3DO Collecting

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:22 am

oh you MVS folk are a whole other sub species...
lol

I haven't bought anything 3DO in years, but I have a ton of complete games. I considered many to be quite rare, but not anywhere near hundreds. The japanese and korean markets always intrigued me for 3DO, but it's not a direction I would want to go.

I think the more interesting untapped market is European 3DO titles. I see those much less than asian titles, and the packaging is cooler.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:39 am

sneth wrote:I considered many to be quite rare, but not anywhere near hundreds.
Well, as I have been saying, there are quite a few titles that sell consistently for a lot of money. If you have any Japanese 3DO games, or any of a couple of the rarest US games, your collection may be worth more than you think.
sneth wrote: I think the more interesting untapped market is European 3DO titles.
European 3DO titles are indeed interesting. Just keep in mind that there are only a couple of European exclusives. Almost everything released in Europe is a repackaging and/or PAL coded copy of North American titles.

sneth wrote: I see those much less than asian titles, and the packaging is cooler.

Depends on where you are looking.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:31 pm

My favorite thing about the Eur 3DO titles is that they come w/regular sized manuals. I hate that I can't store all my booklets in a cd binder because many of the instructions (though cool looking) are just too big.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:15 pm

I've found three-pocket plastic sheets (Ultra Pro Platinum Series) work well. I just cut slits in upper pockets so that tall manuals are held tightly. To make it so they don't slide into each other just put a dab of glue on the inside.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

pitsunami
3DO ZERO USER

Post by pitsunami » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:00 am

I have been dissapointed a lot of times during my years of 3do collecting due to prices!
I want to complete my collection and get ahold of the most obscure titles,
but i dont understand why i have to pay thousands to get a couple cds.
I would give the sum if it was for sth unique,but for a demo or a kiosk disk never!!

Its really frustrating to live in a country that almost never heard of 3do and have to import everything and for those prices!!! :(

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:08 am

right now seems like a prime time to get back into 3do collecting. Ebay is flooded with almost every title at decent prices. It's much better than a year ago. I occasionally browse "3do" just to see what comes up.

Either there is no demand, or the supply has gone up. I notice a lot more sealed titles so I'm guessing there was another dead stock find out there.

You can even get a Sanyo 3DO at any time. I used to think this was near prototype rarity 6-8yrs ago. Yahoo jp auctions or even ebay has em around about $125 boxed on a regular basis.

phatrat1982
3DO ZERO USER

Post by phatrat1982 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:39 am

this happens alot in used video games, the trend is usually right around the time a new console or platform comes along everyone starts trading in or selling off their unwanted stuff to get ready for the new. Nintendo just launched a new platform this year I imagine some of it could be people who are trying to get in on the newest thing. It is the best time to find ultra rare stuff because that is when people are more willing to let go of something cool because the temptation of owning the hottest item is sometimes stronger than the urge to hold onto something ultra cool but super rare. Not saying that is the only cause like you said sometimes people find old warehouses full of stuff too.

Silentman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Silentman » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:55 pm

I found information about prices for rarest and valuable 3DO games. Hope it helps somebody.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:07 pm

Yeah, I've read that piece before. It's pretty good, although there are a few that I know I've seen for much cheaper. Still a good read, thanks for posting. :)

I still regret trading away my copy of Mathemagics. :(
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:11 pm

Silentman wrote:I found information about prices for rarest and valuable 3DO games. Hope it helps somebody.

That list is pretty good, although the title is a little misleading. It should read: "The Rarest and Most Valuable US 3DO Games".

Japanese and Korean 3DO games extend well beyond what is on that list.

The list is also missing a few US releases, one of which I would say is as uncommon as Dinopark Tycoon.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:28 pm

bitrate wrote:
Japanese and Korean 3DO games extend well beyond what is on that list.

The list is also missing a few US releases, one of which I would say is as uncommon as Dinopark Tycoon.
I was thinking the same thing about imports, but I figured it's a hard thing to catalouge.

Uncommon as Dino Park Tycoon ...

Woody Woodpecker 2 & 3?

The Tom Kite mail-in only disc (forgot the name)

Decathlon

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:13 pm

Those are good guesses. In particular, the Tom Kite mail-in availability has really dried up in the last few years.

The title I was referring to though is the Panasonic R.E.A.L. 3DO Interactive Multiplayer Demonstration CD.

It shows up with less frequency than Dinopark Tycoon.

elitegamer
3DO ZERO USER

Post by elitegamer » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:32 am

I'm glad this thread got a bump because I've been considering opening a similar discussion that I would have entitled "Local Retailers". The focal point of this thread was to pose the question as to "how hard is it to find 3do related hardware/ software in your perspective area/ region?" Personally I've never purchased anything online. I'd much rather deal with a entity which is local/ tangible, it kinda provides a needed since of security (less hassle and all).

I know that limiting myself to this form of collecting habits innately places limitations on my collecting potential, but for some reason this is ok for me because I feel like, better safe then sorry. Plus I have a budget to keep in mind so I can't afford to bid on items on eBay, emotionally or financially! With all that in mind it feels like I'm doggie paddling in the shallow end and my 3do library is a great reflection of that.

Since 09' I've been able to find 3 games for the 3do that I could afford or was willing to pay for and even then I left one behind (Sherlock Holmes). In retrospect I should've got it, but what can I say except disinterest & ignorance got the best of me. Collecting anything rare or vintage poses the question of actual valve, in regards to purchasing. In my experience of dealing with buy back retailers. I can't help but feeling as though I'm being raped, as they never trade as some might suggest. Then they only offer you some percentage of a price that they themselves get from Amazon.com.

If I was 17 again looking to have and play the newest latest this wouldn't bother me as long as i figured out how to pay off the difference. But as a collector this is a totally different beast which i can't figure it how to defeat. So I mostly scavenge thrifts and yard sells to find stuff , but this creates such a randomness in terms of collecting. Finding mostly the common stuff that goes for cheap anywhere, therefore hardly worth the time and gas money expended going on these adventures (but still can be fun so i continue).

In terms of general collecting I've found it essential to establish "collecting standards" as some have previously mentioned. Being American and limited to only knowing Amer. English I've never gathered the point or need to get enthusiastic about games that id need an interpreter to play. Call it what you will but that's just me. As collectors we are all engaged in the sport fir different reasons . Personally i just want cool games at a good price. I don't think i can find any comfort in paying some of the going rates just to have a complete catalog collection ( per console). I'd much rather have and be comfortable with having a "complete " collection of games that i like to play!

Basically my collecting model is why own it? If your not going to play it! That being said i actually have a lot of games that i haven't played yet! But i really what to! Just haven't put do may favz yet. I have 8 console but only three ever get turned on and 3do is at the center of my collection. I know all this might not be adding up, but what can i say. I'm a gamer striving to be a collector. Unfortunately i don't have the resources to own everything I'd wish for, nor do I have time to play all that I do own.

At the end of the day knowing what you want a d understanding what you may have to go through to accomplish it are the main things to consider as a collector. Hopefully we as collectors will be able to rustler up the stuff that we desire the most.

ILUV3DO
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ILUV3DO » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:07 pm

This is a good question posed by Elitegamer. I think the likelihood of finding 3DO items may vary by region. I lived in California for many years and 3DO stuff was nearly impossible to find in stores. Everything had to come from Ebay. Recently, I moved to another region of the country and was surprised to find a vintage collecting scene alive and kicking. There are several different used game store chains in my area that sell 3DO stuff and I am constantly surprised to find 3DO items in stock. I have found that if I make the circuit once every 3 or so months, I am bound to end the pilgrimage with at least a few treasures.

The best part? Since I am probably the only person hitting up these stores for 3DO games, they pretty much just sit on the shelves until I show up. Also, 3DO is obscure enough that the staff who know all about the value of PSX, Super Nintendo and sometimes even Saturn and Neo-Geo rarities, know little to nothing about what is in demand in 3DO collecting circles so the prices are CHEAP! I just recently picked up a mint copy of Lemmings with a perfect box and manual for.... $12. Most average condition 3DO games sell here for around $3.

Nothing beats the thrill of the hunt, but the quantity of 3DO games are so scarce that I still do the majority of my collecting on ebay.

Wing Commander 3 goes in.... Headphones go on.... Lights go out.... Volume goes up.... It's 1996 all over again!
"Logic is the ultimate weapon!"

-Prowl (Autobot, Military Strategist)

ILUV3DO
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ILUV3DO » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:08 pm

Like Elitegamer, I collect by the mantra of why buy it if you're not going to play it. With a caveat... Employing a practice that is sure to revile most other hardcore collectors, when I buy a vintage game, I usually spend the extra money to purchase a sealed copy, then immediately open the game, play it and add it to the collection.

The biggest reason I collect is for the nostalgia factor. I miss being 16 and being able to walk down and spend my mcdonalds paycheck on a brand new 3DO game from Software etc., take it home and lose the night/summer to it. So a collection of sealed 3DO longboxes would not be any fun for me. However, I am a perfectionist when it comes to my collections, and a library of loose 3DO disks minus the boxes and manuals would not fulfill my nostalgia addiction.

So hopefully someday I will have a collection of pristine 3DO boxes with mint discs, open and waiting on my shelves to be played, looking just as they would have if I had been a much wealthier teenager than I was in 1996.

Because of my propensity for buying sealed vintage games then immediatley stripping away the majority of their innate value by removing the shrinkwrap, the local scene does not work very well for me, as it is EXTREMELY difficult to find 3DO items in good shape from used game stores.

Nevertheless, nothing beats the feeling of walking into a dusty vintage gaming store and scouring the towering stacks and nooks and crannies for hidden treasures. Sometimes you get lucky...
"Logic is the ultimate weapon!"

-Prowl (Autobot, Military Strategist)

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:57 am

I'd probably buy most of my old games from a store if that were an option for me. Sadly, the nearest independent game shop is more than an hour's drive from where I live. I'm stuck with Ebay. Or with online game shops, if I feel like paying an arm and a leg for common games.

Silentman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Silentman » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:34 am

Does anybody collect sealed 3DO games? I have a couple of questions about games saving.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:45 am

Silentman wrote:Does anybody collect sealed 3DO games? I have a couple of questions about games saving.
What are your questions? Not that I could help ... I can't wait to rip open a game the second I get it! :D

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:06 am

Silentman wrote:Does anybody collect sealed 3DO games? I have a couple of questions about games saving.

I do. What sort of questions do you have?

Silentman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Silentman » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:58 am

bitrate wrote: I do. What sort of questions do you have?
Do you use any protection cases or boxes for longboxes and jewel 3DO games? Did you try to use VGA cases?

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:16 pm

The best way to store sealed 3DO games is tightly together in a cardboard box in a very hot room.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:55 pm

3DO Experience wrote:The best way to store sealed 3DO games is tightly together in a cardboard box in a very hot room.
A very hot room? :?

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:43 pm

Sauna. With 20 to 30 half naked swedish people. You never read that?

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:02 pm

Trev wrote:
3DO Experience wrote:The best way to store sealed 3DO games is tightly together in a cardboard box in a very hot room.
A very hot room? :?
Yes, very hot. So hot you can barely stand it. Little known fact that it's good for the shrinkwrap, kinda like why I keep charcoal in my game room.

When the wrap crushes the box you've achieved the right temperature.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:08 am

3DOKid wrote:Sauna. With 20 to 30 half naked swedish people. You never read that?
:lol:

Seriously though, a hot room can't be good for the actual games themselves.

JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JohnnyDude » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:54 am

3DOKid wrote:Sauna. With 20 to 30 half naked swedish people. You never read that?
I've only been able to afford 15 of these. My games are looking a bit faded.

Hey, where's our 3DO trivia anyway? I want it I want it I want it!

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:49 am

Silentman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Silentman » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:40 pm

It's funny. Let's wait jokes from bitrate.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:43 pm

Silentman wrote: Do you use any protection cases or boxes for longboxes and jewel 3DO games? Did you try to use VGA cases?

No, I don't use anything like the VGA cases. I store the longboxes inside large boxes lined on the inside with acid free paper. These large storage boxes I got for free as they were just paper supply boxes that were going to be thrown away.
Jewel-case games are stored in aluminum music CD cases.

Everything is then put in a dark room with a relatively constant temperature.

Sunlight and large temperature differentials are two things to avoid if you can help it. Keeping the games hot or cold isn't necessarily bad as long as they don't swing back and forth between the two frequently.

I'm not knocking anyone who uses VGA here, I've just never used it myself.

Silentman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Silentman » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:35 pm

Don't want start new topic, so, here is my question.

Is this listing legit?
http://page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k151140857

I didn't saw 3DO console package like this. Does anyone knows about this 3DO's package?