How about some more Jag talk?

It does float! And doesn't get soggy in milk! :)

Moderator: a31chris

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

How about some more Jag talk?

Post by Austin » Mon May 28, 2012 6:26 am

Well, it's been a while since a post was made in this sub-forum, so.. I'll make a shot with this one, I suppose:

What have you been doing with your Jag lately?

Nothing? Well, that's fine. How about at least reminiscing about what you like (or used to like) on the system?

For me, I think I enjoy more of this system's library than most. No, I don't particularly care for Checkered Flag, nor does Supercross 3D turn me on, but still, I enjoy stuff like Attack of the Mutant Penguins, the semi-shoddy port of Flashback, Atari Karts (which really isn't very good compared to Mario Kart), Zool 2, and more.

But really, the main point of my post is to let you know that I've rediscovered the awesomeness that is Tempest 2000.

Holy *&#(!! What an effing awesome game!!!!

This was easily one of my favorite games of all time back in the late '90s, but to be honest, I got out of the Jag scene for several years and hadn't really played it seriously in quite a while. For the AtariAge Jaguar High Score Club though, I have attempted to give it an honest attempt again, and.. Holy crap, this game is.. Completely. Awesome. No questions asked.

It is the perfect balance of old and new--the retro (early '80s) gameplay, mixed with new elements. It has an excellent soundtrack (provided you enjoy early '90s electronic music), and the gameplay is simply perfect. It hardly goes overboard like later Minter games do (Tempest 3000, Space Giraffe, etc), and it is an absolute joy to play.. especially if you are good at it! :D

So, what is your Jag talk? ;)

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Mon May 28, 2012 11:48 am

i havent played my jag in about 10 years, except to test the jag cd i sold.

in the late 90's i played alot of Brutal Sports Football, Club Drive , and Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story which i hated but i only had a handfull of games or so at the time.
then when i got Tempest i played it to death, almost to the point of buying a very expensive rotary controller. if i ever get an arcade game i want either Tempest or Robotron

i also have AvP but havent played it like 15 other games i have :)
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

Austin

Post by Austin » Mon May 28, 2012 3:56 pm

Brutal Sports, to my surprise, is actually a lot of fun! :)

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon May 28, 2012 9:48 pm

Austin wrote:Brutal Sports, to my surprise, is actually a lot of fun! :)

It was one of the games on the death throws of the Amiga too. It was pretty good.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon May 28, 2012 9:56 pm

I was never a fan of the jag. Only in hind sight, years later, did I come to appreciate it. I remember arguing hammer-and-tongue with my house mate, who swore it would win the 'next gen' wars. We were both wrong i guess.

Alien vs Predator, in the magazines, filled me with awe. Even today it looks and moves amazingly well. It's very, very well done. In 1993, Aliens the movie was 7 years old even then...

Aside from AvP, there was Iron Soldier. I'm a big fan of this game. When I saw it in the magazines, it just looked so different, so much better than anything on the Amiga/Snes/PC/MD, it just looked amazing. A totally different league.A huge jump.

Rayman, I wasn't all that interested back-in-the-day. But Raymans longevity, over the years, has won my heart.

Cybermorph was probably the first game on the Jag I saw. It wasn't Total Eclipse now was it? :)

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue May 29, 2012 4:55 am

I agree we need more Jag talk! That being said, my most recent gaming w/it has been Club Drive & Double Dragon V. :oops:
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin

Post by Austin » Tue May 29, 2012 7:15 am

Trev wrote:..my most recent gaming w/it has been Club Drive & Double Dragon V. :oops:
Well, they will at least make for some--uh--interesting talk. :lol:

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue May 29, 2012 10:50 pm

Double Dragon V or Fight for Life ... which is the worse Jag fighter? :P
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin

Post by Austin » Wed May 30, 2012 6:45 pm

Oh man, that's a tough call.. Ugh.. Um.. I don't know if I can pick just one. :lol:

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed May 30, 2012 6:49 pm

Trev wrote:Double Dragon V or Fight for Life ... which is the worse Jag fighter? :P
Kazumi Ninja makes Way of the Warrior look awesome.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:57 am

3DOKid wrote:
Trev wrote:Double Dragon V or Fight for Life ... which is the worse Jag fighter? :P
Kazumi Ninja makes Way of the Warrior look awesome.
:P

How bout Shadow? :wink:

Austin

Post by Austin » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:58 am

Nothing can possibly make Shadow look good. Absolutely nothing. Not even Mortal Kombat on the Game.Com.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:47 am

I want a boxed Rayman with manual in good condition, but i cant find one anywhere :(

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:32 pm

grimm wrote:I want a boxed Rayman with manual in good condition, but i cant find one anywhere :(
A good game that, sadly, doesn't seem to be all that common in complete condition.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:36 pm

There is one on ebay, but the seller has yet to respond to my request of selling it outside USA. Sometimes people simply ignore you. As if your money isnt good enough for them or something.

Ive missed alot of items i wouldve paid good money for, simply because people refuse to ship outside their own country. Last before this one, a pc engine duo-r with new laser and rgb mod, it sold for £170ish, i was willing to bid 200+ but the guy didnt respond to any of my three messages.

So im guessing i wont ever get Rayman in the condition its in on ebay right now. But i do have a skunkboard on the way, so at least ill get to play it.

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:29 am

grimm wrote:There is one on evilbay, but the seller has yet to respond to my request of selling it outside USA. Sometimes people simply ignore you. As if your money isnt good enough for them or something.
Not to drag this off topic, but as an eBay seller from time to time, I wanted to comment on this. So often, it seems to be the issue of one bad apple ruining the bunch, y'know? My buddy and I have sold some stuff on and off in the past and out of the seven times we've sold outside of the US, it's ended poorly 6 times. Maybe we've had some poor luck, but it's just made us so leery about the situation that we just avoid it at this point. I'd imagine it'd be the same situation for a lot of other sellers.

I get the frustration though. I've wanted a bunch of things from overseas but the seller is unwilling to send them to the USA a bunch of times. It's aggravating but I guess I get it from being on the other side as well. This wasn't a jab at you, just so we're clear, I'm sure you're a trustworthy dude, but I just wanted to comment on it from the other side.

Back on topic! I'm probably gonna get a Jaguar with my next paycheck. After how much fun I've had with the weirdness of the Lynx in the last couple of days, the Jaguar seems like a good next purchase.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:17 am

95%, and im not exxagerating much, of my game collection (PS2 and 3 being the only exceptions really) has come from either abroad, mainly USA or UK and often Japan, or found by one of the few sellers in sweden who does NOT ask 3-4 times the price for an imported item. And with over 404 seller feedback entries on ebay alone (none of them swedish sellers, where im from), all of them positive, i can say only 2 or 3 of those have had any kind of issue. Those issues have almost always been solved. Only once has an item gotten lost on its way to me, as well. The only time something ended bad was a hong kong based company who probably ripped me off on a bootleg PS3 controller. It was fairly expensive so it wasnt obvious as to what it was. Once i got it, i noticed bad performance, looked it over and saw tell tale signs of what it was. The seller told me to return it for a refund incl all postage costs. Stupidly i did not use tracking, and either it got stolen or seized in chinese customs, or he simply ripped me off, no way to tell. But that is 1, out of over 500 imports ive made over 15 odd years. I cant believe that im the best buyer out there, im simply rational, and combined with a rational seller, all or most issues can be avoided or solved without it turning people away from selling abroad. Issues like lost packages, damaged goods etc happens within the borders too.

People may have had bad experiences, but they often blow it out of proportion simply because they dont have the energy to take the extra time exporting something means.. Its up to them naturally, but i feel its wrong to judge a person as a poor buyer simply because they are not from your country..

That said, there are still plenty of international sellers on ebay and other places, but if you want rare or hard to find items, those cant always help you. And they ARE becoming less, as a percentage compared to years gone by. 5 years ago i didnt really have this problem buying on ebay. Now it happens fairly often.

Austin

Post by Austin » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:00 pm

In regards to Rayman, I'm tempted to buy a spare box, just to guarantee myself at least a boxed copy of the game. I figured manual + cart combos are more likely to appear at reasonable prices down the line than CIB versions. I don't know.. I'm going to have to think about it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Display-Box-Ray ... 288wt_1026

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:09 pm

Austin wrote:In regards to Rayman, I'm tempted to buy a spare box, just to guarantee myself at least a boxed copy of the game. I figured manual + cart combos are more likely to appear at reasonable prices down the line than CIB versions. I don't know.. I'm going to have to think about it: http://www.evilbay.com/itm/Display-Box- ... 288wt_1026
Good point there.