HELL: A CYBERPUNK ADVENTURE

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

HELL: A CYBERPUNK ADVENTURE

Post by T2KFreeker » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:38 am

You know, this was another game that didn't seem to get the respect it deserved on release. I know it probably isn't the most graphically amazing game on the system, but damn, the story alone was so enough to drag me in. Even with using Dennis Hopper and Grace Jones as selling points, the game was deep, which is rare for titles like this. Usually big stars are in the games and it kills them. I still thought the opening with the people falling into the pit that was shaped like a screaming mans mouth and the flames was just unsettling! Come on, where's the love?
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:17 am

I sunk a ton of time into this game. Some of the puzzles were bloody hard. This was before FAQ's were all over the internet.

The funny thing with this game was the walking speed. I found it unplayable without putting in the speed cheat. Also, if you didn't know, there is a speed cheat. Use it.

I'm trying to remember if I ever finished it. The save is still on my original 3DO. If i recall, it took up a f' ton of space.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Re: HELL: A CYBERPUNK ADVENTURE

Post by Trev » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:51 am

T2KFreeker wrote: Come on, where's the love?
Calling 3DO Experience ...
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:55 am

Oh Trev you know my heart. I LOVE this game!

I have the big box for the DOS version. A longbox for 3DO, a few loose jewel case 3DOs. A CD-R 3DO copy *cough*. A "HELL: A Cyberpunk Thriller" titled music CD containing the main theme and a bunch of Hell/Satan related songs including an edited version of Satan's conversation with Gideon and Rachel turned into a speech. I also have the Pima official strategy guide and the novelization of the game. Yes they made a book out of it. I bought the 3DO Game Secrets 2 book quickly after finding out it had HELL coverage. I made some Game Guru codes for it and pulled all the background cels out of the 3DO copy just to look at from time to time.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:29 pm

3DO Experience wrote:Oh Trev you know my heart. I LOVE this game!

I have the big box for the DOS version. A longbox for 3DO, a few loose jewel case 3DOs. A CD-R 3DO copy *cough*. A "HELL: A Cyberpunk Thriller" titled music CD containing the main theme and a bunch of Hell/Satan related songs including an edited version of Satan's conversation with Gideon and Rachel turned into a speech. I also have the Pima official strategy guide and the novelization of the game. Yes they made a book out of it. I bought the 3DO Game Secrets 2 book quickly after finding out it had HELL coverage. I made some Game Guru codes for it and pulled all the background cels out of the 3DO copy just to look at from time to time.
:shock:

Can you post some pics of this amazing collection you have? I'd love to see it! :oops:

Doskias
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Doskias » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:11 pm

3DO Experience pics please :D .

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:00 pm

This is one of the 3DO titles that most caught my attention when I started looking into the system. It just seems like such an interesting and unusual game.

And really, you just have to love how blunt 3DO titles are in general: Hell, Sex, Killing Time (I've heard of honesty in advertising, but that one's just ridiculous!), Brain Dead 13, Maps o' Death, etc... No beating around the bush in 3DO land, it seems. :wink:

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:29 am

Decided to start the game over. You know, even though the graphics have lost some polish, it is still quite a disturbing game. With all the love on "Remastered" games and such, I would so love to see this game redone with today's technology just too see how much freakier it could get.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:19 pm

i think i got to the half way point in the game and stopped playing and i dont know why, well maybe its because its been over 13 years since ive played it
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

ILUV3DO
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ILUV3DO » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:58 am

I was surprised and pleased when I popped the game in to try it out and found it was a point and click adventure.

My favorite genre!
"Logic is the ultimate weapon!"

-Prowl (Autobot, Military Strategist)

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:50 pm

i remember strolling through this game and then just hitting a wall sometimes. Like a keypad or a secret password would just stump me. And a primitive internet did not help this much.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:37 am

Image Image

Sorry for the delay, I upped all the backgrounds here.

If anyone is wondering what happened to the last two posts I just couldn't stand to see elitegamer's trolling smearing a thread on one of my fav games.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:37 am

3DO Experience wrote: If anyone is wondering what happened to the last two posts I just couldn't stand to see elitegamer's trolling smearing a thread on one of my fav games.
:lol:
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:25 pm

What would you all say is a reasonable price to pay for this game these days? I've still been looking around for a copy, but am having a hard time getting read on what the going value is since hardly anyone ever bids for it on Ebay. Sure, I can easily afford to plop down $20 for a copy with no manual, but is that paying too much? (Speaking of which, how important is the manual for Hell? Should I worry about getting a copy which includes one?)

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:17 am

Martin III wrote:What would you all say is a reasonable price to pay for this game these days? I've still been looking around for a copy, but am having a hard time getting read on what the going value is since hardly anyone ever bids for it on evilbay. Sure, I can easily afford to plop down $20 for a copy with no manual, but is that paying too much? (Speaking of which, how important is the manual for Hell? Should I worry about getting a copy which includes one?)
Dude, I happen to have an extra copy of the game. It's the cased version with the artwork but no manual. Shoot me a PM with your address and you can have it man. It's all good. I'd rather share the love on this title.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:32 am

For price-gauging purposes, eStarland.com's last copy sold for $20, CIB. They tend to be on the high end of prices, so I suppose $15ish+ is reasonable. Then again, 3DO stuff seems to fluctuate so much more than other platforms since a lot of its games don't pop up regularly, so it's hard to judge.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:29 am

Austin wrote:Then again, 3DO stuff seems to fluctuate so much more than other platforms since a lot of its games don't pop up regularly, so it's hard to judge.
Ain't that the truth.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:59 am

HELL is one of those games that actually hovers at about the same price. Around $20 CIB so they weren't gauging there. Can't beat Freeker's price though! LOL

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:09 am

T2KFreeker wrote:Dude, I happen to have an extra copy of the game. It's the cased version with the artwork but no manual. Shoot me a PM with your address and you can have it man. It's all good. I'd rather share the love on this title.
Awesome! PM sent.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:58 pm

Martin III wrote:
T2KFreeker wrote:Dude, I happen to have an extra copy of the game. It's the cased version with the artwork but no manual. Shoot me a PM with your address and you can have it man. It's all good. I'd rather share the love on this title.
Awesome! PM sent.
No problem at all man. I want to spread the love with this title. Great game that needs more exposure anyway! Enjoy. I'll ship on the first. :wink:

vampyre mike
3DO ZERO USER

Post by vampyre mike » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:57 pm

I love evil themed things, and Cyberpunk of course. I bought this on the PC and never played it, had a 3do and turned it on once or twice but never started it fully. Just messed with it a bit.

Now that I am officially back on the 3do band wagon, and own this... I can't wait. I just finished Daedalus Encounter and want to dive into this head first.

Maybe Dennis Hopper will throw out some fun blue velvet quotes? lol

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:42 pm

This past week or so I've been enjoying this game - thanks very much to T2KFreeker! I was a little unsure at first, since the graphics reminded me a bit of the human models in Creature Shock (shudder), the frame rate on the FMVs is appalling, the music put me off, and the voice acting early on is pretty bad.

Before long, though, I really got into the presentation and most especially the gameplay. The cyclic FMVs can be really awkward at points, but for the most part it works surprisingly well, thanks to well-considered choices for animations. I've come to really like the music; it sets the mood splendidly and isn't intrusive. The voice acting is mostly quite solid, with the actors playing nicely to the characterization-rich dialogue. And most importantly, the whole cyberpunk setting is handled with a consistency and attention to detail that makes it feel real.

And man, the gameplay. They've streamlined the whole point-and-click concept. Having the left shift button cycle through every point of interest is so refreshing. I do enjoy scanning the screen with the pointer in point-and-clicks, but it gets old after a while. The replay function, with its multiple sorting methods, is a lifesaver. Annoyingly, sometimes the characters refuse to go from one room to the next, but otherwise the game flows as smooth as can be. Then there's the puzzles themselves, which (with a few exceptions) are outstanding. Usually in non-handholding adventure games like this, where more is involved than just collecting and using items, the puzzles tend to be ridiculously obscure. This hasn't been the case thus far, and I've been having a ball wrapping my head around some of these.

One question: Does the game include mouse support? For that matter, is getting a 3DO mouse generally a good investment? I have a Saturn mouse, and while I'm very happy with the use I get out of it, it is frustrating how few games support the mouse in comparison to how many would benefit from it.

Austin

Post by Austin » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:49 am

A 3DO mouse isn't the best investment, especially if you have to pay eBay prices. Only a handful of games support it. Lemmings is the best example of a game that utilizes it. I don't know if Hell supports it though.

*edit: I found that Hell does not support the mouse. I dug up a thread I started back in '10 about the mouse, and this is what I found that is compatible with it: Cyberdillo, Fun 'n Games, Kingdom: The Far Reaches, Lemmings, Myst, Shanghai Triple Threat, World Cup Golf, Policenauts, and most of the American Laser Games.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:54 am

Thanks for the info! Yeah, it looks like a 3DO mouse wouldn't be the best buy for me. The only games on that list that I'm interested in getting are Shanghai Triple Threat and Space Pirates. Since I'm leaning towards getting the Saturn version of Shanghai (which also has mouse support), and I think I'd rather use a light gun than mouse for Space Pirates, that leaves no reason for me to get one at this point.

It is a shame that Hell doesn't have mouse support. As streamlined as the control is, I'd still like to be able to manually move the pointer with comfort. As with most console point-and-clicks, manipulating the pointer with a D-pad is awkward and sometimes even mildly frustrating.

Austin

Post by Austin » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:20 pm

Well, I found a copy of this on eBay last night. CIB, looks to be in okay shape, reasonably price ($17-ish after shipping) . I snapped it up, so I will try to give this another chance some time down the road. I played it a couple years ago, but the slow load times kind of put me off.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:27 pm

Martin III wrote:... and the voice acting early on is pretty bad.
Yeah, I know. What the hell (pun intended) were they thinking with the first clip? It's like they were reading it for the first time off the page, then you get into the game and the acting is fine! Why didn't they go back and re-record the lines to the intro video again???

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:06 pm

3DO Experience wrote:
Martin III wrote:... and the voice acting early on is pretty bad.
Yeah, I know. What the hell (pun intended) were they thinking with the first clip? It's like they were reading it for the first time off the page, then you get into the game and the acting is fine! Why didn't they go back and re-record the lines to the intro video again???
I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking that. It's so weird, since usually it's the opening cinema that gets the most attention in games.

I finished the game yesterday. To open with a complaint, the plot is lacking in credibility; for starters, I don't understand why the CFF saw destroying the Hell program as so vital. Wouldn't it make more sense to overthrow the government first and then delete the program at their leisure? And don't even get me started on the "Re-entombment" thing.

That said, so much of the game is focused on the setting rather than the core plot that this didn't matter much to me, and the setting was done very well. The insane logic of Hell (the place, not the game) was so smoothly ingrained into my brain that the solution to the "Abyss" puzzle, which would have made no sense to me in another game, came off as almost obvious. All the fringe groups, like the Cleans and the Psionic League, add wonderfully to the cyberpunk setting.

I really enjoyed most of the puzzles, too. The music room in Hell is a memorable one. I struggled over that one for an hour or so, only for the answer to hit me as I lay down to bed that night. It was a genuine "Eureka!" moment.

A question: Is it just me, or is the 3DO version fairly buggy? In particular, I found myself occasionally stuck in hellpits because selecting "Styx" wouldn't do anything, leaving me with no choice but to restart the console. There were also crashes at points where the disc drive was struggling to load something. It's important for me to know if this is all just my own experience, because I'm thinking of doing a review of the game.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:16 pm

I'm so happy when a plan comes together. Glad you sre enjoying the game. Funny as it is, the quality of the game shanges as it goes along. Not sure what the deal with that is. Even the graphics seem to clean up as the game goes. Not sure if they got infusuions of money or what as they were making the game, but in the end, I actually think it adds to the charm of the title. The game can get pretty damn hard towards the end too, so watch it man. Pay close attemtion or you might end up assed out. :wink:

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:10 am

Martin III wrote:A question: Is it just me, or is the 3DO version fairly buggy? In particular, I found myself occasionally stuck in hellpits because selecting "Styx" wouldn't do anything, leaving me with no choice but to restart the console. There were also crashes at points where the disc drive was struggling to load something. It's important for me to know if this is all just my own experience, because I'm thinking of doing a review of the game.
I've never had a problem with it and I've played the 3DO version many, many, many times, even on different discs. I fear you might have a lens problem or a scratched disc.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:10 pm

3DO Experience wrote:
Martin III wrote:A question: Is it just me, or is the 3DO version fairly buggy? In particular, I found myself occasionally stuck in hellpits because selecting "Styx" wouldn't do anything, leaving me with no choice but to restart the console. There were also crashes at points where the disc drive was struggling to load something. It's important for me to know if this is all just my own experience, because I'm thinking of doing a review of the game.
I've never had a problem with it and I've played the 3DO version many, many, many times, even on different discs. I fear you might have a lens problem or a scratched disc.
Man, I hope it's not a lens problem. All my other 3DO games seem to play fine, at least, but it's hard to believe it could be a scratched disc, since I wouldn't think rebooting would solve the problems if it were.

Anyway, it's good to know that it's not a problem with the game itself. I'm not bothered by minor bugs like that, but I know some people are.