Ripping FMV's from 3DO Games?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

ArfredHitchcacku
3DO ZERO USER

Ripping FMV's from 3DO Games?

Post by ArfredHitchcacku » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:03 pm

OK, there's obviously a way one way or the other, I just wanted to know how complicated it is. I don't have advanced homebrew knowledge at all, but is there a relatively simple way to rip the files from the game image, in whatever format they may be in, and then convert them if necessary, and/or have a program that can view them? That's how I imagine the simplest method would be, if a simple method even exists. I have "Isobuster" by the way.

Thanks a lot,

Arfreda Hitchcacko Desu.
BAD

-Alfred Hitchcock Presents, 3DO

JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JohnnyDude » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:58 am

Well I can tell you what I know, but it's not a full picture of what you'd need.

I know that the movies in 3DO games are typically files. You should be able to traverse the file system of a 3DO cd somehow. I found an application that would do this at one point (is that what Isobuster is?), but you could also use "unCD-ROM", as explained by dudes at Ur-Quan masters.

http://wiki.uqm.stack.nl/The_Ur-Quan_Ma ... he_game.3F

I don't know a whole lot from there. I don't know the file extensions, for starters. I also am unsure of their format or how you might convert them. The fact that you can apparently play the 3DO movies in the Ur-Quan masters port, though, seems to indicate that someone has figured it out. I kinda doubt the 3DO guys made a completely proprietary format.

ArfredHitchcacku
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ArfredHitchcacku » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:13 am

It didn't seem to make a "duckart" folder with a bin/cue image I found, so I'll try making a stand-alone ISO with the original game later. Thanks!
BAD

-Alfred Hitchcock Presents, 3DO

ewhac
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ewhac » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:43 am

JohnnyDude wrote:You should be able to traverse the file system of a 3DO cd somehow.
There's a Linux filesystem module called OperaFS. Unfortunately, the latest available version doesn't compile on the 3.0 and 3.2 kernel series. I tried mucking with it for a grand total of 20 minutes, but didn't really get anywhere. I may have to read actual code...
I don't know a whole lot from there. I don't know the file extensions, for starters.
That won't really tell you anything on a 3DO disc (file extensions are so CP/M). Like Linux/UNIX, the name of a file has nothing to do with what's inside it.
I kinda doubt the 3DO guys made a completely proprietary format.
...Yeah, actually, they kinda did. QuickTime was little more than a Mac-only parlor trick at that time, so some 3DO guys put together something called DataStreaming, which got used by a number of early titles.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:48 am

Sounds like the best way would be to run the game up in (the fabulous) 4DO and record the movies using VLC or Camstudio.

Jones
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Jones » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:19 pm

JohnnyDude wrote: I kinda doubt the 3DO guys made a completely proprietary format.
I thought the 3DO used "Cinepak"...?
Not sure though.