WWP and...

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

ATARI5200
3DO ZERO USER

WWP and...

Post by ATARI5200 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:29 pm

Question concerning video/graphic display of the 3do w/o the mpeg adapter... Example woody woodpecker series, batman and two stupid dogs demo. How are these programs able to be played w/o the mpeg adapter? I hav search the web for answers and were unable to find one, so I thought it would be best to seek the 3do-godds wisdom.

I'm really interested in creating my own original vcd/cd+g style compatible disc. Can anyone help me out with this procedure?

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:17 pm

for playing VCDs you will need the mpeg add-on to play them, and i think the codec used for other things like WWP was called cinepak

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinepak

i never messed around with any of that so thats all the info i can give
good luck
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

ATARI5200
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ATARI5200 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:23 pm

I appreciate the info! I do recall seeing the cinepack info on the cover art, gives me another ave to research. Hope it leads to something useful. The link to your collection didn't open... maybe its broken or whatever, thanks!

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:36 pm

thanks for the heads up on the link.
it looks like they are moving providers, and i havent looked at the link in over 3 months so my account might be deleted anyway, cant wait to find out .. lol
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:52 am

I always thought it had to do w/the length of the program (I could be totally wrong though). Being cartoons, they were short enough to play w/o the additional hardware unit (another example would be Toon Time in the Classroom)
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:06 am

*edit, nevermind.

GuruMeditation

Post by GuruMeditation » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:37 pm

Trev wrote:Being cartoons, they were short enough to play w/o the additional hardware unit
Maybe the FPS rather the length? If I remember correctly, an NTSC cartoon is/was typically 15fps, rather than 30fps for regular TV. :?:

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:36 pm

Compression is also realllly simple to do on cartoons. The solid areas of color and be compressed and decompressed very easily.

ATARI5200
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ATARI5200 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:55 am

So are you guys saying that creating a cartoon video disc, written to a cd-r is fairly easy? If so will someone share the details of the process with me?

ATARI5200
3DO ZERO USER

"UPDATE" Cd+g/mpeg no adapter

Post by ATARI5200 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:42 am

...“Google’s your friend” and I hope to befriend the 3DO Zone community as well. Recently I posted an inquiry as to creating VCD authored and compatible with our beloved 3DO systems. One hundred and twenty something people viewed this inquiry, while only like eight felt compelled to reply.

Then I found a similar question already posted and felt that there are “actually more” interested parties to this possibility.

Subsequently, I found this video “atari jag cinepak tutorial” created by RubixDude 6. The video is avail. via Youtube. This video renewed my anticipation in creating my own VCD’s, playable w/o an adapter. If “Jag” head can do it... So thus, We Shall To!

Anyone interested in attempting to assist, feel free to. Check out the aforementioned vid, Check out 3do’s hardware specs and giv it a whirl. I’ll post any relative info... Later :)

ATARI5200
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ATARI5200 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:12 am

Since my last post, I've been conducting a lot of research in an effort to finding a resolution to the "playable VCD" w/o a VCD adapter.

At this point my thoughts are thus. As with other disc based consoles, creating a bootable vcd is a matter of acquiring the right QT program as well as compiling a list for video and audio specs to which the final disc will be authored.

As I've stated, I'm working on it... following mostly the tutorial supplied by rubixdude6. Unfortunately, I'm not able to find QT Pro v. 6 or 7. I have a mac with QT 7, but it doesn't offer a cinepak compression pak. If anyone has a suggestion, reference, link or otherwise. This would be greatly appreciated.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:34 pm

I know you said 6 or 7 but I do have QT Pro v. 5 for Windows. PM me if it will help.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

ATARI5200
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ATARI5200 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:48 pm

Definitely wil :D but asI stated i'm piggy bac'n of and hav lil' experience w/ the hole process and procedure.

The software that you have, is it bundled w/ cinepak? Jus wondering as this is the codec that Universal used for the famed WWP series, which got me interested n this mess n the first place.

I figure Cinepak plus the right settings, equals VCD playback w/o the adapter!

GuruMeditation

Post by GuruMeditation » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:19 pm

I'm 99% sure you'll need to write/build a disc containing 3DO code to play the video. Once you've created a Cinepak video file, you still need to get the 3DO to actually play it.

Unless I missed something?

ATARI5200
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ATARI5200 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:34 pm

I think ur right Guru, at least as far as understand from my research.

Finding a cinepak encoding program has been a task n it's self, I figured once I found that then I would focus on the factor u mentioned. In theory, I figured that the 3do boot files could be extracted from an existing 3do title like wwp then writing into the compressed vid file. Is this an accurate assumption?

With all the xperience some of the forum members have w/ extracting files .aiff, .raw or whateva, I figured this to b this easiest method (I could be wrong, but I hope not!).

As backwards as this desire is! I've spied n on other forums where similar convo. 4 jag and sega cd. The users of these forums have unlock'd the process for those consoles, so I'm certain it can b done for 3do. Can't wait to see myself on screen via my 3do :)

GuruMeditation

Post by GuruMeditation » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:50 pm

Swapping out the video file from an existing disc is definitely worth a shot. I've never created a 3DO CD myself, only extracted files, so I'm not sure how simple (or difficult) it would be. I'm sure some of the guys on here with Dev Kit experience could advise, though.

For the actual video encoding, you might want to try MEncoder under Linux. I bet you've seen this forum post already, but just in case...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1709506

ATARI5200
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ATARI5200 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:12 pm

just check'd the link u provided. I'm unfamiliar w/ linux, so it only further complicates things for me at this point. I will however keep it n mind, I appreciate the gesture nevertheless.