Importing a Japanese 3DO FZ-10 to Europe

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

MeneGx
3DO ZERO USER

Importing a Japanese 3DO FZ-10 to Europe

Post by MeneGx » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:24 am

I'm about to order a 3DO FZ-10 from Japan as it seems to be the cheapest and easiest option for me (and it plays some games that PAL/NTSC consoles dont play, should I ever want to do that), but after doing some research, I came across some mixed information so I'm not quite sure what to believe.

So I'd appreciate if some one with more knowledge of the system could answer my questions (I tried to search these forums but no luck so far)

1. Will a Japanese 3DO work on a modern PAL TV? I get the 50hz/60hz option in some games like Super Dragon Ball Z and Shadow of the Colossus. It's pretty new (2009 or 2010) and it has an built-in digital reciever.

I need a device that converts the 230 volts that I get from the electrical outlet into 100 volts, and a converter that allows the usage of japanese plugs on an european electric socket?

2. Do European and American games have japanese text if I play them on a Japanese console?

3. As the console has an internal memory instead of memory cards, is there some kind of graphical user interface where you can delete your old save files, just like the Playstation 1 had? If it has something like that, is there a way to change the system into English? Or are the menus simple enough to be used with out any knowledge of Japanese? If it's like PS1, then it shouldnt be a problem. Only 2 choiches; play CD and memory card. And most importantly the save files had their own little game icons. So if it's as simple as that, it should be ok aslong as you know the japanese kanji for "delete".

I have no previous experience from importing game consoles and I've just started game collecting/retro gaming, so I'm sorry if I'm asking stupid questions or if the terminology that I'm using is incorrect. Oh and I'm in Scandinavia, not in the UK, so we've got different plugs I think.

boabject78
3DO ZERO USER

Post by boabject78 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:15 am

So long as you have tested other import consoles on your TV it should work fine its only the really old sets that cant display NTSC in colour and I think its safe to say that all the HD tvs display NTSC no problem.

You'll need a step down transformer, that you plug the 3DO into, that converts your local voltage to 100 volts so I would ask at your local electronics store as they will have or know where to get them.

I dont own a FZ-10 but I'm positive the memory manager is built in and yes its just like the playstation. The GUI is easy to figure out dont worry. An external memory unit is available for the console so you should keep an eye out for one on your collectors quest.

3DO games are in their region's native language, PAL games will still be in English, Jap games in Japanese etc. So playing PAL Road Rash on the Jap FZ-10 makes no difference than to playing it on the PAL or US system. The Jap console will play games full screen and full speed unlike the PAL.

boabject78
3DO ZERO USER

Post by boabject78 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:26 am

When I say it just like the Playstation the 3DO memory manager is more of a list of game saves rather than a block of icons. I dont think the 3DO has any system options, like change language so its time to learn some Japanese my friend.

MeneGx
3DO ZERO USER

Post by MeneGx » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:48 pm

boabject78 wrote: I dont own a FZ-10 but I'm positive the memory manager is built in and yes its just like the playstation. The GUI is easy to figure out dont worry. An external memory unit is available for the console so you should keep an eye out for one on your collectors quest.
boabject78 wrote:When I say it just like the Playstation the 3DO memory manager is more of a list of game saves rather than a block of icons. I dont think the 3DO has any system options, like change language so its time to learn some Japanese my friend.
Thanks for the quick reply!

Is there perhaps an online guide for handling the japanese menus?

http://www.gameforfun.com/en/product.as ... ct_id=4077
That external memory unit looks a bit pricy... in fact it costs almost 3 times the amount I'll be paying for the console itself. It's funny how many peripherials and rare games cost more than the actual console that they were made for.
I guess I might buy one later once my console and game collection is more complete. I'm mainly intrested in certain types of games when it comes to the 3DO, not in owning a complete library. Can you give an estimate of how many games you can save to your console before you run out of space? Are there any third party memory units available?

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:52 pm

MeneGx wrote:Can you give an estimate of how many games you can save to your console before you run out of space? Are there any third party memory units available?
It is really varied among games. Some games take a decent chunk while others barely take any. If you can get a Game Guru disc, you can compress save files, but they are unusable until you uncompress them again. I have not actually used the memory unit, but I remember hearing that games can't be saved directly to it. They have to be moved over to the memory unit or something. I may be wrong on this though. I know someone here will know more about it than I.

And I believe that is the only memory unit available.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:54 am

Im fairly confident you indeed have to move your save files to the external memory unit, i have one but i have not used it in a looong time.. Its pretty simple though as the unit has enough of english to understand the instructions. Yes, these things tend to be abit expensive, but they seem to have dropped in price. I bought mine unboxed for about $150 with the cd 6-7 years ago. Now ive seen CIB for about the same.

I also actually secured a RGB modded japanese FZ-10, and im curious, is the internal memory manager easily understood, as it is in the external memory unit? Ive been trying to find pics or video on the net with no luck. I mean ill figure it out once it gets here, but since that wont be untill after christmas, im anxious to know..