4DO is out of beta!

4DO & Freedo, we have tried playing some 200 games on them - if you have a question we might be able to help!

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

4DO is out of beta!

Post by BryWI » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:30 pm

4DO is now out of beta and version 1.2.0.0 has been released!

Johnny has also made a lengthy post which is too big to copy and paste here, but I recommend that everyone should read it at the site!

http://www.fourdo.com/2012/04/02/4do-le ... eta-stage/

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:51 am

I shamefully admit that I didn't try a single one of the Beta releases. Just got caught up in other things, I guess. Sorry about that! I will definitely be checking it out now though.

*edit: Thanks for all your hard work on this, guys! Downloading now. :)

**double edit: Even while rendering a video in Sony Vegas, the emulator is still running smooth with minimal hiccups. Here's a screenshot of Total Eclipse in action! http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l277/ ... xample.jpg

Time to test some more games.. :)

JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JohnnyDude » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:51 am

Nosey ol' Johnny here noticed you're not completely full screen in that screenshot. Try F4 or Alt+Enter to run full screen.

Austin

Post by Austin » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:51 am

Thanks, I'll remember that for next time! :D

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:59 pm

http://www.fourdo.com/

4DO 1.2.0.1 Released!
Japanese game players rejoice!

Improvements:

1.Bios 2 Support Added. Viktor determined how to added support for the second bios slot, used in Japanese hardware for the Kanji font. This should enable support for several Japanese games that require it (one example being Blue Forest Monogatari). Awesome!

2.Daedalus Encounter timing fix added. This should alleviate many of the freezes encountered.

3.Screenshot Feature added. Press F3 to take screenshots to a “Screenshots” subfolder.

4.Russian translation fixes and improvements from both Viktor and Sedabi.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:36 pm

I'm definitely downloading this once I get my main computer up and running again.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:51 am

http://www.fourdo.com

4DO version 1.2.0.2 Released!
A few elusive core bugs fixed!

Improvements:

1. Daedalus Encounter freeze fix updated. Viktor did a lot of debugging, and eventually found and fixed a difficult core emulation bug that was causing the Scene 5 freeze! This also uncovered a fix to an issue in Pebble Beach Golf Links.

2. Samurai Shodown graphical issues fixed. Samurai Shodown was previously riddled with odd graphical issues, but no more! The characters render correctly, and the backgrounds are no longer black.

Both of these involve changes that are not specific to the games they were targeting. So, other games might be affected, but I haven’t spotted any differences in the handful of games I tried.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Tue May 01, 2012 11:14 pm

Johnny has released 4DO 1.2.0.3!

If you want to see an example of the new auto-crop feature, check out the site. I must say, it's a pretty nifty feature.
1. Auto-crop feature added. Tired of your 3DO games adding a black border around your game? Enable auto-crop in the display menu to allow 4DO to automatically detect and remove these borders! More details below

2. Sewer Shark and Night Trap were experiencing a startup issue in 1.2.0.2. this is now fixed.

3. Slam ‘n Jam 95 was crashing after the Samurai Shodown improvements in 1.2.0.2. This is now fixed.

4. 4DO now detects additional types of input devices. For example, a PS3 controller set up through MotionJoy now works as intended!

5. More French translation improvements from Benjamin Siskoo

6. More Chinese translation improvements from money

Behavioral and technical details of the autocrop feature are:

•Cropping will perform at most 25% on each side.

•The amount of cropping performed on each side is determined independently

•If the user has specified to preserve aspect ratio, crops may result in an aspect ratio different than native. This is automatically expanded to the available area. Thus, games that attempt to simulate widescreen can actually be played in the intended widescreen format. An example of this is apparent in the screenshots of Wing Commander III on the site.

•Auto-cropping will only increase the amount of screen cropping if the available cropping detected remains constant for 1 second.

•Cropping detects black and near black colors; colors within about 6% of black are also considered black.

•If the crop for any side is detected to have been too much for any side, it is immediately expanded appropriately; thus, non-black pixels are always made visible.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu May 03, 2012 1:33 am

The auto-crop is pretty cool on D. Now that I have a proper computer again I can enjoy the "high-def" mode, very nice.

I did find problems with Escape From Monster Manor. 1. The option menu is totally messed up. FreeDO also had this problem but it wasn't this bad. 2. the black levels are considerably off.

"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Thu May 03, 2012 5:10 am

I notice that the 4DO compatibility wiki does not have an entry for Escape from Monster Manor. I will try to add this tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up! Graphics oddities have been getting looked at recently and being fixed with nice results (examples: Samurai Shodown and Wing Commander III).

JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JohnnyDude » Thu May 03, 2012 8:39 pm

3DO Experience wrote:The auto-crop is pretty cool on D. Now that I have a proper computer again I can enjoy the "high-def" mode, very nice.

I did find problems with Escape From Monster Manor. 1. The option menu is totally messed up. FreeDO also had this problem but it wasn't this bad. 2. the black levels are considerably off.

Well, as it turns out, I broke then with the Samurai Shodown video fixes. You could try an older version of 4DO for now if necessary. I think 1.2.0.1 would still work.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu May 03, 2012 8:45 pm

Ah, I see there isn't one for CPU Bach either. I tried that last night and it wouldn't load at all but it may have been the iso. My laptop was dieing around the time I got the game so it may not have ripped correctly, I'll have to dig it out and try ripping it again this weekend. I'm not really a big emulator fan but I dare say this does a better job than the hardware. All those people who complained about the frame rate on Killing Time can have a smooth play now.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Thu May 03, 2012 11:40 pm

I just tested CPU Bach (U) and it is working for me so it might be your rip as you have stated. It does take a few seconds for it to load. It was about 15 to 20 seconds at most.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Sat May 05, 2012 3:05 am

Johnny has released 4DO version 1.3.0.0!

BIG HUGE THANKS to Viktor on this release!
Viktor worked long and hard to add support for Crash’n Burn, making it fully playable for the first time on any emulator! This is the result of a lot of difficult, meticulous debugging!

All Changes in this version:

1. Crash ‘n Burn support – See additional notes below.

2. The Advanced Settings’s ARM CPU Overclock option now allows users to increase it further, to clock speed up to 50Mhz (400%).

3. Russian translation improvements, also from Viktor.

4. Translation fix on settings screen for autocrop setting.

Crash ‘n Burn Details:

It’s no hoax! For the first time, you can now play Crash ‘n Burn on an emulator! If you had been eagerly awaiting this capability, send praises Viktor‘s way.

The fix is pretty complicated, so you may run into a few bugs. When selecting to start a race, sometimes the game will still reboot similar as it did before. Additionally, audio for video clips in racer selection screen sometimes improperly synced. However, the game itself is fully playable!

Sham66
3DO ZERO USER

GEX Black Screen

Post by Sham66 » Sat May 05, 2012 10:17 pm

Well don't know about anyone else, but I'm getting a black screen when trying to play GEX. All the menus and intros work fine, but when entering the first map the screen goes black. I still here music in the background though :?: I don't seem to have this problem when using Freedo.

I'm currently using 4DO version 1.3.0.0
I've also tried both bio sets (Panasonic and Goldstar) without any success.

P.S.
Escape from monster Manner also has a weird Menu glitch going on.
All of the main menu items are unreadable.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun May 06, 2012 12:34 am

I updated to 1.3.0.0, no problems with GEX here.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Mon May 07, 2012 1:52 am

Hmm... I don't remember posting this topic in the support forum... Someone moved it?

Also, I am getting the black screen with music when trying to enter the first level in Gex.

3DOExp, it is playing fine for you? That is odd if you are getting into the levels and others are not. I have to make sure this isn't some kind of 32/64bit issue.

EDIT: Well I am sure it's not a 32/64bit issue. I am sure it's just problems of the new core changes.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Mon May 07, 2012 4:18 am

4DO 1.3.0.1 Released!
1. Olympic Summer Games fixed – Olympic Summer Games now boots and is playable.

2. Crash ‘n Burn fixes isolated. Several games in 1.3.0.0 were crashing as a result of the game-specific changes. Viktor has modified the Crash ‘n Burn changes so that they are game-specific rather than system wide.
I tested Gex and MegaRace. Those games are working again.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue May 08, 2012 3:45 am

I don't know why GEX is not working for either of you, but since it's happening on more than one system something must be up. I wish there was a debug mode to output text. Maybe it has to do with the image? My Sector 0+1 Checksum is F73F7D08792C0CB1C6A55A0D53DAD5E6

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Tue May 08, 2012 9:49 pm

Yeah weird, my disc has the same 0+1 checksum. Oh well! At least it should now work for everyone. Also, it looks like the Escape From Monster Manor text will be back to normal in the next release.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu May 17, 2012 3:37 am

Oh I re-ripped CPU Bach and it runs just fine. Is there a way to keep 4DO running in the background? I'd like to have it make me some music while I'm using the computer.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Thu May 17, 2012 10:04 pm

I think this option used to be in the menu bar... I am going to have to double check I have the wiki updated correctly... but!

Go to Options> 4DO Settings... General Tab

Inactive window options, 1st option.

Uncheck "When the main window loses focus, pause emulation"

That should do it!

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri May 18, 2012 4:26 am

That did it! Great! TY!

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:47 pm

4DO 1.3.1.0 Released!
1. “hqx” Filters Added – Users can select hq2x, hq3x, or hq4x from the Display menu, or in the options screen.

2. Emulation “Health” Indicator added – This is to help users identify when they have settings that are too intensive for their PCs
I believe the Monster Manor text should be back to normal in this version too.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:38 am

Just read the full description, new goodies! I'll have to try it before I go to sleep.

AfterDark3DO

Post by AfterDark3DO » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:09 am

Wow, was not aware a new 3DO emulator was out there!.
Have tried FreeDO and had a good experience with it, will see what happens with this one. Will need to start downloading ISOS again!.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:59 pm

Yeah, it's a surprisingly excellent emulator. I downloaded it a few weeks ago and have been enjoying a few different games on it.

AfterDark3DO

Post by AfterDark3DO » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:29 am

Martin III wrote:Yeah, it's a surprisingly excellent emulator. I downloaded it a few weeks ago and have been enjoying a few different games on it.
Cool, thanks a lot man.
I will get it tonight along with a couple of images and start testing it.
Will most likely post my feedback here!.

EDIT -October-: have donwloaded both emulator and a couple of games (Gex, Way of the Warrior, Space Pirates, etc.) and must say the emulator is quite good!. It runs smoothly, graphics and sound make justice to the original console. A simple way of enjoying 3DO while trying to get the real thing!.

Austin

Post by Austin » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:30 pm

I loaded up Killing Time in 4DO the other day, and cranked the CPU speed up to 300%. It ran like butter! It was great.. Except that naturally the sound couldn't keep up and glitched out like crazy to the point where it was untolerable. It will be great when the day comes that I have a PC strong enough to play this game with a smooth framerate, along with matching sound to boot. Granted I am sure that would also mean having compatible sound hardware that can process it at just a few milliseconds, but I digress..

On a side note, I noticed that pushing the CPU speed up only makes things marginally different, depending on the game. For instance, I loaded up Ultraman, and while it ran silky smooth on the cutscenes and basic menu screens, there wasn't a huge difference in the actual fighting game portions.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:20 pm

On a game like KT, I wouldn't push it more than 150%. It is already very CPU intensive. You turn it up too much, it will start to be counter-productive, as you noticed with the sound.