytime soon. Not if you ask me anyway.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:41 pm

a31chris wrote: This is why I strongly feel that a sticky covering these points fairly precisely should be put up somewhere so we can have that option if we want it. :)
I'm not sure if it would warrant a sticky ... issues w/the Panasonic models are rare, which is why past topics along these lines never proved very popular ... they don't apply to most 3DO users.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

andybthedj
3DO ZERO USER

Post by andybthedj » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:52 pm

Let me put it this way. My five year old PS3 just took a dump last night with the Yellow Light of Death. My 20 year old FZ-1 is still runnin' like the day it came off the line.

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:42 am

yeah, he mentioned it again in his last few reviews with shockwave. I dunno what kind of problems he went through.