Oooohhh, SHINY!!

It does float! And doesn't get soggy in milk! :)

Moderator: a31chris

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Oooohhh, SHINY!!

Post by Austin » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:42 am

Behold... My white Jaguar! :D

Got my "dental" Jaguar housing in the mail today! Apparently another box of these was found a little while ago and I was able to finally snag one to save my "beater" Jaguar that's in horrible cosmetic shape.

All in all the process of switching the casing wasn't too bad. Because this was made for dental units, I had to sand down the power button area (it would get stuck), and I had to chop off two tiny front posts inside the housing and realign them to where they normally are on a stock Jag (otherwise, the motherboard at the controller port would wobble).

So far so good though! I spent about 45 minutes with Pinball Fantasies, with no problems. It works well, and it looks cool to boot! :)

More are still for sale in case anyone wants one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/110804896487

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:25 pm

That's actually pretty cool looking. How long from start to finish did it take you to swap out the shell?
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:41 am

It took me a few hours primarily because I didn't know what I was doing. And when I first moved the inner posts around, I didn't mix the proper compounds together so they didn't stick and I had to do it again (this is the first time I've messed around with something like this, so I guess you can say I'm a noob).

If I had to do it again, now that I know exactly what to do, probably have it done in ten minutes, not counting the 45 minutes or so for the compound on the mounting posts to dry and hold. :)

To give you an idea, there are only about four screws underneath the unit, and there are only four more screws holding the motherboard in place. So getting the Jag motherboard out isn't hard at all. It's laid out very nicely, actually, with the main PCB having a nice metal shielding around it. Less chance of messing anything up from static!

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:33 pm

That looks really snazzy! If I had more than one Jag I would do this.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:58 am

or I can paint an existing housing ANY colour :wink:
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:49 pm

Good to hear from you Matty.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:25 pm

Ah, I saw one of these shells at the Midwest Gaming Classic a couple weeks ago. I wondered at the time if it was from the dental units -- I guess it was! Very cool!

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:20 pm

yeah it's a bizarre use of the mold. I picked one up about a year ago for fun.