Gun games on a projector

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Gun games on a projector

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:59 pm

Hello everyone, been a while since i was on here cause ive been so busy.

Ive just been playing some gun games on the projector, which works reasonably well. I have them all, but only tried Mad Dog 2, Last Bounty Hunter, and Drug Wars.

Drug Wars seemed to work the best, i had issues with the very bright scenes in the first level.

The projector is a RUNCO DTV 991, which is an NEC XG752 but RUNCO paint it black and give it a couple extra options. It is a CRT graphics grade multisync projector.

Does anyone here still play any of these games with a game gun?

prabmire
3DO ZERO USER

Post by prabmire » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:07 pm

Hey man,

Bit unrelated, you haven't posted on the saturn forum in agessss

Lol

Prab

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:12 pm

Nah mate, i dont bother, ive got better things to do than argue with them when they know it all, and i like it much better here anyway.

prabmire
3DO ZERO USER

Post by prabmire » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:48 pm

Haha, yeah there are a few guys like that but they've been banned now, its quite a good place to be :), but i play my 3do more then my saturn these days hence why i'm here :)

Prab

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:04 pm

Oh yeah, i dont even remember who or what i argued with. All i remember is thinking ive got better places to be!! My games collection is too big for me to ever play them all, so be damned if i want to waste time on forums where people want to be dick heads eh!! :lol:

Although i was interested in some competition on the Sega Rally thread, but when i posted there i got congratulated for opening up a 3 yr old thread... that was a f***en sticky!! :D

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:50 pm

I've got a game gun (which is the only way to play the ALG games imo, maybe w/a mouse too) For ALG gun games I have Mad Dog, Mad Dog II, Crime Patrol, Last Bounty Hunter, Space Pirates, & Who Shot Johnny Rock.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:46 pm

I've got the Game Gun and it's night and day when playing these games. They're actually FUN with the gun instead of tedious memorization tasks. I enjoyed the heck out of Mad Dog II when I played it for the first time with the gun a couple weeks back.

Now all I need is a CRT TV so I can play it anytime I want. Has anyone ever figured out a way to modify a light gun to work on new TVs or is that pretty much impossible?

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:45 pm

Those games are less frustrating with the mouse. :)

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:41 am

FrumpleOrz wrote: Has anyone ever figured out a way to modify a light gun to work on new TVs or is that pretty much impossible?
You need a CRT, cause it needs the scanning raster in order to know where you shoot.

The way the gun works is you point it ( obviously!! ) and when you pull the trigger, the screen will flash one frame full white, and when the gun sees this white ( in almost all cases it only sees the blue colour and ignores the red and green ) it tells the console it has seen the white, and the console can calculate where you are pointing the gun by knowing where it was up to in the refresh of the screen.

With digital displays, there is no scanning raster, so the instant you pull the trigger, the entire screen will flash straight away. The console will think one of two things, youre pointing the gun at the very top left corner, OR youre aimed off the screen.

You also need to be sure the CRT you do get will not adjust the 15.75kHz signal from the console, such as internal 100Hz scalers etc... The console is at 60Hz ( 50Hz for PAL consoles, but the Game Gun doesnt work on PAL 3DO consoles ) and if the TV molests this in any way, the console cant calculate the location of the shot accurately, cause the scan time is altered, in some cases lines are added, and it will result it totally inaccurate shooting.

With the PAL versions of the 3DO ( FZ-1-E, FZ-10-E for example ), the console still runs the games at their normal pace, and the console still works on the same output clock rate, however the video output is converted somewhere along the line from 60Hz into 50Hz. This results in the gun being quite inaccurate cause the console cant calculate the position youre aimed at properly.

Projectors are certainly not out of the question, cause there are loads of CRT projectors that will be bright enough for the job. Rear projection CRTs are very simular to CRT projectors, just with shorter versions of the same tubes ( and almost all tubes are made by Panasonic, even alot of the ones in Sony RPTVs ) Rear projection CRTs are typically brighter for this job due to a different screen type and size.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:41 pm

I still play with game guns but I do it on a WEGA. I big ol' CRT projector would probably look pretty good too for older systems like that.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:00 am

It does yes, depends on the grade of CRT projector, cause they all look WAY better if you can connect with RGB instead of just S-video. The 3DO looks pretty good with S-video anyway, but would love to see it RGB modded on my set up.

JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JohnnyDude » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:57 am

BryWI wrote:Those games are less frustrating with the mouse. :)
Yeah, and they'll work on any TV too. Sweet perk.

By the way, did you know the 3DO Developer SDK makes mention of 3D stereoscopic glasses? They sure were innovative.

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:06 am

JohnnyDude wrote:
By the way, did you know the 3DO Developer SDK makes mention of 3D stereoscopic glasses? They sure were innovative.
Nothing innovative about that, Sega had LCD shutter glasses out in 1987. And they are exceptionally good too.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:22 pm

Actually if I'm correct the Famicom 3D System came out in '87 and the SegaScope 3D came out in '88. But the Vectrex 3D Imager beat them both in '83.

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:27 am

Famicom version you show isnt full colour, and isnt LCD shutter. Sega Scope 3D is every bit as good as today's LCD shutter glasses packed in with most 3D TVs, just that they have a cord.

I have the Sega Scope 3D set here in a box with 1987 written on it, as well as a 2nd pair of unopened 3D glasses also with 1987 on the box. Thats 1987 enough for me :lol:

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:32 am

I didn't show the Famicom ones, I put up a pic of the Vectrex for fun's sake.

This is the Famicom 3D System, which are shutter glasses and work exactly the same as today's 3DTV glasses and SegaScope 3D:

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:42 am

Hmmm, so it is eh, how many of those have you see getting around? Ive never even heard of them!! :lol:

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:16 am

They aren't really uncommon. It's harder to find them in the box and I've seen two different kind of boxes.