Retro City Rampage

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Retro City Rampage

Post by BryWI » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:57 pm

I know someone mentioned this game here before, but search isn't coming up with the topic. So I will start a new topic. There is a new video up on the site http://retrocityrampage.com/ and it seems this game is FINALLY set to come out in May on multiple platforms. I am soo excited to finally be able to play this game. I will probably be buying this game on xbox live. Anyone else going to get it?

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:14 pm

It's out now on ps3/ps vita in North America. And world wide on PC/Steam/GOG.

Xbox360 and WiiWare versions will be out "as soon as possible".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pW3e7x2T3U

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:07 am

I just saw it today @ GOG. I admit I was surprised ... seemed like it was always stuck in "coming soon" mode.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:34 pm

I've played it for a couple hours so far. I will try to give my impressions of it as I get a little more into the game. I have limited my video games to days off only now though. I have been working on writing/recording music after I am done at my morning job these days. Needed to do something more productive to keep my brain happy.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:55 am

Yeah I probably mentioned it. I got that BIG email, even the soundtrack is out on vinyl.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:45 pm

Anybody play the WiiWare version? Apparently it has an exclusive mode.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:46 am

I was excited back before the project got handed over to someone else. I would have loved to had a cartridge running off of real hardware but now... it's just a low-res game running on powerful hardware. *sigh*

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:23 pm

The project was not handed over to someone else. It was the same guy doing it the whole time. He just stopped dev on the NES version because it was starting to become quite a pain in the you know what.

The new mode is not exclusive to WiiWare. I know its on PC too. I haven't tried it yet though. The new mode is supposed to be the game within NES restrictions. I am not sure of the complete details because I have not tried it yet.

The game was ok in my opinion. It's worth the price and it is a fun game. The references it makes are absolutley hilarous. The hype around the game and the time it took for the game to be finished kinda ruined it for me. It's not that long of a game. Once I beat it, I kinda stopped playing it. I also heard the difficulty was well tweaked after I beat it. There were some pretty difficult parts.

If you have a gamepad for pc, I would go with that version. You can find the game 50% off on steam sometimes.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:53 pm

How is the difficulty? I've heard it's a bit uneven ...

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:30 pm

I didn't find the game overly difficult. I haven't played it since the re-balance updates. I hear just about all the parts I had troubles with were re-balanced. I don't think he changed the ending difficulty though, but that is beatable after you recognize patterns and such. It's just annoying cause it's lengthy due to a checkpoint being too far back IMO. He might of changed it though. I haven't been keeping up with RCR too much these days.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:53 pm

BryWI wrote:I didn't find the game overly difficult. I haven't played it since the re-balance updates. I hear just about all the parts I had troubles with were re-balanced. I don't think he changed the ending difficulty though, but that is beatable after you recognize patterns and such. It's just annoying cause it's lengthy due to a checkpoint being too far back IMO. He might of changed it though. I haven't been keeping up with RCR too much these days.
Cool, thanks for the info. :)

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:34 pm

BryWI wrote:The project was not handed over to someone else. It was the same guy doing it the whole time. He just stopped dev on the NES version because it was starting to become quite a pain in the you know what.
I must have gotten some bad info as I heard it went from one man doing a project to a team being paid.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:12 pm

Here is a video about the making of "ROM City Rampage", RCR with NES restrictions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvx4xXhZMrU

It's basicly what the game could of been on an NES. There is also a video on the channel on how to access it in the latest version of RCR.
I must have gotten some bad info as I heard it went from one man doing a project to a team being paid.
He did have a little bit of help from a small number of people. I think he worked a little bit with a pixel artist. Also the music was done by some of the famous chip tunes people on the net, virt, Freaky DNA, and Norrin Radd. I think some people contributed translations too. The Bulk of the game though was done by the same guy since the beginning. It was never handed over to anyone for sure. :)

NOSAJ19
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NOSAJ19 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:08 pm

I am really eagerly awaiting a price reduction for this on the European PlayStation Store, as it has really been well received and has got lots of great reviews and positive buzz. It has already been reduced in price for the American PlayStation Store a couple of times, but as the game only released on European PlayStation Store more recently than the American PlayStation Store it means that the discount still hasn't arrived, so I shall still be waiting until then. However, it is cross-buy meaning that if you buy the PS3 version you also get the PS Vita version for free or vice versa, so you could argue that it is already a great deal at £8.99 for both versions.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:18 pm

Thanks for the video. Kinda makes me wish the cart was still released or at least just bumped up to the SNES.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:39 am

Just a heads up, this is on sale through Steam for $5, until March 29th. Grab it while it's cheap(er)!