Night Trap

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Night Trap

Post by Martin III » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:58 pm

While I'm still waiting for this to arrive in the mail, I thought I'd ask you all what your feelings about the game are. Seems like everyone considers Night Trap to be either one of the best games ever made (http://videogamecritic.net/3domr.htm#Night_Trap) or one of the worst (http://www.seanbaby.com/nes/egm12.htm). Where do you fall in?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:08 pm

I've always enjoyed the fmv genre for what it is, so Night Trap is good in my book. It's cheezy fun, and in the early 90's there really was nothing like it. True, by the mid 90's, the market did get somewhat bloated w/poor fmv titles. But looking at Night Trap in the context of when it was released, I think it is fine, if limited. I especially like the improvements the 3DO version have over the Sega cd one.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:03 pm

A- for Night Trap
C- for Novastorm

I hope my contempt for the video game critic is apparent in this post.

That said, i do kind of like Night Trap.

Scarlettkitten
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Scarlettkitten » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:03 pm

3DOKid wrote:A- for Night Trap
C- for Novastorm

I hope my contempt for the video game critic is apparent in this post.

That said, i do kind of like Night Trap.
And a D for Space hulk

(polite mode) what the flip was he smoking !!! Superb game.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:08 am

Yeah, dude's reviews are all over the place.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:50 am

The VGC does pretty good imo. His format is prone to inherit weaknesses (short reviews, multiple platforms, etc ...) but I think he does a fair job of conveying what he likes & dislikes about a particular game. He also does take reader feedback into account, and will adjust and update reviews accordingly.

The problem w/some of his 3DO game reviews, I think, is that his style can't always give them a fair sake. 3DO titles are, imo, more often than not are deeper, as opposed to arcade pick up and play type games found on some other consoles of the time . But how much time can you spend on each game if you are churning out so many reviews across so many platforms?

Anyway, I usually check his site most every week. Like any reviewer/critic, he'll never please everyone.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:56 pm

Trev wrote:The VGC does pretty good imo. His format is prone to inherit weaknesses (short reviews, multiple platforms, etc ...) but I think he does a fair job of conveying what he likes & dislikes about a particular game. He also does take reader feedback into account, and will adjust and update reviews accordingly.

The problem w/some of his 3DO game reviews, I think, is that his style can't always give them a fair sake. 3DO titles are, imo, more often than not are deeper, as opposed to arcade pick up and play type games found on some other consoles of the time. But how much time can you spend on each game if you are churning out so many reviews across so many platforms?

Anyway, I usually check his site most every week. Like any reviewer/critic, he'll never please everyone.
My thoughts exactly. In general, judging a reviewer based on his scores is never a good idea. Even on Video Game Critic's reviews where I completely disagree with his overall assessment of the game, his reasoning is always sensible. Conversely, I find reviews where the score is pretty much what I would have given the game, but the rationale the reviewer uses is childish and/or explicitly biased. (A prime example of this is an IGN review of an RPG... by a critic who openly admitted that he'd never played an RPG before.)

The limited time he devotes to each game he reviews is his one weakness, but most of the time he gives a reasonably thorough assessment of the game in question despite that.

He's not the only one I've seen raving about how great Night Trap is, either. I just picked him as the first example that came to mind.

Dreygor
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dreygor » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:53 am

Unfortunately this is one of those games I had to play the ISO of as it's a little on the expensive side to purchase.

BUT I have to say I enjoyed the campy B-movie feel. Alot of people are to critical of the game and overlook it for what it was meant to be.
Become part of The 3DO Initiative! <-- Click on link!

ArfredHitchcacku
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ArfredHitchcacku » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:04 am

Trev wrote:The VGC does pretty good imo. His format is prone to inherit weaknesses (short reviews, multiple platforms, etc ...) but I think he does a fair job of conveying what he likes & dislikes about a particular game. He also does take reader feedback into account, and will adjust and update reviews accordingly.

The problem w/some of his 3DO game reviews, I think, is that his style can't always give them a fair sake. 3DO titles are, imo, more often than not are deeper, as opposed to arcade pick up and play type games found on some other consoles of the time . But how much time can you spend on each game if you are churning out so many reviews across so many platforms?

VGC wrote:Some of you may be thinking, "What? There was a Donkey Kong 3?!" The unfortunate answer to that question is yes, and this ill-conceived abomination nearly sent the ape to a premature retirement. A radical departure from its predecessors, DK3 is less groundbreaking than it is disappointing. Mario is nowhere to be found, which turned out to be an excellent career move on his part. Instead the game stars Stanley, Mario and Luigi's illegitimate brother. The screens are configured with Donkey Kong hanging from two vines at the top, aggravating bees' nests on either side. The bees swarm down and steal flowers lined across the bottom of the screen. To protect them you move side-to-side while firing bursts of bug spray at the oncoming insects. Shooting Kong pushes him higher up the vines, and the stage ends when you push him to the very top. Not many games advocate spraying pesticides on live animals! Where the [expletive] is PETA when you need them?! Donkey Kong 3 doesn't feel like a Donkey Kong game at all. Chris speculated that this was originally a dead side project until somebody at Nintendo said, "Hey, if we put a monkey in this we can call it Donkey Kong!" Playing DK3 is about as fun as drinking non-alcoholic beer. Annoying worms block your shots and constantly tapping the fire button is hard on the wrist. More of a curiosity than anything else, Donkey Kong 3 was one ill-advised experiment I'm sure even Nintendo would like to forget.
>Doesn't have one fair point of criticism, or any criticism at all for that matter, just rants about the premise

>This is a revision from a few days ago.

I'm sorry, but he really is bad. This is inexcusable and it's far from the only one of its kind.
BAD

-Alfred Hitchcock Presents, 3DO

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:17 am

ArfredHitchcacku wrote:

VGC wrote:Some of you may be thinking, "What? There was a Donkey Kong 3?!" The unfortunate answer to that question is yes, and this ill-conceived abomination nearly sent the ape to a premature retirement. A radical departure from its predecessors, DK3 is less groundbreaking than it is disappointing. Mario is nowhere to be found, which turned out to be an excellent career move on his part. Instead the game stars Stanley, Mario and Luigi's illegitimate brother. The screens are configured with Donkey Kong hanging from two vines at the top, aggravating bees' nests on either side. The bees swarm down and steal flowers lined across the bottom of the screen. To protect them you move side-to-side while firing bursts of bug spray at the oncoming insects. Shooting Kong pushes him higher up the vines, and the stage ends when you push him to the very top. Not many games advocate spraying pesticides on live animals! Where the [expletive] is PETA when you need them?! Donkey Kong 3 doesn't feel like a Donkey Kong game at all. Chris speculated that this was originally a dead side project until somebody at Nintendo said, "Hey, if we put a monkey in this we can call it Donkey Kong!" Playing DK3 is about as fun as drinking non-alcoholic beer. Annoying worms block your shots and constantly tapping the fire button is hard on the wrist. More of a curiosity than anything else, Donkey Kong 3 was one ill-advised experiment I'm sure even Nintendo would like to forget.
>Doesn't have one fair point of criticism, or any criticism at all for that matter, just rants about the premise

>This is a revision from a few days ago.

I'm sorry, but he really is bad. This is inexcusable and it's far from the only one of its kind.
If that is your opinion, fair enough. I happen to disagree.

He compares it to it's predecesors (which I usually except when dealing w/sequels) he talks about things it's lacking, he talks about the gameplay, he talks about the issues he had w/the control, etc... Imo it is fine.

Again though, his reviews (like all reviews) will never please everyone. Different strokes for different folks, and that is okay.

Austin

Post by Austin » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:21 am

ArfredHitchcacku wrote:I'm sorry, but he really is bad. This is inexcusable and it's far from the only one of its kind.
Agreed.

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:25 am

Did someone say "different strokes" whilst discussing a game with Dana Plato in it? Ironically clever :wink:
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:54 am

mattyg wrote:Did someone say "different strokes" whilst discussing a game with Dana Plato in it? Ironically clever :wink:
What might be right for you, may not be right for some...

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:32 pm

3DOKid wrote:
mattyg wrote:Did someone say "different strokes" whilst discussing a game with Dana Plato in it? Ironically clever :wink:
What might be right for you, may not be right for some...
You take the good, you take the bad ....

Austin

Post by Austin » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:15 pm

Trev wrote:If that is your opinion, fair enough. I happen to disagree.

He compares it to it's predecesors (which I usually except when dealing w/sequels) he talks about things it's lacking, he talks about the gameplay, he talks about the issues he had w/the control, etc... Imo it is fine.

Again though, his reviews (like all reviews) will never please everyone. Different strokes for different folks, and that is okay.
The problem is that a lot of his reviews aren't reviews. They are tirades going on and on about a specific aspect with rarely taking anything else into consideration, or in this case with DK3, basing the entire "review" around what came before as opposed to basing his opinion on its own merits. "Durr it's not a platformer so it's automatically garbage. PETA should get on this *#&$, by the way." Asides from that, he doesn't even state WHY it's "bad". Simply put, it's terrible editorial and until the guy can figure out how to look at specific details and base games on their own merits, many of his "opinions" should be taken with a grain of salt.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:23 am

Austin wrote:
The problem is that a lot of his reviews aren't reviews. They are tirades going on and on about a specific aspect with rarely taking anything else into consideration
C'mon Austin, 3DOKid's blog isn't that bad! :P

Austin

Post by Austin » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:54 am

Trev wrote:
Austin wrote:
The problem is that a lot of his reviews aren't reviews. They are tirades going on and on about a specific aspect with rarely taking anything else into consideration
3DOKid gets a pass because, well, it's the 3DOKid. Plus, he calls it a blog. ;)

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:12 am

I usually use Video Game Critic if I want to quickly skim through a platform's games to get an idea of what's available for it and pick out a few good games.

As for Night Trap, I've actually been thinking about getting it. Is the 3DO the definitive version, or would that be the 32X+CD version?

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:21 am

Austin wrote:
Trev wrote:
Austin wrote:
Gold Star Austin. Very astute.

Trev, Ban Request

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:30 pm

3DOKid wrote:
Austin wrote:
Trev wrote: C'mon Austin, 3DOKid's blog isn't that bad! :P
Gold Star Austin. Very astute.

Trev, Ban Request
:lol:

@Mobius, I think the 32X version is a port of the 3DO one. 3DO would probably have a slight edge due to better hardware, but I can't say for certain. I don't own any of the few Sega cd/32x combos. I have read from a few different sources that the window that contains the video is larger in the 3DO version.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:23 pm

Was Dana Plato really a selling point for the game? It seems like a lot of live action FMV games over-hyped the star status of their actors; I'd imagine that most people who bought Corpse Killer back in the day didn't even know who Vincent Schiavelli is, much less care about him enough that his appearance is an encouragement to buy something. Was Plato actually a name that people got excited about back then?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:10 pm

Martin III wrote:
Was Dana Plato really a selling point for the game? It seems like a lot of live action FMV games over-hyped the star status of their actors; I'd imagine that most people who bought Corpse Killer back in the day didn't even know who Vincent Schiavelli is, much less care about him enough that his appearance is an encouragement to buy something. Was Plato actually a name that people got excited about back then?
Perhaps not in 1992, but the game was actually filmed back in 1987 so she probably was a bit more relevant at that time.

ArfredHitchcacku
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ArfredHitchcacku » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:22 pm

BAD

-Alfred Hitchcock Presents, 3DO

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:01 pm

So I popped this game in and have been having a good romp with it the past three days. The FMVs are great fun, and I enjoy taking notes on each baddie appearance, knowing I'll get him the next time. I love how the game keeps count of how many bad guys have dropped in; it makes it easy to keep an ordered list. The pacing is well-done, too. I've gotten as far as the attempted abduction of Kelly(well, successful abduction so far) and always get caught up in the intensity of that phase of the game.

Have to say, I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying this one. It's no Psychic Detective, but it is good clean fun.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:44 pm

After a break to play some more Wolfenstein 3D, I returned to this game and, to my shock, managed to finish it on the very next try. Not a bad finale, though, very intense.

One question: Do you get a different ending if you capture all the Augers?

Now that I've finished the game, I'm rather shocked at how many factual errors there are in Seanbaby's write-up(linked in my original post):

1."For some reason, the girls lived in a house that was full of ridiculous traps," Is it really possible to have played more than 15 seconds of Night Trap without it dawning on you that the girls are visitors? Or that the traps are there for a very obvious reason?

2."Anyone within earshot of the theme song to Night Trap is going to try to kill themselves. It's the musical equivalent of raking a car alarm down a chalkboard and jamming the entire thing into the asshole of a screaming cat." Wow, I think that's the most inaccurate description of the theme song possible. Sounds like Seanbaby had the same problem as ILUV3DO, only instead of thinking, "Uh oh, is this a scratched disc or is something wrong with my 3DO unit?", he just said to himself, "Dur, that must be how the song is supposed to be".

3."I can't say I watched every minute of it" Indeed, Seanbaby, I'm already getting the sense that you didn't watch even one minute of it...

4."if it didn't look like one of her boobs was going to pop out of her nightie," Sounds like someone's watching softcore porn movies a little too much. Plato's boobs had as much chance of escape in Night Trap as June Cleaver's did in Leave it to Beaver. Seriously, Seanbaby, lay off the porn.

5."Night Trap is exactly like switching between eight different channels, only at any time, seven on them are static shots of empty rooms and one is the worst show you've ever seen." Now, I can see how it might seem that way if one's experience with Night Trap was limited to a single play, even if that play were more than a 30-second run solely to justify doing a write-up on the game, since one can only watch one room at a time. But the game consistently has activity in at least two rooms, frequently more. Seanbaby could have been a lot more accurate if he just interviewed someone who'd actually played Night Trap.

6."Most of the "traps" were just a smoke machine going off and a hole opening up in a wall, and in order for them to work, the victim had to actually decide to walk into them.", "a closet that opens up, launches smoke, waits for you to walk into it, and then... closes!" Um, no such traps appear in the game. Unless Seanbaby somehow managed to overlook, among other things, A MASSIVE SECTION OF WALL SHOOTING OUT AND SLAMMING THE AUGERS IN THE BACKSIDE, LAUNCHING THEM INTO SAID CLOSET? How oblivious can you be?

7."It was even taken off the shelf for a period of time because of its graphic violence and girls in nightgowns." How does a kid pointing a toy at someone and seeing them disappear in a cheap explosion of sparks qualify as "graphic"?

8."For example, if your kid was dumb enough to buy Night Trap, he has way more wrong with him than the time a video game showed him what panties looked like. Don't get me wrong, there are many, many reasons Night Trap should be against the law, but four or five blood-soaked sorority girl nighties are not any of them." There's only one girl nightie, and it isn't even blood-soaked. As for panties, I didn't spot so much as the corner of a waistband sticking out of a pair of pants.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:13 pm

Yeah, there is a different ending if you catch them all. Not radically different mind you, but fun. :wink:

I've never cared much for Seanbaby's writing. Besides being inaccurate (like the examples you pointed out) at times he could be downright offensive.

Anyone who says they don't like the catchy Night Trap song is lying ... they are secretly a closet fan. 8)

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:50 pm

Trev wrote:Yeah, there is a different ending if you catch them all. Not radically different mind you, but fun. :wink:
Awesome. I'd been thinking about trying to catch all the Augers since very early in my playing the game, so it's nice to know that I'll have a reward to look forward to when I do!
Trev wrote:Anyone who says they don't like the catchy Night Trap song is lying ... they are secretly a closet fan. 8)
Oh yeah. I wanted to hate the song myself; it's a generic, commercialized, overly synthesized 80s pop tune. But I just can't resist it! Every time those credits roll, I start grooving.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:56 pm

For anybody who wants proof that the Video Game Critic takes reader advice, look here. Now look at his updated version of the 3DO Night Trap review.

Besides the stuff mentioned in the linked thread, the original closing statement of "Night Trap is still a great game, but the 3DO version is hardly an improvement" was changed to... well, look and see. :)

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:43 pm

Martin III wrote:For anybody who wants proof that the Video Game Critic takes reader advice, look here. Now look at his updated version of the 3DO Night Trap review.

Besides the stuff mentioned in the linked thread, the original closing statement of "Night Trap is still a great game, but the 3DO version is hardly an improvement" was changed to... well, look and see. :)
Awesome! That was a great post you made.

And it's cool of the VGC to not only answer it, but be willing to revisit the game. I like tha about him, how many others would put much weight into reader feedback?

JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JohnnyDude » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:05 am

I'm glad he revisited it. I didn't agree with his original review.

It seems like Dragon's Lair clones and Interactive Movie formats were the de facto standard when FMV's were available. It's as thoughtless as 3rd-person-cover-based-shooting today. As far as FMV games go, I think Night Trap and Sewer Shark are my favorites. There's something to be said about making do with what you have.