Game reviews

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Game reviews

Post by Trev » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:01 pm

I just posted a game review and would like some feedback. Is anyone interested in these? I have several written from earleir that I could post if there is an interest. I have a few import reviews also. Is anyone else writing game reviews?

fish
3DO ZERO USER

game reviews

Post by fish » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:12 am

Yeh, I plan to review some games, I also have all the UK 3DO magazine reviews from issues 1 - 15. I know there was a website that used to list them, but I think it only covered up to issue 11.

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:20 am

The internet could use more 3DO reviews, so keep it up. I have a rather small collection, but since I'm not a die hard collector, I like to know what's good before I buy it! I'm mostly interested in whether games have stood the test of time. Sure, something may have been impressive back when it came out, but is it still fun?

Edit: Actually, I have a suggestion. Maybe the 3DO game reviews forum should be 3DO game and hardware reviews. I'm also interested in threads about the various hardware versions, different controllers, and accessories that are available. In fact, I'd love reviews of any of the non-Panasonic controllers.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:01 am

I don't think any of the Admins will ban people for reviewing hardware in the game review area :)

I don't have much hardware. I have a few consoles and VCD player but that is about it. I'd be interested in some points of view on things like the light gun and the mouse etc!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:53 am

I would pay a king's ransom for the last 2 issues of 3DO magazine (wanna sell, fish? :lol: ) I've always wanted to read their reviews on Luciene's Quest & Robinson's Requeim. Were they rated highly? What other info is in the last 2 issues?

fish
3DO ZERO USER

Post by fish » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:56 pm

Ohh I could never sell them, they're the holy grail for me, haha. They gave Lucienne's Quest a very favourable review with 4 stars, but stated that it was a little too easy and short to warrant 5 stars. Robinson's Requiem got a bit of a slating with 2 stars, I don't have that game, but they said the controls were awkward and that the gameplay was dull.
Issues 12 - 15 seem to pop up very infrequently on ebay, but if you keep your eyes peeled one will appear, I only recently got issue 15 from there.

Both the issues are pretty bare and ramble on about M2 with screenshots of potential games such D2, which are up on the net anyway. One of the most interesting little snippets was comfirmation of 3DO Decathalon's cancellation due to poor distribution opportunities and a lack of coders for the 3DO version of the game to rectify bugs.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:25 pm

Cool, thanks for the info. I continue to look on Ebay for these issues, as well as the 3DO Gold magazine. Can I ask how much you payed for issue 15? Last one I saw fetched pver $40 US! Also, does it have a guide for Robinson's Requeim? I have the game, but the controls are indeed somewhat awkward. A guide would be a big help.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:14 pm

Trev wrote:Cool, thanks for the info. I continue to look on Ebay for these issues, as well as the 3DO Gold magazine. Can I ask how much you payed for issue 15? Last one I saw fetched pver $40 US! Also, does it have a guide for Robinson's Requeim? I have the game, but the controls are indeed somewhat awkward. A guide would be a big help.

...awkward? That will go down in gaming history as the biggest understatement ever. For the record - I hated Robinson Requeim.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:49 pm

Ah yes, I read your thoughts of the game on your blog. Honestly, I have not spent enough time with it to form an accurate opinion, but I think it has potential. I really think you should play the game more than once :roll: before writing it off.

Devin
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Re: Game reviews

Post by Devin » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:06 am

Trev wrote:I just posted a game review and would like some feedback.
That's really excellent! I'd be happy to host any images or videos if you want to spice the reviews up a little bit? In fact I should make a 'sticky' topic about this in the reviews forum. Would anybody be interested in such a service?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:55 am

I'd love to have some screen shots to go with the reviews! :D I think they would make them more enjoyable.

fish
3DO ZERO USER

Post by fish » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:56 pm

Unfortunately there is no guide for Robinsons Requiem. The guides in issue 15 are Snowjob and Shockwave 2. The issue cost me just £9!!! Couldn't believe how lucky I was, as my max bid was set at £25. I think 3DO mag Gold issue is pretty easy to get hold of compared to the latter issues, one is bound to end up on ebay soon.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:52 pm

Trev wrote:Ah yes, I read your thoughts of the game on your blog. Honestly, I have not spent enough time with it to form an accurate opinion, but I think it has potential. I really think you should play the game more than once :roll: before writing it off.
Possibly. I think I gave the game a fair crack of the whip. It is devestatingly boring. I mean really boring. I readily admit to being an action game fan - and RR is about as far from that as you can get. To make matters worse, it was confusing, even with the manual.

My opinion is that a game is a two-way-street. I have to put effort in and so do the developers. If, having chored my way through a game, it hasn't hooked me, then whose fault is that? So I say - give 'em both barrels! :)

And, afterall, it's just an opinion. ;)

It may also represent another phenomia. Most of the games I get cost me a few pounds - practically nothing. Which means I'm less inclined to try with them. Now, I'm not making excuses, I standby what I said about RR, but I'm beginning to suspect that if I had paid £40 ($70) for a copy - there is every chance I would have stuck with it perhaps a wee bit longer!

3DO Kid.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:55 pm

I do kinda hear what you're saying. If I had as large a collection as you did (especially with all the interesting Japenese titles), I probably wouldn't be so patient with the game either. Maybe I'll post my own review of it here on the forum.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:04 pm

By the way ...
Most of the games I get cost me a few pounds - practically nothing.
Who is your source? I never get import games for cheap :x (unless they are the Japanese equivalent of US titles) Do you have any duplicate games for sale? :D

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:09 am

Trev wrote:By the way ...
Most of the games I get cost me a few pounds - practically nothing.
Who is your source? I never get import games for cheap :x (unless they are the Japanese equivalent of US titles) Do you have any duplicate games for sale? :D
Through some clever talking and slight of hand - my wife is Japanese. Her brother has a sixteen year old son who, foolishly, thinks I'm cool. Kids are stupid these days.

Anyway - I bribe him with British soccer memorabilia and he stalks Akihabara and a handful of other junk software stands around Tokyo. It's almost fair. I send him an autographed David Beckham shirt - he sends me 15 year old video games. A lot of 15 year old video games mind. He buys blindly i.e. Everything with a 3DO logo on it.

Every so often I get a parcel of Japanese 3DO games from him that he has gathered together. The biggest was 100 discs. Loads of duplicates and Japanese versions of PAL games but every so often he stumps up a winner! Actually, that's under-playing his efforts - he does a stirling job. He gets to stay with us in the UK from time-to-time. He's a nice kid.

I feel guilty asking him sometimes, exam times that sort of thing. The Japanese education system is pure evil. At which point I use my mother-in-laws address as a safe-house and then use Yahoo.co.jp I collect these when I go to Japan once or twice a year.

3DO kid.

PS: I can't sell the duplicates - i'd feel like a s**t when he comes over. However, I have other sources and I was thinking of doing something like that. Many of the games we think are rare - simple aren't. My other sources aren't as cheap - but I wouldn't look to make any profit. I'll lookin to it.

Devin
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by Devin » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:41 am

Trev wrote:I'd love to have some screen shots to go with the reviews! :D I think they would make them more enjoyable.
I'll cook up a process for submission of these resources. What we'll probably end up doing is to rely on user submissions of original 3DO material. Be it CD Covers, Boxart Scans and of course Screenshots. They'd have to be from the user and not stolen from some other website. Then I'd simply upload them and provide the relevant links in a Private Message so that it can be incorporated into your Reviews. Should be easy enough to setup.

... and 3DOKid, your an evil man. Poor kid! :roll: