The most difficult 3DO game is ...

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

The most difficult 3DO game is ...

Post by Trev » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:48 am

Space Hulk for me. I really wanna love this game, and part of me does ... the atmosphere, the incredible visuals, etc ... but I've never been able to make progress w/this one. I know its a good game, I mean you can just tell from the first few minutes ... but what keeps it in good territory for me and not great, is the simple fact that (for me atleast) the game is too darn hard! I've beaten a number of other 3DO games (and games in general) that I'd consider difficult, but I can't think of anything off hand that compares to Space Hulk.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:07 am

I can't comment too much on Space Hulk's difficulty. There's so much going on in that game I never progressed very far into it, and every time I go to play it I have to re-learn the game from scratch.

Right now I'd say the most difficult for me is Mazer. On that one anyway, it's more or less due to a broken gameplay system and shoddy controls thanks to the semi-poor framerate.

Next up I'd have to say is Shockwave (the first). It seems very difficult to be able to dodge much of anything in this game, especially by the time I get to the third level. Has anyone finished this, and can you provide any helpful tips?

Bladeforce is another that is tough, but I think that's more or less due to confusing level layouts and a lack of fuel canisters.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:13 am

Firewall is a tough one.

Austin

Post by Austin » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:13 am

Like any of us will ever know! :P :lol:

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:17 am

Actually, Firewall was dumped a long time ago, so it is available if you are into that kind of thing. 8)

Austin

Post by Austin » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:18 am

Oooohhh.. Well then! You all know where I'll be! ;)

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:34 am

Austin wrote:I can't comment too much on Space Hulk's difficulty. There's so much going on in that game I never progressed very far into it, and every time I go to play it I have to re-learn the game from scratch.
Actually, that comment pretty much says it all :wink: (same for me)
Austin wrote:Right now I'd say the most difficult for me is Mazer. On that one anyway, it's more or less due to a broken gameplay system and shoddy controls thanks to the semi-poor framerate.
I'd put Mazer fairly high on my list also
Austin wrote:Next up I'd have to say is Shockwave (the first). It seems very difficult to be able to dodge much of anything in this game, especially by the time I get to the third level. Has anyone finished this, and can you provide any helpful tips?
Not really. I think thats about as far as I've gotten too (you think its bad, try Operation Jumpgate) My helpful tip ... play Shockwave 2. :wink:
Austin wrote:Bladeforce is another that is tough, but I think that's more or less due to confusing level layouts and a lack of fuel canisters.
Bladeforce's levels are too big for their own good imho.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:35 am

bitrate wrote:Firewall is a tough one.
Can't even get past the 2nd level on this one ... :evil:

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:42 am

Trev wrote:
bitrate wrote:Firewall is a tough one.
Can't even get past the 2nd level on this one ... :evil:
I don't think anyone has. :lol:

Austin

Post by Austin » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:06 am

Trev wrote:Not really. I think thats about as far as I've gotten too (you think its bad, try Operation Jumpgate) My helpful tip ... play Shockwave 2. :wink:
Haha! I did, and it is much easier to play and survive. Part of this is due to being able to do a bit of a slide-strafe manuever, much like you can in Hoverstrike on the Jaguar.
Trev wrote:Bladeforce's levels are too big for their own good imho.
Agreed. They are very disorienting, too, and it feels like the map function isn't accurate either.

I actually received the 3DO GAMES SECRETS volume 2 book in the mail this past week. I was really looking forward to seeing the authors' tips on Bladeforce. Guess what? There's a whopping two pages of information (i.e., barely anything compared to the other games covered). All they really say is, "Collect these power-ups, use these missiles, and shoot from below the enemies", and that's it. My guess is they didn't make it very far, either (strangely, they managed to the end of Mazer though?!).

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:08 pm

I really enjoy the 3DO game secrets books, but their Blade Force section really is terrible ... not only is it just 2 pages, but like 75% of page 2 is empty! 1/2 a paragraph & a screenshot Even Zhadnost got 4 pages, and it's nothing but a party game!

As for Mazer, I'm guessing they used codes since they printed a whole page of them

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:37 pm

The later Turret levels of shockwave 2 kicked my ass.

pitsunami
3DO ZERO USER

Post by pitsunami » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:41 pm

I blurry remember to have almost finish bladeforce...
its a tough one but doable.

The most tough for me is space hulk as everyone said before
and deathkeep!

Both of them dont tolerate mistakes,so that makes them
pretty tough! :D

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:30 am

Johnny Bazookatone.

It's pathetic, and way to hard, and pathetic.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:22 am

Awww I love Bazookatone! And I love Space Hulk waaaay more! I can't even count how many times I've played it from beginning to end.

For me I've always found Creature Shock to be unbeatable. If it had lightgun or even mouse support it would be a breeze but using a controller is impossible for me.

That makes me think, I've never tried the joystick with it!
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:44 am

3DOKid wrote:Johnny Bazookatone.

It feels broken to me ... the collision detection is so out of whck, that you get hit even when you aren't touching an enemy. :x

JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JohnnyDude » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:52 am

Trev wrote:
3DOKid wrote:Johnny Bazookatone.

It feels broken to me ... the collision detection is so out of whck, that you get hit even when you aren't touching an enemy. :x
I had it too. It's lame. There's a charge up move too that was pretty much useless.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:30 am

I've been thinking about this and I'll go ahead and nominate Flying Nightmares also. It isn't a challenge in the sense of some of these other games mentioned, but it is just so complex that I just don't have the patience to learn how to play it as intended. I do have a measure of respect for the depth the game tries to present, but it's about as far removed from user friendly as you can get!