Transparent tape on CD

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Transparent tape on CD

Post by Martin III » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:12 am

Let's say I bought a video game CD from someone, and to mail it they stuck pieces of transparent tape to the label side. Let's say that when I removed one of these pieces of tape, that part of the label came off with it, and I could then see clean through the CD. In other words, no label or silvery sheen appears on that part of the CD anymore. Finally, let's say that when I subsequently played the CD on both actual console and on an emulator, it wouldn't go beyond the title screen.

Is it possible that the tape, even though it was affixed to the label side, took off some of the data with it? Or would the CD have to have been defective even before the seller prepped it for shipping?

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:39 am

Unless im wrong, its more that the laser goes through the cd rather than being reflecting back, so the unit cant read whats there.. try putting a solid piece of tape over it and see what happens.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:16 am

my buddy taped a tiny piece of tinfoil to a game cd once because it had a hole in the label and he was able to copy it. he said it played all the way though the game, where the original quit half way though

but when i tried the same thing with Vol 1 of woody woodpecker and friends it didnt work
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:42 pm

Whatever the reason, I'd get my money back. Even if you got it working via new tape, magic marker, or whatever, a damage disc looks lousy in a collection. :(
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:27 pm

The laser needs the mirror to focus.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:43 pm

Try the aluminum foil trick first (remember no wrinkles), if that doesn't work black magic marker has worked for me. The data is still sandwiched between the plastic layers. The silver side of the label only bounces the light back. I've had old music CDs loose some of the label and as long as it's still smooth a black marker took care of it. But audio CD's also have a certain level of data correction too.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:28 am

Wow, that's great to know! I have an audio CD with holes on the top side of the disc, and it skips at points. It's too expensive for my tastes to replace it with another copy, so I will have to try the foil or marker trick.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:47 am

Thanks so much for the suggestions, guys. Unfortunately, I tried applying two solid grey return address labels, completely covering the hole in the label, and still got the same result. It looks like I may have to look into getting my money back... :(

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:17 pm

Good luck.

NOSAJ19
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NOSAJ19 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:30 pm

Martin III wrote:Thanks so much for the suggestions, guys. Unfortunately, I tried applying two solid grey return address labels, completely covering the hole in the label, and still got the same result. It looks like I may have to look into getting my money back... :(
Have you tried using different types of tape to cover it? Perhaps it is just because the tape you used is too thin or too thick. Give it a try anyway and let us know if trying a different type of tape works and good luck!