Robinson's Requiem-3DO or Jaguar version??...

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

dave4shmups
3DO ZERO USER

Robinson's Requiem-3DO or Jaguar version??...

Post by dave4shmups » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:41 am

I really want to get this game, but I'm wondering if I should get it for the 3DO or the Jaguar. The Jaguar version was done by Songbird Productions (http://songbird-productions.com/robreq.shtml).

The keypad on the Jaguar controller looks ideal for this type of game, but the 3DO, of course, has the mouse.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:42 am

Did you get a Jag cd?
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:14 am

Both versions of the game are really well done. I can say that I haven't played the 3DO version with the mouse though. Might add some ease to it in the end.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:25 am

A complete in box copy is probably going to cost you more on the 3DO than it will on the Jaguar, which may or may not be a concern.

I see Robinson's Requiem on Ebay for the Jaguar for $59.95.

In addition to costing more on the 3DO, it is also going to be more difficult to find a complete 3DO version.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:21 am

I agree w/bitrate, complete versions of Robinson's Req. for 3DO seem to be pretty rare (heck even loose copies aren't all that common)

The 3DO does come w/this nice booklet, which should be considered a must have imo ...

Honestly though, this would be your best bet ... a fraction of the price (the game isn't worth $60 bucks) & the sequel to boot ...

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/robinson ... collection
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

dave4shmups
3DO ZERO USER

Post by dave4shmups » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:13 pm

Trev wrote:I agree w/bitrate, complete versions of Robinson's Req. for 3DO seem to be pretty rare (heck even loose copies aren't all that common)

The 3DO does come w/this nice booklet, which should be considered a must have imo ...

Honestly though, this would be your best bet ... a fraction of the price (the game isn't worth $60 bucks) & the sequel to boot ...

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/robinson ... collection
I didn't know there was a sequel; thanks for that link! Yeah, someone on the Atariage told me that the Jag's keypad is "ideal"-even better then the PC!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:47 pm

Your welcome. From what I hear the sequel is less daunting than the original. Even though I already have Rob. Req.l for 3DO, I may go ahead and pick up that bundle just for the sequel.

Just to clarify also, while the 3DO does have a mouse this game doesn't suport it. The Jag may very well have a control advantage w/it's keypad, even if it lacks a proper overlay.

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:56 am

there is a store around my house that has a copy in long box. Not sure if the white booklet is included, but if anyone is looking for a boxed copy, I'd be happy to pick it up for someone if we arrange something

I did this for 3DO experience and the 3DO Secrets Book volume 2

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:52 am

awbacon wrote:there is a store around my house that has a copy in long box. Not sure if the white booklet is included, but if anyone is looking for a boxed copy, I'd be happy to pick it up for someone if we arrange something

I did this for 3DO experience and the 3DO Secrets Book volume 2
PM sent. I had a loose copy of this back in the day and liked it. Would be nice to have the game again.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:08 pm

Yeah, the book is sitting happily on the shelf next to the first one.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:45 pm

I'm going to stop in today on my way back home to check the price of the game / what's in the box. I'll reply once I find out

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:25 pm

awbacon wrote:I'm going to stop in today on my way back home to check the price of the game / what's in the box. I'll reply once I find out
Groovy! :wink:

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:56 am

^ response sent

If anyone is interested in this, it does include the original long box in 8/10 condition, and the white book that originally came in the box

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:26 am

I was gonna say something but deleted it from my post as I didn't want to butt in on Freeker. So since you brought it up if for some reason he doesn't want it I'm next in line.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Silentman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Silentman » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:48 am

awbacon wrote:^ response sent

If anyone is interested in this, it does include the original long box in 8/10 condition, and the white book that originally came in the box
So, response me then :-)

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:11 pm

3DO Experience wrote:I was gonna say something but deleted it from my post as I didn't want to butt in on Freeker. So since you brought it up if for some reason he doesn't want it I'm next in line.
message me. They have the game a bit overpriced in my opinion, but not sure what your threshold is considering the game is apparently pretty hard to find, especially in the original long box with the white booklet

and for anyone on here...I don't profit on doing this for people. When I sold 3DO experience the 3do secrets vol. 2 book, she (it is she, right? haha) paid the price + tax I did, plus shipping. Since I live 12 blocks from a retro game store that has a decent 3do inventory, if I don't buy it and someone else on here might be interested in it, I don't mind swinging in on my spare time and picking it up for someone.

Especially if they have a sealed Killing Time to trade me! haha

chadti99
SPAMMER

Post by chadti99 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:15 pm

I've got a complete copy up on ebay if anyone is interested, only asking a little more than I paid a year ago to cover ebay/paypal fees.

http://www.I-cant-read-the-rules-so-now-Im-banned.com

Great game if you have a little patience IMHO.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:41 am

chadti99 wrote:only asking a little more than I paid a year ago to cover evilbay/paypal fees.

http://www.I-cant-read-the-rules-so-now-Im-banned.com
You really paid close to $300 for this game?

Hound
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Hound » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:02 am

First post was a link to his own auction selling a 40-50 dollar game for 300. Yeah, if he paid 300 for it ever, he definately deserves to be out that 300 forever. Man, what is wrong with people recently? There seems to be a plague of stupid going around. It's like a game of 'let's see how much money I can throw at this random 3DO title!'.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:00 am

Haha, that was the post of the week, for sure. :lol:

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Re: Robinson's Requiem-3DO or Jaguar version??...

Post by a31chris » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:49 am

dave4shmups wrote:I really want to get this game, but I'm wondering if I should get it for the 3DO or the Jaguar. The Jaguar version was done by Songbird Productions (http://songbird-productions.com/robreq.shtml).

The keypad on the Jaguar controller looks ideal for this type of game, but the 3DO, of course, has the mouse.
Have RR for both PC and Jag and for me the Jag wins in the control department because the numeric pad can be used for navigation while the D-pad can be used for mouse movements. It is by far the coolest control setup of the two versions I have. Its way easier than the PC.

You probably already bought this for PC though...
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

MegaData
3DO ZERO USER

Post by MegaData » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:23 am

Looks like good points on the Jaguar version, but was this a completely finished game from Songbird Productions... and not buggy, like Skyhammer?
With meddlesome charm,
MegaData

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:52 am

MegaData wrote:Looks like good points on the Jaguar version, but was this a completely finished game from Songbird Productions... and not buggy, like Skyhammer?
Every now and then there will be read errors. It does not happen often at all for me. Just every now and then.

The only thing that was not put in was the automap showing what was discovered as you got there. It just shows the entire map completely revealed right out of the gate in the Jaguar version.
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

Gunstar
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Gunstar » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:06 am

I have both versions, and they are nearly identical, except for a few differences, like the map feature mentioned above in the Jag version, and the Jag version also shows a skyline in the background like the computer versions, were on the 3DO it's just grey. The 3DO version does have a nice fog-effect to hide landscape polygon "pop-up" better, were the Jag version the pop-up is more evident, but it's not a big deal in either case. However, I prefer the Jag version for one reason; control-with the 3DO you have to move with the mouse arrow over the movement icons on screen, but the Jag version allows the alternative of using the keypad buttons for movement, which I prefer becuase it frees up the arrow to be over weapons for instant attack. it just make the game a lot easier to control IMHO. Other than that, if you have a 3DO and Jaguar&CD combo, it may just come down to which version you can get for cheaper. The Jag version is $50 brand-new, the 3DO is whatever you can find it for on eBay or Amazon, etc.

As far as the read errors mention on the Jag version, I've had the exact thing happen to me just as often on the 3DO version. Both were made in close conjunction with the programmers of both versions sharing notes and so are nearly identical in most ways. The Jag version is finished. The white booklet is available in PDF from Songbirds website too. Though I just use the one that came with my 3DO copy... :mrgreen:
Trip WHOkins?!?
World's greatest 3DO Need for Speed racer [even 'X man' says so, digitally immortalized in the game...R.I.P.] http://3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopi ... ight=speed

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:57 am

There are little touches I noticed missing from the Jaguar version versus the 3do version. There are some sounds missing if I remember right from the Jag version if you watch the 'Darwin 5' videos from both versions. Its just little things.