So - what is Texas like?

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

So - what is Texas like?

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:21 pm

I'm in Austin - Texas tomorrow for a week. :D What's it like?

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Re: So - what is Texas like?

Post by Lemmi » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:37 pm

3DOKid wrote:I'm in Austin - Texas tomorrow for a week. :D What's it like?
very hot! with big bugs :D

welcome to the states :)
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:39 pm

insects? I very rarely see insects where I go. Except from once in Japan where I saw, what I thought, was a small bird. Flapping weirdly. So weirdly I thought it was hurt, so said "look at the poor bird", turns out that it was a Butterfly. Filled with horror I was. I also saw a real live wild "stick insect" - just there, sat on the steps. I look around expecting to see some little kid looking for his pet insect - but no.

in Britain insects are small and more importantly quiet. In foriegn places (Japan at least) insects are big and damned noisy.

...Should have gone to New York.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:32 pm

3DOKid wrote:
...Should have gone to New York.
ooooh then you can see the rats that are as big as cats :D
that like Taco Bell ;)
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

bonefish
3DO ZERO USER

Post by bonefish » Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:36 am

In NYC you can put your Quarantine driving skills to good use too. See, the 3do taught me some important skills :lol:

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:17 am

OMG MATE GO TO NYC THEN YOU AND ME CAN GET WASTED AND PLAY VIDEO GAMES!
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

bonefish
3DO ZERO USER

Post by bonefish » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:47 am

LOL I was down there a few months ago for work. The Yonkers "Gaming" Facility everyone loves so much 8)

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:08 am

I may have been confused - i'm in a place called Grapevine? All I have ascertained so far is, that despite what I learnt from the TV show Dallas, is that it can be foggy and rainy, in fact I thought we had gone full circle because looking out of the window it looked like Kent on a good day.

Also - in my brief experience - the USA certainly has the best waitresses. Someone should randomly hire 5 or 6 of them and set-up a school of waitress's excellence and then set-up an office in the UK. (as a matter of urgence!)

...and at 3:00am in the morning your TV sucks too. (YEY for Jetlag)

I too want to get hammered in NY. :)

...and I've seen a scary big butterfly.

...oh and a bunch of computer crap. but that's the same everywhere.

3DO kid.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:59 pm

OK. The food isn't the best in this particular hotel. (to which I'm practically incarcerated!) Everything is fried. I mean everything. And - considering this is Texas - I've not seen a steak yet. WTF?!?!

The insects aren't just big. They are f**king enormous. The locals are friendly. I went to a beach volley ball place and drank some beer (Bud light?!? What the f**k is that about?) and got chatting to some Texan girls and explaining the whole England, Scotland, Wales, Great Britain, etc., etc., sadly i was drunk, so I made the whole thing more complicated. I also tried to figure out why the whole place is addicted to 60s English bands. (I hated John Lennon - the only regret I have about his shooting was there wasn't a bullet left for Yoko)

The weather has been weird. It's not sunny much but it's so damned hot and what looks like electrical storms for at least 2 nights!

Although this place is 'service' heaven. Served cold beers by girls in short tight skirts. and they are friendly. Apparently - I'm going to be here every six months. :)

I've got to find somewhere better to eat.

Dryden
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dryden » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:21 pm

3DOKid wrote:Everything is fried. I mean everything. And - considering this is Texas - I've not seen a steak yet. WTF?!?!

The insects aren't just big. They are f**king enormous. The locals are friendly. I went to a beach volley ball place and drank some beer (Bud light?!? What the f**k is that about?)

Can't figure out how you're not finding a steak!? I'd recommend you seek out a good "rib" joint. Authentic Texas BBQ is something you need to experience. You shouldn't have much difficulty finding traditional "southwestern" fare either, as the mix of American and Mexican culture (Tex-Mex) has resulted in several chain restaurants that can be widely found in Texas with some unique dishes you just can't enjoy anywhere else in the world.

Grapevine is in the Dallas/Fort Worth metro area (other suburbs of note are Irving and Arlington). There should be HUNDREDS of restaurants near you to choose from, but you'll need to head south of Grapevine a bit.

As for the Bud Light, I have no idea what that's about. "When in Rome ..."
Order yourself a Shiner Bock -- that's from a highly regarded Texas brewery and a must try ... otherwise you're just not experiencing Texas.

The *big* insects aren't really a problem, it's the small ones that'll do you in. Be careful where you walk barefoot, or at least look for ant hills. Texas' fire ants can land you in a hospital pretty quick.

Lastly, if you want to carry a conversation for more than five minutes with a Texan, watch SportsCenter at night before bed. :lol: They're not too keen on Premier League or Cricket. Remember, University of Texas (UT or 'Longhorns') fans hate Texas A&M (the Aggies), while Texas A&M fans hate the University of Texas doubly so. When in doubt, it's handy to know that they all hate Oklahoma equally. If you don't recognize any of these universities or have any familiarity with college football, baseball, or basketball, then get the hell out of there!

Dengar13
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dengar13 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:20 pm

Right on the money, Dryden.

Also tell the locals how much you despise the Philadelphia Eagles (the most), New York Giants, and the Washington Redskins. Tell them how great the Dallas Cowboys are.

Fireants suck really bad! :x

Bud Light isn't as bad as some American beers if you can believe that.

Mostly every major American city have radio stations that play classic rock (60's English bands fall in this category).

Yes, you must find yourself a Tex-Mex restaurant, and have a Corona or Dos Equis while you are at it...hell have three of both with some shots of tequila! :shock:

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:25 pm

Dryden wrote:
3DOKid wrote:Everything is fried. I mean everything. And - considering this is Texas - I've not seen a steak yet. WTF?!?!

The insects aren't just big. They are f**king enormous. The locals are friendly. I went to a beach volley ball place and drank some beer (Bud light?!? What the f**k is that about?)

Can't figure out how you're not finding a steak!? I'd recommend you seek out a good "rib" joint. Authentic Texas BBQ is something you need to experience. You shouldn't have much difficulty finding traditional "southwestern" fare either, as the mix of American and Mexican culture (Tex-Mex) has resulted in several chain restaurants that can be widely found in Texas with some unique dishes you just can't enjoy anywhere else in the world.

Grapevine is in the Dallas/Fort Worth metro area (other suburbs of note are Irving and Arlington). There should be HUNDREDS of restaurants near you to choose from, but you'll need to head south of Grapevine a bit.

As for the Bud Light, I have no idea what that's about. "When in Rome ..."
Order yourself a Shiner Bock -- that's from a highly regarded Texas brewery and a must try ... otherwise you're just not experiencing Texas.

The *big* insects aren't really a problem, it's the small ones that'll do you in. Be careful where you walk barefoot, or at least look for ant hills. Texas' fire ants can land you in a hospital pretty quick.

Lastly, if you want to carry a conversation for more than five minutes with a Texan, watch SportsCenter at night before bed. :lol: They're not too keen on Premier League or Cricket. Remember, University of Texas (UT or 'Longhorns') fans hate Texas A&M (the Aggies), while Texas A&M fans hate the University of Texas doubly so. When in doubt, it's handy to know that they all hate Oklahoma equally. If you don't recognize any of these universities or have any familiarity with college football, baseball, or basketball, then get the hell out of there!

ahhhh - see. I'm not really allowed off of the facility. ;)

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:53 pm

lesson #2. Mosquitos can bite through socks. Son-of-a-bitch. And ouch.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:38 am

I had a "24oz Cowboy Steak", washed down with some Texan wine. I also purchase a white stensen but sadly no aviator raybans - as they were all out. Still it was good.

Holland next week. sigh. drive - airport - taxi - hotel - work - hotel - taxi -airport - drive. sigh.

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:02 am

3DOKid wrote:Holland next week. sigh. drive - airport - taxi - hotel - work - hotel - taxi -airport - drive. sigh.
Between all this travel and being practically jailed in your hotel, what the hell do you do?

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:53 am

Network Security Y'all. sigh.

wulfren
3DO ZERO USER

Post by wulfren » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:29 am

talking about all this traveling reminds me a bit of my travels

(its sad i've traveled more out of my own country than I have in it)

As for the big bug issue, I tend to think (at least in the US) that the coastal Carolina's have the worse. They are called "Palmetto bugs" but in fact they look like a 2-3" (or larger) Roach. First time I saw one it was really disturbing. Then after living on the beach for a year plus I almost got "use" to the idea of them finding there way in the house.

As for just finding exceeding amounts of reptiles. the USVI had more Iguana per square inch than anywhere else in the world. Some were big enough to actually stop light traffic (the islanders would not run over them in fear of them deflating the tires on the car or worse)

Maybe one of these days I will travel to the hot states (TX, AZ ect) but as it is right now. heh i'll stick with the Eastern side ..Anywho I hope you enjoyed your "incarceration" of Texas lol
Wulfren

~Lupine Nobilis~

Dengar13
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dengar13 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:22 pm

wulfren wrote:talking about all this traveling reminds me a bit of my travels

(its sad i've traveled more out of my own country than I have in it)

As for the big bug issue, I tend to think (at least in the US) that the coastal Carolina's have the worse. They are called "Palmetto bugs" but in fact they look like a 2-3" (or larger) Roach. First time I saw one it was really disturbing. Then after living on the beach for a year plus I almost got "use" to the idea of them finding there way in the house.

As for just finding exceeding amounts of reptiles. the USVI had more Iguana per square inch than anywhere else in the world. Some were big enough to actually stop light traffic (the islanders would not run over them in fear of them deflating the tires on the car or worse)

Maybe one of these days I will travel to the hot states (TX, AZ ect) but as it is right now. heh i'll stick with the Eastern side ..Anywho I hope you enjoyed your "incarceration" of Texas lol
YES! Palmetto bugs are like giant roaches. I was stationed in S.C. and when I first saw one I tripped out. I remember when I moved my wife down there and we hadn't finished unpacking and she heard little pieces of styrofoam cracking about and woke up to see some palmetto bugs lurking about she damn near had a heartattack! Ahhh...good times. They just accept them down there...yuck!