Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

3DO vs PLaystation.

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:01 pm

This is interesting.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:23 am

I felt the same way in the early days of the Playstation, but i do believe that in the long run, as people started learning the PS system and got better programming for it, it ran away from the 3DO where pure power is concerend. I dont think the best 3DO games can compete with the best Playstation games in terms of techincal measurements. Gameplay is too objective to comment on.

ArfredHitchcacku
3DO ZERO USER

Re: 3DO vs PLaystation.

Post by ArfredHitchcacku » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:06 am

3DOKid wrote:This is interesting.

Inflexible Memory Management? That's really, really interesting considering how infamous the PS3 is in this area. Want to know why Fallout 3, Oblivion, and Skyrim freeze on PS3 but don't nearly as much on 360? Or why you have to install 7GB or even sometimes more in order to just play some PS3 games? The memory pool is more limited than the 360. If you make a game from scratch on the PS3 it can really shine, but that's why multiplatform games are often inferior on it and at best are lower in graphics and resolution (Most 360 games are upscaled to 1080p while many PS3 games only go as far as 720) and at worst suffer from great amounts of lag as well (Bayonetta, The Orange Box) I guess it goes to show that old habits die hard. I do wonder how much blame falls on the developers, if you build a game from scratch on the PS3 this doesn't happen so maybe if they spent more time porting Space Hulk it could be just as good if not better.
BAD

-Alfred Hitchcock Presents, 3DO

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:16 am

I never realized there was such a huge difference between the two versions of Space Hulk. Those screen captures in the article are worlds apart.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:58 am

Good ol' 3DO mag had a few of these articles during the early days of the psx ... 50% to take a zing at the competition, 50% to fill pages due to the shrinking 3DO market, 100% awesome! 8)
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:27 pm

That is a pretty jaw-dropping difference. I know the Saturn version is also generally inferior to the 3DO version; is it similar to the PlayStation version, or did it fail in a different manner?

boabject78
3DO ZERO USER

Post by boabject78 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:41 pm

I just remember my mate being non too pleased with his PSX version at the time, he had been spoiled with my 3do before jumping on the Sony bandwagon.

He hated that the game looked dull and would crash and freeze during battles just like the Goldstar 3do did.
I had a Goldstar for about a month before phoning EA for a fix and they told me the cheap chipset couldn't handle the game then they proceeded to give me the cheat code and said it was the only way I could play the game!

My mate just accepted the fact that the 3do conversions on his PSX were going to be crap.
....the 3do could do that............if it felt like it.

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:36 pm

I wouldn't say the 3DO hit it's peak performance either. Remember people were still getting accustomed to 32 bit sprites and textures.

I think we could have seen some impressive titles with the platform on par with PSX.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:54 am

WOW, I bought the Saturn version after years of playing the 3DO version and I have to say, it doesn't look anywhere as bad as the PSX version.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

UK3DOFAN
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UK3DOFAN » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:25 pm

I remember reading a similar article in the Official 3DO magazine, the gold edition i think that said PO`ed didnt look as good on Playstation compared to the 3DO version but had a better frame rate.

Remember these titles were developed for 3DO to get the best out of it and converted to PS1 very early in its life, i'm sure later on programmers could of improved them massively on PS1.

Some of the PS1 games like Gran Turismo would of been very difficult to do as good on the 3DO but for hardware that came out over a year earlier than PS1 the 3DO does a very good job, to me its way better than any hardware released in 1993, way ahead of its time and the PS1 /Saturn were only slightly faster in most tasks.

Saturn version of Road Rash does run faster and smoother than the 3DO version.
3DO 4 Life!

ArfredHitchcacku
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ArfredHitchcacku » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:09 am

3DO Experience wrote:WOW, I bought the Saturn version after years of playing the 3DO version and I have to say, it doesn't look anywhere as bad as the PSX version.
Perhaps the Saturn has more similar hardware in some respects to the 3DO than the Playstation does? It would explain why that port is superior, but really I guess who knows.
BAD

-Alfred Hitchcock Presents, 3DO

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:42 am

Here's the other article.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:21 pm

You know, in those early days, the Saturn actually pulled off 3DO titles much better than the Playstation did. I still will stand behind Road Rash, Space Hulk, Gex, and Need for Speed on the system. On the Playstation, not so much. I don't know why it is that way, especially when you hear about what a nightmare it's supposed to be to program for the Saturn, but it is what it is. I personally always liked the Saturn over the Playstation anyway.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

NeoGeoCD
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoCD » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:33 am

I think its really hard to compare and the 3do ans the PS. The architecture of both systems is really different. While SNES and Genesis where build for 2D processing the Playstation was a pure 3D machine. The 3do on the other hand was coughed in the middle. With games like space hulk, need for speed road rash, poed and so many more only the environment is made out of polygons, while characters, enemies and items are sprites. 3do was designed with this kind os game desgin in mind. When Sonys Playstation architecture wasn't meant for those games. I guess it would be. Fair to say that 3do does not stand a chance in 3d graphics with the ARM60 against the MIPS. But I think that 3do could defently at least keep up with the PS when we t comes to 2D. Street Fighter Alpha would have been probably able to be played on 3do hardware. Im not so sure with perfect Saturn ports like Marvel. Vs Capcom, because of the limited RAM.

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:04 am

NeoGeoCD wrote:I think its really hard to compare and the 3do ans the PS. The architecture of both systems is really different. While SNES and Genesis where build for 2D processing the Playstation was a pure 3D machine. The 3do on the other hand was coughed in the middle. With games like space hulk, need for speed road rash, poed and so many more only the environment is made out of polygons, while characters, enemies and items are sprites. 3do was designed with this kind os game desgin in mind. When Sonys Playstation architecture wasn't meant for those games. I guess it would be. Fair to say that 3do does not stand a chance in 3d graphics with the ARM60 against the MIPS. But I think that 3do could defently at least keep up with the PS when we t comes to 2D. Street Fighter Alpha would have been probably able to be played on 3do hardware. Im not so sure with perfect Saturn ports like Marvel. Vs Capcom, because of the limited RAM.
3D is in 3DO's name.
3D is NOT in Playstation's name.
Therefore, 3DO does 3D better.

QED.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:08 am

Play is in Playstation's name.

Play is NOT in 3DO's name.

Therefore, Playstation plays better. :P

:wink:
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:57 am

T2KFreeker wrote:You know, in those early days, the Saturn actually pulled off 3DO titles much better than the Playstation did. I still will stand behind Road Rash, Space Hulk, Gex, and Need for Speed on the system. On the Playstation, not so much. I don't know why it is that way, especially when you hear about what a nightmare it's supposed to be to program for the Saturn, but it is what it is. I personally always liked the Saturn over the Playstation anyway.
Yeah, I always made fun of the Saturn but when I finally bought one (many years later, the reason why I can't recall) I was quite impressed. And I found I liked Saturn versions of games more than their PlayStation counterparts. It's like they had to do tricks to make the system pull off what the PSX could do but it somehow made the games more present for me.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:08 am

Saturn was my first "32-Bit" system (well, asides from the heavily discounted 32X). All of the comparable systems back then were great, but I wouldn't have had it any other way. Priced at $200 when I got it, packed with Virtua Fighter 2, Daytona USA, and Virtua Cop, the Saturn was one of the most amazing bundles I've ever had the pleasure of receiving. Such a great system overall, too, especially when you get into the import realm of things.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:26 pm

I loved Daytona, visually at least, in the arcade, and was dumb struck by the awful conversion. Virtua Fighter was mauled badly by the conversion to Saturn too, as was virtua racer. Virtua cop 1 & 2 was special mind you on the Saturn, as was funnily enough Virtua Fighter 2 but by then Sony had my soul, and Tekken 2 was the game. The nail in the coffin was around the time Nights into Dreams came out, which was being heralded as some must-have-amazing game. But it struck me as utter crap. really dreadful in so far as I was concerned, i tried to love it, analogue pad and all but... Never bothered much with the system again.

I think what happens is, you really involved in one system, and if you are only interested in headline games for another, and they don't meet expectations, you give up.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:44 pm

Austin wrote: packed with Virtua Fighter 2, Daytona USA, and Virtua Cop, the Saturn was one of the most amazing bundles I've ever had the pleasure of receiving.
That was the bundle I got too! :) I still remember being amazed by VF2, even though by the time I bought it (late '98 I think) the Saturn was dead in the states here, and the DC was less than 1 year away. It was a great time to snatch up AAA games dirt cheap.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:39 pm

Yeah, my canny brother learned about that Saturn bundle and got me pushing for it as a Christmas gift alongside him. Obviously this was December 1997, so there were only five more Saturn games that would be released in our country, and in fact we didn't pick up any of them! Despite that, we had a great year with that pack-in bundle, the Bootleg Sampler, and other older games like Panzer Dragoon II and Bug Too. I still occasionally thank my brother for turning me on to that wonderful machine.

And yeah, I feel the 3DO's graphical output is more similar to the Saturn's than the PlayStation's.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:11 pm

I wish I had grabbed some of the last releases from 1998 back in the day ... they fetch a pretty penny now (although I'd probably keep them to play and not sell)

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:31 pm

3DO Experience wrote:
T2KFreeker wrote:You know, in those early days, the Saturn actually pulled off 3DO titles much better than the Playstation did. I still will stand behind Road Rash, Space Hulk, Gex, and Need for Speed on the system. On the Playstation, not so much. I don't know why it is that way, especially when you hear about what a nightmare it's supposed to be to program for the Saturn, but it is what it is. I personally always liked the Saturn over the Playstation anyway.
Yeah, I always made fun of the Saturn but when I finally bought one (many years later, the reason why I can't recall) I was quite impressed. And I found I liked Saturn versions of games more than their PlayStation counterparts. It's like they had to do tricks to make the system pull off what the PSX could do but it somehow made the games more present for me.
Yeah. First game that really grabbed me too was Alien Trilogy. The graphics looked sharper and more defined on the Saturn version to me. Also, as strange as this is considering what the Playstation is supposed to be built for over the Saturn, the transparencies for steam look mush more natural on the Saturn over the Playstation version. Very bizarre when you think about it. Saturn is so worth it oo with games like Guardian Heroes. Can't go wrong there. Still love my 3DO though!

NikeX
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NikeX » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:29 pm

Always forgotten, even by 3DO gamers: StarFighter

"These versions were of inferior quality to the 3DO version. The most notable drop of quality was in the graphics. The game made heavy use of distance fog to significantly decrease the draw distance. Also, detail levels on the buildings, texture mapped ground and other objects were decreased. The graphical elements that impressed people in the 3DO versions were simply not there."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Fight ... eo_game%29

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGXytmFQHns

M2 Starfighter was planned.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:59 pm

NikeX wrote:Always forgotten, even by 3DO gamers: StarFighter

"These versions were of inferior quality to the 3DO version. The most notable drop of quality was in the graphics. The game made heavy use of distance fog to significantly decrease the draw distance. Also, detail levels on the buildings, texture mapped ground and other objects were decreased. The graphical elements that impressed people in the 3DO versions were simply not there."

Who forgot Star Fighter? The game is amazing on the 3DO and sucks balls on everything else.
Last edited by T2KFreeker on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:13 am

T2KFreeker wrote:

Who forgot Satr Fighter? The game is amazing on the 3DO and sucks balls on everything else.
I was thinking the same thing ... seems to me that 3DO gamers seem to hold Starfighter in high regard (and rightfully so!)

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:40 am

Trev wrote:
T2KFreeker wrote:

Who forgot Satr Fighter? The game is amazing on the 3DO and sucks balls on everything else.
I was thinking the same thing ... seems to me that 3DO gamers seem to hold Starfighter in high regard (and rightfully so!)
Have any of you also noticed that Return Fire on the Playstation sucks in comparison to the 3DO version? I know they compressed the game and it's expansion pack down to one disc. Not sure if this is why, but the blurry graphics and chirpy music just kills it for me. The music is what hurts most as that is one thing that really grabs you and pulls you into the game in the first place!

Gex sucks on the Playstation as well compared to the 3DO version. Saturn version of Gex though is very nice. One of the few times I can think of where a conversion of a 3DO title came out a little better than what was on the 3DO.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:31 am

T2KFreeker wrote:Have any of you also noticed that Return Fire on the Playstation sucks.... Gex sucks on the Playstation...
*looks at 3DOKid* Yeah, Playstation does suck. :twisted:

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:27 am

3DO Experience wrote:
T2KFreeker wrote:Have any of you also noticed that Return Fire on the Playstation sucks.... Gex sucks on the Playstation...
*looks at 3DOKid* Yeah, Playstation does suck. :twisted:
Ban Request. Seriously. Ban the bitch.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:47 pm

Overboard comment detected!