Is Po'ed any good?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JohnnyDude » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:12 am

I remembered PO'ed fondly, so I tried it out again. I had remembered fumbling with the controls, though, so I was somewhat prepared to chalk it up to a problem exacerbated by the framerate limitations. On the hardware, the framerate was pretty annoying. So I put it in the emulator instead. PO'ed seems to behave pretty well with the double-resolution and/or higher CPU speed in 4DO, so that made an instant improvement! (I feel as if I'm talking about 4DO a lot lately, sorry! :( )

Even with both of those going for it, I still find the game aggravating, and the primary reason was that I felt like I was tangling with the "slippery" movement of the character nonstop. I initially felt conflicted on this, because Immercenary's controls are pretty cumbersome too, but I love Immercenary! I think the difference is that PO'ed tacks on jumping puzzles and a jetpack. In Immercenary, it's mainly one big flat terrain.

I'd have other complaints, but that's the only significant one I had. I'm certainly not above hitting walking butts with frying pans or the meatball gun. As far as 3DO FPS-es with crippling frame rate, I'd have to say I prefer Killing Time.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:05 pm

JohnnyDude wrote:I still find the game aggravating, and the primary reason was that I felt like I was tangling with the "slippery" movement of the character nonstop. I initially felt conflicted on this, because Immercenary's controls are pretty cumbersome too, but I love Immercenary! I think the difference is that PO'ed tacks on jumping puzzles and a jetpack. In Immercenary, it's mainly one big flat terrain.
I was thinking the same exact thing. Even though both games are pretty wide open, the vertical aspects of the levels of Po'ed makes the control take longer to get used to ... not to mention making it harder to find your way out.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JohnnyDude » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:42 am

Trev wrote:
JohnnyDude wrote:I still find the game aggravating, and the primary reason was that I felt like I was tangling with the "slippery" movement of the character nonstop. I initially felt conflicted on this, because Immercenary's controls are pretty cumbersome too, but I love Immercenary! I think the difference is that PO'ed tacks on jumping puzzles and a jetpack. In Immercenary, it's mainly one big flat terrain.
I was thinking the same exact thing. Even though both games are pretty wide open, the vertical aspects of the levels of Po'ed makes the control take longer to get used to ... not to mention making it harder to find your way out.
I was definitely running into the problem of not being able to find my way out. If I remember right, sometimes it requires knowing about a secret or false wall!

And where's the danged music? :P

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Is Po'ed any good?

Post by FrumpleOrz » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:19 pm

Ah, reviving dead posts is fun.

I've been playing PO'ed the last couple of nights and it is really one of my favorite games. It probably helps that I played it when it came out as a kid and I was the PERFECT age for the fart monsters to seem like the greatest things in the world. The game's always stuck with me and I finally got a copy a few years ago but I never finished it because I was playing it on a Goldstar model and unknown to me at the time, it's one of the games that glitches out on that model. I was pretty upset.

Now, I've got it running on an FZ-1 and man, this game is a blast. I'm on Pompous (Medium Rare) right now and hopefully I'll actually finish the game this time! I just love dodging out of the way with the turbo jet pack and having to figure out which direction the threat is coming from after blasting out at the speed of sound. So much fun.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:10 am

What was interesting in the reviews ewhac did was how this version turned out better than the PSX with more colors. The why was very interesting.
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:19 am

I think the PS1 version may be easier too. I think you might get unlimited jetpack fuel in that one. Can anyone confirm that/ I forget off the top of my head if that's for sure or not. It's been a while since I've played that version.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:21 am

FrumpleOrz wrote:I think the PS1 version may be easier too. I think you might get unlimited jetpack fuel in that one. Can anyone confirm that/ I forget off the top of my head if that's for sure or not. It's been a while since I've played that version.
Can you tell from this video?

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:28 am

Yeah, it looks like there's no fuel bar in the PS1 version. In the 3DO edition, there's a bar that's right next to the Jetpack Icon in the upper left. The fuel is shared with the flamethrower ammo too.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:54 am

I bought this for my cousin on the PSX last year. Meant to grab it for 3do myself and see the differences but they sold the copy they had down here at the local retro store.
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:28 pm

I have this on 3DO, but will have to pick it up for PS1 too.

Can never have too many old-school FPS's, even if it IS the same(ish) title on different platforms :mrgreen:

johnnycash
3DO ZERO USER

Post by johnnycash » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:17 pm

It isn't just good, its the best FPS on 3do, maybe even the best game on 3do. And as the views seem to oppose that, i shall explain why:

It is quite smooth for a 3do game, and very ambitious for a FPS. You can fly about, the weapons are genuinely inventive (remote flying rocket) while also serving a purpose in the game and the graphics are decent. Its very playable and the levels are well designed.

Killing Time is ok but the endless mazes and lack of direction wear thin.

Space Hulk could have been ok with a bit more playability but actually it turns into pointless messages and inconsistent - unwinnable fights with genestealers. Very linear in scope, design, villains and weapons. And its slow.

Wolfienstein - Alright its ok, but basic to say the least.

Monster Manor - too basic. One weapon, boring levels.

Doom - no comment.

Po'ed shouldn't be played retrospectively and judged if you didn't play it first time round. Compared to Halo etc its awful of course, but at the time it was leagues ahead of anything on 3do and most other consoles too. Bearign in mind Pc fans were getting excited that Doom 2 had a DOUBLE BARREL shotgun, whoop te do. On the 3do you could fire a rocket and get inside it to direct it into a baddie.

I remember an Edge preview of it and the deisgners were actually even more ambitous than the game indicates, with a motorbike and tank to be included too bu they must have ran out of processing power.

It is excellent, get it and remember the FPS landscape at the time.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:47 pm

Woah.Wait.What? Space Hulk? You say what?

sparker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by sparker » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:10 pm

NeoGeoNinja wrote:I have this on 3DO, but will have to pick it up for PS1 too.

Can never have too many old-school FPS's, even if it IS the same(ish) title on different platforms :mrgreen:
The Wikipedia page states that there was a PC version developed but not released. Anyone come across this?