My First 3DO...

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

j4ck
3DO ZERO USER

My First 3DO...

Post by j4ck » Thu May 03, 2012 1:00 pm

I'm from Australia, so you don't see too many 3DOs around.

I picked one up from a guy locally for $50. One controller and 7 games. Not too bad.

At that time I didn't think much, but after I did a bit of research I found out that I'd just bought one of the worst models...the Goldstar.

I didn't have a stepdown transformer, so I bought one for $30. It showed up today, and when I got home from work, I was all excited to play my 3DO.

I powered it on, all good. Opened the disc drive, all good. Placed the game in the drive and it went back into the slot. However...the disc drive doesn't not spin or read the disc.

Massively disappointed.

So, I've come to 3DO forums to seek some help.

Does anyone know what I could do about a Goldstar 3DO that doesn't read/spin the discs?

Thanks.

-Jack

CJZEPP
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CJZEPP » Thu May 03, 2012 2:04 pm

Hey, I don't have a 3do yet, it's still being shipped, but my freind had a ps2 slim with a broken disc drive, it wouldn't read the disc because it wouldn't spin it. That has to be a problem with the motor itself. Try to see if there is something wrong with the motor and open up the system. DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING EXCEPT FOR THE MOTOR!!! If you can't find it try to find an expert in your town or near you who can proffesionally fix it.
That feeling where you look at your posts from 2-3 years ago when you first joined and realize how stupid you were.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu May 03, 2012 6:55 pm

Give it a little while and hopefully the regulars here can give you solid advice. as you aparently know, the goldstar is notorious... But maybe they can rescue it for you..

I personally have no experience with the goldstar, but if its anything like my sanyo, which is of similar design, you might want to take it apart and check ribbon cables and such.. At least while you wait for a better respons here.

Good luck with it, if worse comes to worst, try finding a panasonic model to replace it, either one would do you fine, just make sure it works before you actually buy it.

Good luck and welcome to the 3DO!

j4ck
3DO ZERO USER

Post by j4ck » Fri May 04, 2012 1:49 am

Thanks guys.

Any help would be awesome.

I don't really have a lot of electronic experience...

I'm trying to source a FZ1

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri May 04, 2012 4:46 am

This may sound like a silly question, but does it do it w/each game? I ask because I've found the Goldstar model is more problematic w/certain games. Also, in my own experience, sometimes it takes multiple attempts before the game will catch (if that makes any sense) Not a very technical post I admit (sorry) but might be worth a shot.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

j4ck
3DO ZERO USER

Post by j4ck » Fri May 04, 2012 7:13 am

I'll go through and try all the games tonight.

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Fri May 04, 2012 10:16 am

Most common problem on goldstars is the ribbon cable - see my thread on it. Goldstar did release an Aussie version - but you'll pay around $ 100 , nice buy though if only for the amount of games. Let me know if you run into problems.
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

j4ck
3DO ZERO USER

Post by j4ck » Fri May 04, 2012 11:51 am

Hey Matty.

Can you please give me a link to the thread?

Very interested to have a read.

I tried all my games and a music CD, but nothing even spins.

GuruMeditation

Post by GuruMeditation » Fri May 04, 2012 1:45 pm

j4ck wrote:Can you please give me a link to the thread?
http://3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1668

j4ck
3DO ZERO USER

Post by j4ck » Fri May 04, 2012 2:40 pm

Thanks.

I think I need to have a chat with Matty about it. I really know nothing about the 3DO...

ArfredHitchcacku
3DO ZERO USER

Re: My First 3DO...

Post by ArfredHitchcacku » Thu May 17, 2012 3:06 am

j4ck wrote:I'm from Australia, so you don't see too many 3DOs around.

I picked one up from a guy locally for $50. One controller and 7 games. Not too bad.

At that time I didn't think much, but after I did a bit of research I found out that I'd just bought one of the worst models...the Goldstar.

I didn't have a stepdown transformer, so I bought one for $30. It showed up today, and when I got home from work, I was all excited to play my 3DO.

I powered it on, all good. Opened the disc drive, all good. Placed the game in the drive and it went back into the slot. However...the disc drive doesn't not spin or read the disc.

Massively disappointed.

So, I've come to 3DO forums to seek some help.

Does anyone know what I could do about a Goldstar 3DO that doesn't read/spin the discs?

Thanks.

-Jack
Bah, I hate Goldstars. I mean, they're amazing and fun because it's a different 3DO with a different controller design, but my point is with many reports of some games lagging terribly on the system and of course the notorious disc reading quality I ONLY reccomend them to people who already have an FZ-1 and/or FZ-10. Of course they're cool but to beginners I highly reccomend an FZ-10, they're the most durable and easy to fix and is at the very least a good test to see how interested you are in collecting the inferior versions of the system. FZ-1 is more or less even but for me Goldstars and Sanyos are something for the far future.
BAD

-Alfred Hitchcock Presents, 3DO

j4ck
3DO ZERO USER

Post by j4ck » Sun May 20, 2012 12:55 pm

Well it looks like I'll be getting an FZ1 this week hopefully.

Might sell the Goldstar as parts seeing as I have no idea how to fix it!

I got 7 games with the original purchase, so it's not all bad.