The most recent 3DO game I played is ...

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

The most recent 3DO game I played is ...

Post by Trev » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:19 pm

CPU Bach.

I had messed around this title quite a bit when I was writing a review. When we had some friends over on Super Bowl Sunday, I was playing this on slideshow mode for background noise. It actually made for good conversation, and I learned that one of new friends is quite the video game fan as well.

When is the last time you played your 3DO, and what were you playing?
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:47 pm

My 3do is borked so I will have to answer via playing games on 4DO. I was playing Immercenary, that game is tough to wrap the brain around. Save states help with that game quite a bit though. But I stopped playing it, and I dont think I will pick it up again anytime soon.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:43 pm

Need for speed.

FUJISAN
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FUJISAN » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:33 am

It is a snow job.
However, I does not understand English at all.
Therefore, it cannot go ahead with the talk at all... :cry:
Because I make a note using translation software, I think that it becomes a poor English sentence.
I'm sorry.

If there is rude expression, please point it out.
Thanking you in advance.

pmerrill
3DO ZERO USER

Post by pmerrill » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:52 am

MYST. It's been so long, wow almost twenty years, that it's almost a new game again!

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:06 am

Killing Time. Very briefly in 4DO just to see how much more enjoyable the game could potentially be by boosting the CPU cycles a lot..

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:17 am

Played some SF2 while trying out the 6 button wireless controllers i got a while back. Other than that my 3DO has seen little use for a long time now.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:33 am

I actually have to say CPU Bach as well.

GuruMeditation

Post by GuruMeditation » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:56 pm

Austin wrote:Killing Time. Very briefly in 4DO just to see how much more enjoyable the game could potentially be by boosting the CPU cycles a lot..
Did this myself yesterday. I was well impressed by the smoother visuals, but the sound suffered as a result on my system. Oh well... maybe in another decade I'll play a smoother version. :D

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:46 am

GuruMeditation wrote:Did this myself yesterday. I was well impressed by the smoother visuals, but the sound suffered as a result on my system. Oh well... maybe in another decade I'll play a smoother version. :D
Yep, the same thing happened to me!

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:04 pm

crash and burn

it's one of the games that held up well over time. I have a copy just sitting in my 3do at all times.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:32 pm

D's Diner.

JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JohnnyDude » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:42 am

BryWI wrote:My 3do is borked so I will have to answer via playing games on 4DO. I was playing Immercenary, that game is tough to wrap the brain around. Save states help with that game quite a bit though. But I stopped playing it, and I dont think I will pick it up again anytime soon.
Hey that's a coincidence. I'm playing Immercenary right now! Doing a Let's Play on it, too, slowly.

It's been running great on 4DO even with both double resolution and higher frame rate enabled. I feel like I'm cheating, since higher frame rates means easier aiming. To its credit, Immercenary's frame rate never got terrible on the actual console (which I distinctly remember from Killing Time).

I never realized just how slow it was to build up your stats at the beginning of the game. It's especially hard because it will subtract from your stats if you die!

JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JohnnyDude » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:47 am

Austin wrote:
GuruMeditation wrote:Did this myself yesterday. I was well impressed by the smoother visuals, but the sound suffered as a result on my system. Oh well... maybe in another decade I'll play a smoother version. :D
Yep, the same thing happened to me!
I noticed this too with Killing Time on 4DO. Some of the games that would benefit the most from better framerate don't seem to behave as well with the increased CPU speeds (Killing Time, Need for Speed, Slayer). Major bummer. I cannot tell if it's a bottleneck on performance or just because of the way the games were written.

Some games handle it great, though: Star Fighter, Blade Force, Immercenary, Lucienne's Quest, Guardian War.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:23 pm

The sound stutters because of the current thread being used on your cpu core is maxing out. It needs more CPU to emulate the increased amount of emulated cpu cycles. The bottle neck is the speed of your cpu cores. When it starts stuttering, open up the resource manager and you will most likely see this to be true. My laptop is an i7 with 4 cores. Each core has two threads. So 4DO maxes out on my laptop at about 13% of my processor.

klogg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by klogg » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:45 am

Hello all.

It's been a long time that I do not post here :D . 've played lately Wolfenstein 3D. The music is superb, and the graphics make this version easily one of the best.
3DO Brazil website (in portuguese): http://www.3dobrasil.com.br

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:54 pm

Awesome, Wolfenstein 3D is one of my faves on the 3DO. That music is so booming and intense, it almost floored me the first time I played the game.

Last thing I played was a few days ago, since work has kept me busy: Burning Soldier. That second boss still keeps nailing me. Always fun to play, though.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:11 am

Well, I had a double thing the other night. Played Escape From Monster Manor and TRIP'D in the same sitting. What's so special about that is that these are actually the first actual console games I have played in almost two months due to Anxiety Attacks. They suck and you just don't want to do anything. Funny that the first real thing I want to do outside of a handheld puzzler to keep my mind occupied is the 3DO. Was fun too. I forgot how great both games were.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:25 am

MOST RECENT GAME I PLAYED...
was Crash N Burn. I only just acquired it and played it for the first time ever recently and I have to say, I'm very impressed with it. Definitely one of those titles I wish I'd had since back in the day with my console, as I feel like I've missed out on just under 2 decades of enjoyment.

Yeah, great game, but I have just reached a stumbling block in the shape of one of the later races. I'll quite simply, keep trying...

BEARD!
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BEARD! » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:01 pm

Playing The Horde at the moment, really liking it.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:57 pm

BEARD! wrote:Playing The Horde at the moment, really liking it.
Actually, The Horde is one of those games I really feel was looked over, sadly. It's a sweet game and works so well on so many levels. The graphics were outstanding, the cinematics were clean and fun to watch and the game was pretty challenging as a strategy game goes. Only problem I ever had was with the original pressing with the save game glitch.

BEARD!
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BEARD! » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:55 pm

T2KFreeker wrote:
Actually, The Horde is one of those games I really feel was looked over, sadly. It's a sweet game and works so well on so many levels. The graphics were outstanding, the cinematics were clean and fun to watch and the game was pretty challenging as a strategy game goes. Only problem I ever had was with the original pressing with the save game glitch.

Yeah it's a great game. The difficulty starts to ramp up once you get past the Swamp level. I really like the cheesy acting between stages. I was wary of the save glitch when I bought it, but I'm assuming the glitch was in the US version and not the PAL one I have

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:33 pm

BEARD! wrote:
T2KFreeker wrote:

Yeah it's a great game. The difficulty starts to ramp up once you get past the Swamp level. I really like the cheesy acting between stages. I was wary of the save glitch when I bought it, but I'm assuming the glitch was in the US version and not the PAL one I have
Not sure about the differences between the PAL and US Versions. Sadly, the way to tell the differences between the Glitched and Non Glitched US versions are long gone unless people were ingenious and took the gold sticker from the cellophane. US reissued versions of the Horde had a gold sticker on the outer packaging with the Game Pro scores on it making it a perfect review. Sadly, most people don't think of that when they are opening their games. IF you can find a sealed copy of the game in the US and it has that sticker on it, the glitch is not there. The Sega Saturn released version also does not have the save game glitch either though, just FYI, and is one of the VERY few "Ports" from 3DO to other consoles that came out very close to the 3DO original.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:55 am

T2KFreeker wrote: Not sure about the differences between the PAL and US Versions. Sadly, the way to tell the differences between the Glitched and Non Glitched US versions are long gone unless people were ingenious and took the gold sticker from the cellophane.
I'm too lazy to find it right now, but I think there actually is a very old thread detailing ways to tell the differences. I'll see if I can find it when I have a bit more time.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:08 am

T2KFreeker wrote: Not sure about the differences between the PAL and US Versions. Sadly, the way to tell the differences between the Glitched and Non Glitched US versions are long gone unless people were ingenious and took the gold sticker from the cellophane.

Not to worry. You can still tell if your Horde game is the updated version. If your disk for "The Horde" has the letters "RCB" under the serial number "61030-C" then it is the fixed version of the game.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:56 pm

Trev wrote:
I'm too lazy to find it right now, but I think there actually is a very old thread detailing ways to tell the differences. I'll see if I can find it when I have a bit more time.
http://3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopi ... ames+horde

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:59 pm

Guys, that is great information to know. RCB under the nimvber.

Back on topic, I played the old 3DO again last night. Since I had read on it here on site earlier in the day, I got the craving for Dragon Lore. I still don't know why I love the game so much, but I still think it's damn cool. Played a good hour or so last night and look forward to jumping back in later on after the Doc's Office visit. I let my 9 year old daughter play "The Incredible Machine" last night before she went to bed. She loved it. There you have it, that will be all.

pitsunami
3DO ZERO USER

Post by pitsunami » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:08 pm

Well just bought schockwave and jumpgate!!!
I was always looking for rare titles and hadnt got
any copy of the shockwave 1! :)

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:16 am

THE SHOCKWAVE SERIES...
is great imo. I've always really enjoyed playing them, especially the 1st game.

-

I RECKON, FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER...
I actually sat down and properly played some Rebel Assault yesterday. Apart from the terrible quality of the FMV itself, I really enjoyed playing the game. I got up to the part where you have escape the Allied base (via an Xwing) not before dispatching enemies on foot with your blaster.

The games a bit clumsy in parts, but that aside, it's good fun...

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:35 am

Yeah, I found Rebel Assault to be good fun, too. Terrible quality FMV, sometimes frustrating level design, but it's still enjoyable somehow. The challenge is reasonable, the lock-on feature gives the rail shooting a very different approach, and the cinematic presentation of the action isn't half bad for the time.