My controller Port isn't working

Got a problem with your 3DO? Ask!
bulletbob
3DO ZERO USER

My controller Port isn't working

Post by bulletbob » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:05 am

Hello,
I recently pulled my fz10 out of my closet to play need for speed and gex, and the games load up fine but i can not use the controller at all.

I have several controllers 2 different panasonics 1 logitech 1 goldstar 1 sidekick, none of them work. Is there a capacitor in the 3do connected to the port that could have gone bad?

Should I try and re soldier the 9 pin to the board or get a port from a dead fz10 from my childhood? It does look like it has a sturdy connection and i can find no burns on the board.

I was even thinking of trashing a sega genesis extension cable and soldiering it to the board, I am at a loss. I miss my 3do, emus don't do it justice, all i can do is watch.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:20 am

Wow first your laser goes and now your controller port! Sorry to hear it, hopefully someone here knows what to do.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:27 am

Do you have any test/measurement equipment? DMM or oscilloscope?

The first thing to try would be to reflow the solder at the pins of the DB-9 port on the board.

bulletbob
3DO ZERO USER

Post by bulletbob » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:10 pm

I have a multimeter.
The dead 3do from my childhood used to at least turn on now it doesn't do that. I don't think its the laser as it still moves when placed in my newer 3do, its the turntable that doesn't move.

Thanks for the suggestion about re flowing the soldier I will try that today. I was up all night tracing the board looking for burns and oxidation, so far I have found none. I made the mistake of touching a pin on the port while it was on and the 3do reset.

Thanks again.

bulletbob
3DO ZERO USER

Post by bulletbob » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:24 am

Fixed. I did some tracing and i found some corrosion on the board that separated 2 of the connections. i soldiered 2 wires. woot it works.

Thanks for the tips
patience and persistence pays off.

now to figure out an rgb mod for an fz10. Does the a/v expansion on the back of the fz10 have any video out capabilities?

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:14 am

bulletbob wrote:Fixed. I did some tracing and i found some corrosion on the board that separated 2 of the connections. i soldiered 2 wires. woot it works.

Thanks for the tips
patience and persistence pays off.

I'm glad you got it working.

now to figure out an rgb mod for an fz10. Does the a/v expansion on the back of the fz10 have any video out capabilities?[/quote]

To get RGB you are going to need to tap into the DAC from within the console.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:37 pm

good for you man.