Wii U

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Wii U

Post by mattyg » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:28 am

Wow , I was lucky enough to have a go of one of these at a recent trade show and all I can say is wow.
Love it
Ninty has done it again

Happy to answer questions
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:11 pm

That's cool that you got to check it out! :)

What game(s) did you try?
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:46 pm

I have my pre order in for shits and giggles. I have no idea if this is gonna be good.

Can you elaborate on what is to Love about this? Hopefully there is less hand wavy controls.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:14 am

sneth wrote:I have my pre order in for shits and giggles. I have no idea if this is gonna be good.
Than why spend the money? (the Wii U isn't cheap) Surely there must be at least a game or two that interest you.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:22 am

sorry for the delay guys! got to play Nintendoland - the pack in mini game disc , Zombie U , Pikmin 3 and Epic Mickey 2 .
First impressions of the Wii U controller are all positive - it's bigger and more comfortable than I expected - I have long fingers and large hands and usually struggle but this one felt good.
Graphics of the Wii U are certainly on par with the PS3 and 360 - long term Ninty were right to wait until the tech became cheaper and reliable.
The included mini games in the premium package are very pac man inspired and put the new controller to good use in a novel way in multiplayer. Often the player with the contoller can see things those with the wii motes can't see on the tv game - kind of virtual hide and seeks.
Where it comes into its own is in games like Zombie U where it is used for inventory management without encroaching on the screen - this should be of great use in future single player and online play. The new Wii U Aliens game will be a case in point when released as the tablet image will mimmick the marines portable viewfinder/radar.
Is the wii U gimmicky? Yes
will it sell well? probably
easy to use? yep
It will in a nutshell take the fight to Sony and Microsoft without breaking a sweat - my only concerns are the usual - Ninty's online services are naff , on board memory (even in the premium edition) is naff and I'm not liking the GC backwards compatability being removed.
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:48 pm

Awesome!

How intuitive would you say Nintendo Land was? Does it have fairly easy access like a Wii Sports?

Also, how was the camera on Epic Mickey 2?

Thanks for the posts Matty. :)

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:14 pm

mattyg wrote:sorry for the delay guys! got to play Nintendoland - the pack in mini game disc , Zombie U
I can already see the T-shirts for that game: "I got my PhD. from Zombie U, home of the biggest BRAINS in astrophysics." With a blood-dripping effect on the letters of "brains", of course.

Thanks for the little infobits, mattyg! I haven't seen any games for the Wii U that I really want yet, but I'm rooting for Nintendo to pull off another hit with this console.
mattyg wrote:and I'm not liking the GC backwards compatability being removed.
They were going to have GC backwards compatibility at one point? That's really bizarre, given that the Wii dropped that function ages ago.

Anyway, it's really for the best that they dropped it. If you think about it, it would have only increased the price, and people are already complaining about the console being slightly too expensive. And GC backwards compatibility certainly isn't a selling point anymore (if it ever was).

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:42 pm

Martin III wrote:
They were going to have GC backwards compatibility at one point? That's really bizarre, given that the Wii dropped that function ages ago.

Anyway, it's really for the best that they dropped it. If you think about it, it would have only increased the price, and people are already complaining about the console being slightly too expensive. And GC backwards compatibility certainly isn't a selling point anymore (if it ever was).
Actually, it wasn't until the holidays last year when the GC support was dropped. And I actually do think it was a selling point. Besides the actual GC games, a lot of Wii games supported the GC controllers.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:03 pm

well if i was still buying consoles backward compatibility is a must and it would be the only reason i would buy a console, but since i stopped collection/buying at the GC/xbox this means nothing to me now :P
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:01 am

Too bad they removed GC compatibility, but yeah Nintendo really needs to step up on the online playing field. The Wii's time is over and I don't think they can stay #1 without a real download service and online multiplayer.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:41 am

At one time I was hoping the Wii might co-exist alongside the Wii U for a while like PS3/PS2 used to do, but I don't see it happening now. It might get some movie translations and 3rd party shovelware ports, but what else? I don't see any good games on the horizon except Epic Mickey 2.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:01 pm

Trev wrote:
Martin III wrote:

Actually, it wasn't until the holidays last year when the GC support was dropped. And I actually do think it was a selling point. Besides the actual GC games, a lot of Wii games supported the GC controllers.
A year is a long time in the video gaming world (3DO fans of all people should know that :wink: ).

Anyway, much as I love backwards compatibility, I have to admit that even the overwhelming majority of hardcore gamers don't seem to have genuine interest in it. As my brother is always telling me (because it's so hard for me to admit it's true), developers always want to make games for the most advanced hardware, and gamers always want to play the most advanced games. From what I understand, the only reasons console makers provide backwards compatibility at all are (1)all gamers think console makers should provide backwards compatibility on principle, even though almost none of them will ever use it, and (2)it provides an extra incentive for consumers to trade in the predecessor console for the current one. Neither reason supports the Wii U having backwards compatibility with the GameCube in addition to the Wii; everyone who might sell their GC did so long ago.
Trev wrote:At one time I was hoping the Wii might co-exist alongside the Wii U for a while like PS3/PS2 used to do, but I don't see it happening now. It might get some movie translations and 3rd party shovelware ports, but what else? I don't see any good games on the horizon except Epic Mickey 2.
Lego Lord of the Rings should be good.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:14 pm

Well sure a year is a long time for 3DO, but the poor console only had about a 2 1/2 year life span. :P For the Wii to have GC support 5 of it's 6 years is pretty long, especially since it wasn't yanked until the systems last real holiday season.

But I do admit at this point in it's life GC support is no longer a real selling point for most people in terms of it's games, since the system has been dead for a number of years. Still, I really do like the option of using the GC pad for certain Wii games & VC releases. The classic controller is an extra expense, and not nearly as comfortable.

As far as good games on the horizon for the Wii, I wasn't aware of the new Lego game. In fact I have to admit, I've never played any Lego games (despite hearing good things about many of them)

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:02 pm

Trev wrote:But I do admit at this point in it's life GC support is no longer a real selling point for most people in terms of it's games, since the system has been dead for a number of years. Still, I really do like the option of using the GC pad for certain Wii games & VC releases. The classic controller is an extra expense, and not nearly as comfortable.
Agreed. I've been playing my Wii a lot lately. The controller I've mostly been using? Yep, the Game Cube controller. It beats any of Nintendo's own personal offerings, control-wise for the Wii. It would be nice if the Wii-U still had GC ports on it just for that reason.