Button mashing

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Button mashing

Post by Martin III » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:03 am

I think I've pretty much given up on beating Strahl for real. I completed it on 4DO, because for some reason the button commands run slow, well behind the video, making the game pretty easy.

Am I the only person who finds the button mashing to be way too much in the game? Most of the levels are fine, but with the "unknown soldier" level and the one with the maggots, I have to focus entirely on my controller, ignoring the video, putting all my energy into one single finger until it's pounding that B button in a complete blur... and even then, half the time it's still not fast enough.

I've actually managed to defeat both the unknown soldier and maggot levels on separate occasions, but nine lives isn't enough for me to do them both in one go. And by the time those nine lives are exhausted, the muscles in my finger are throbbing with pain, to the point where I feel physically incapable of another attempt.

It's all the more frustrating because otherwise, the game is great: the pacing, the soundtrack, and most especially the animations are all thrilling and inventive. It's a solid example of what a QTE game should be - except for that darn button mashing. :x

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:41 pm

hrm. I never recall having any challenge with this game. I considered it one of the easier QTE games ever.

Not trying to insult you, but i just dont recall a difficult part. I might have to play again to see if my age has slowed me down.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:00 am

IF a console has a hard time reading a disc (CD-R or a bad laser) and the game is heavily dependant on timing of inputs corresponding to audio and video, there is a good chance the game is not going to behave well at all. It will be even more so if it's input is timed to streaming video. Streaming video puts some of the most stress on the laser.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:07 pm

sneth wrote:hrm. I never recall having any challenge with this game. I considered it one of the easier QTE games ever.

Not trying to insult you, but i just dont recall a difficult part. I might have to play again to see if my age has slowed me down.
Well, aside from the button mashing parts in the two levels I mentioned, I didn't find any of it difficult either. If your thumb is even slightly faster than mine, it doesn't surprise me that you'd find it one of the easiest QTE games. My only surprise is that no one else seems to have the trouble I do - surely I don't have the slowest button mashing thumb in the world?

Interesting point, BryWI. I still haven't gotten around to trying that beta revision 6 you linked me to in the emulation forum; I'll really have to give that a try and see how it compares. Would be pretty funny if this was just a case of my FZ-1 having a slightly worn-down laser.