Looking to replace Nintendo Power?

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Looking to replace Nintendo Power?

Post by Trev » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:14 am

Pure Nintendo Magazine has a ways to go of course, but for a new mag it shows a lot of promise. Here is a link from their original successful kickstarter campaign ...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pur ... o-magazine

This is the current site ... http://purenintendo.com/magazine/
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:53 pm

What's the point of these mags anymore? They are as outdated as newspapers.

There is a reason the print industry is in trouble.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:36 pm

That doesn't mean that there still can't be a strong enough niche market that can keep them afloat. These guys at least have the right idea in that they also provide a cheaper digital subscription. Thanks for pointing this out, Trev, I was unaware of this magazine and may very well check it out.

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:47 pm

They are typically overpriced due to being niche. Retrogamer is kinda cool, but I'm not paying $10+ for a mag.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:33 am

This Nintendo magazine is $20. For a year. $25 if you want both a digital and physical subscription. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:21 am

Austin wrote:This Nintendo magazine is $20. For a year. $25 if you want both a digital and physical subscription. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.
I think so too.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:14 am

I'm thinking about it.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:41 am

Another new mag trying to fill the gap left by NP ...

http://nintendoforcemagazine.com/

Unlike Pure Nintendo Mag, I have yet to read an issue of this one. Am hopeful though.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:03 pm

I prefer magazines to digital counterparts simply because its much more fun to flick through a magazine. Like playing real games on real hardware compared to emulators.

I dont think the print industry is in as big trouble as they claim. Its a matter of their profit margin not being big enough, and not growing, for the most part.

As an environmentalist, its good that digital counterparts are out there, it does save on paper, but i also believe a smaller print batch using recycled material with less laminated pages etc is the way to go. You can print nicely and still be more environmentally friendly.

Just cant see myself ever buying a tablet so i can bring my magazines or books with me, especially not the bathtub where i prefer to use them.

That said i havent bought a gaming magazine in many many years (not counting a mag 3DO Experience helped me get), because i need to value the cost against whats in it that actually interests me. I have had thoughts of a subscription on that retro magazine out of UK several times though..

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:28 am

I think I'm done with gaming mags. My NP collection is large enough as it is, and I've gotten rid of so many other old magazines. Too much space. As for digital I look back now and I used to download Hardcore Gamer Magazine, but haven't even looked at an issue in 5 years. I don't even know if they are still around. It was fun when there were tips and guides but I enjoyed it less as it became more articles than anything.