Suggest a good long rpg

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Suggest a good long rpg

Post by Trev » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:42 pm

Gonna be on my back for a bit, and looking to pass the time w/a good long rpg (sorry Lucienne's Quest) Hoping to find something packed w/a lot of genuine content (awesome story) vs. random grinding. Side quests are fantastic also, the more the merrier. Something Chrono Triggerish would be great, w/lots or replayability too. Any suggestions for something similar, to keep me busy and help pass the time while I'm laid up. Any system is fine.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:32 pm

Have you played Lost Odyssey on Xbox 360? I rather enjoyed that one and I think I put a good 100 hours into it. It starts a little slow (it likes to show off how pretty its graphics are for a few bits of the beginning) but it's got a pretty neat leveling system when certain characters can link skills together to learn them from the others and stuff. The text stories that get unlocked are pretty good too, if a bit of a downer at times.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:49 pm

I would like to suggest a few classic games.

Phantasy Star IV (Sega Genesis) Everyone hates on this game, but I liked it.

Final Fantasy VI (SNES) (I will always suggest this game until the end of time)

And I know this game isn't as long, but Earthbound (Mother 2) is always fun. I just played through that game recently. Or maybe play Mother 3 with the fan translation on GBA if you have never played the game before. It's just as good as the previous title in the series.

ok gotta run if I think of more, I'll post again.

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:01 pm

Phantasy Star IV (Sega Genesis) Everyone hates on this game, but I liked it.
Wait, really? Everyone hates on that one? That's the only PS game I've ever managed to finish. I'll double recommend this one too.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:46 pm

FFVI without a doubt, but you've probably already played it.

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:10 pm

Xenoblade on Wii.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:00 pm

i suggest Odyssey2's The Quest for the Rings :)

Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:09 am

Skyrim will keep you busy for over 200h if you want it to, not counting repeatable stuff.

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:06 am

Any Final Fantasy Tactics....
get the PSP version for best version, or even play on iOS

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:37 pm

Mobius wrote:Xenoblade on Wii.
I've been meaning to play this one myself. It looks pretty awesome. That and The Last Story on Wii.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:23 pm

Wow, this thread get some good replies. Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone. :)
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Hound
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Hound » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:18 am

If you want a game that'll likely piss you off, try Vay for the Sega CD. I got near the end and then the difficulty ramped up to such a degree that I threw in the towel and quit. Leveling was slow as hell too. Also, Suikoden. One of the best damn games I've played. The original for the PS. Final Fantasy 2 and 3 for the SNES too. The Ar Tonelico games for the PS2 and 3 are also quite good I think.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:17 pm

Hound wrote: Also, Suikoden. One of the best damn games I've played. The original for the PS.
Suikoden might be my favorite classic rpg ever! :) I love the story, the characters, the variety in battles, the leveling system, the recruiting process, the music, etc ... One of my biggest video game regrets is trading in Suikoden II back in the day, since now it costs a couple hundred. :cry:

The only reason I'm not playing through Suikoden right now is that I just got done playing through it twice! :wink:

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:09 pm

BryWI wrote:
Mobius wrote:Xenoblade on Wii.
I've been meaning to play this one myself. It looks pretty awesome. That and The Last Story on Wii.
Have started Xenoblade Chronciles. Not very far into it yet, but will share some thoughts as I progress.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:22 pm

I just watched Austin's reviewof Record of Lodoss War for the Dreamcast. I might even have to get a copy of that myself.

The e-mail I sent had some suggestions but I can't seem to get the other 1/3 of the message. Café wi-fi wins again. It was a list of a few more RPGs, mostly things like Snatcher and Popful Mail, although those are very different than the traditional. Plus I don't know how the save files are & if they would take up too much space on the Sega CD. I only have the LaserActive and not many Sega CD games.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:38 pm

I like Austin's vids ... will watch this one when I have 1/2 hr to kill.

Not sure on Sega cd memory ... I only have 20 or so games for my Scd, and none of them are rpgs.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:12 pm

Talking from hearsay through sega-16.com, you would definetly want a memory cartridge for at least some of the sega cd j-rpg's... they will eat up all the internal memory otherwise. whilst i have a sega cd, model 1 actually, i dont yet have any of these memory munching j-rpg's so i cant verify that, but i have no reason to believe its not the case. our 3DO has pretty limited memory too.

And i recently whiped my memory module clean from having forgotten how to actually use it :( An english translation would be awesome, coz i just got pissed off and put it away.

LawrenceJ
SPAMMER

Post by LawrenceJ » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:18 pm

sneth wrote:Any Final Fantasy Tactics....
get the PSP version for best version, or even play on iOS
Agreed. Long enough to remain interesting :) Enjoy