Games from ALG

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Silentman
3DO ZERO USER

Games from ALG

Post by Silentman » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:39 am

I'm sure that all of you know, that American Laser Games released 8 games only in US. Some of these games are pretty good (Mad Dog series, Who shot Johnny Rock) for that time. Why they hadn't released games in Japan and Europe?

Even DP and Virgin released their Corpse Killer and Demolition Man in Japan while ALG gun was released only in US.

Gunstar
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Gunstar » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:58 am

These are educated guesses from decades of experiencing video game markets:

Publishers watch trends and some types of games sell better in some parts of the world than others, and right or wrong, ALG figured sales would be poor outside the U.S. becuase those foreign markets aren't profitable for FMV/lightgun games.

Corpse Killer and Demolition man may not have sold well in Japan and ALG noticed. Though that depends on the release dates of all these games in the different markets.

Maybe they just weren't a big enough company to handle international publishing, distribution and sales and weren't successful in making a deal with a Japanese company to help.
Trip WHOkins?!?
World's greatest 3DO Need for Speed racer [even 'X man' says so, digitally immortalized in the game...R.I.P.] http://3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopi ... ight=speed

Silentman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Silentman » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:39 am

I think we could ask bitrate to tell us about prototypes of ALG games for European and Japan region.

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:10 am

there is a reason live action disappeared.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:20 am

Silentman wrote:I think we could ask bitrate to tell us about prototypes of ALG games for European and Japan region.

I don't think I have any proto ALG games for those markets. I'm not sure any ever existed either.
Off the top of my head, I don't recall seeing any advertisements for these types of titles in any of the Japanese literature/magazines of the time. If something like this had been planned it definitely would have made its way into some of the numerous Japanese 3DO magazines.

I'll have to take another look.

Silanda
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Silanda » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:59 pm

It's possible that they didn't consider the European market big enough to be worth revising the games and the gun to be PAL compatible. That said I seem to recall seeing some of their games in UK shops, although I must admit my memory is a little hazy.

Mobius

Re: Games from ALG

Post by Mobius » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:57 am

Silentman wrote:I'm sure that all of you know, that American Laser Games released 8 games only in US. Some of these games are pretty good (Mad Dog series, Who shot Johnny Rock) for that time. Why they hadn't released games in Japan and Europe?

Even DP and Virgin released their Corpse Killer and Demolition Man in Japan while ALG gun was released only in US.

Because they're AMERICAN Laser Games. Duh.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Re: Games from ALG

Post by Trev » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:36 am

Mobius wrote:
Because they're AMERICAN Laser Games. Duh.
:lol:
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:20 pm

I would love to play ALG games with a Light Gun. :) Mad Dog is a classic. :)

(i had the poor judgement to be born in the UK though :) )

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:12 pm

3DOKid wrote:I would love to play ALG games with a Light Gun. :) Mad Dog is a classic. :)
Maybe in the arcades (or on CD-i) But the 3DO port of Mad Dog is absolute garbage on multiple levels.

Space Pirates is my fav ALG game.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:56 am

I think you need an Australian 3do kid - 240v and NTSC
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:57 pm

:shock: Corpse Killer was released in Japan?

I guess that might provide part of the answer to the topic question, though... Corpse Killer on the Saturn was released only in the USA, so apparently Digital Pictures had learned that games of that sort don't do well in Japan. American Laser Games just realized this ahead of time. :wink:

Seriously, probably the real reason is just that ALG didn't have a Japanese division to publish the games and Gamegun in Japan. Digital Pictures didn't have a Japanese division either, but I suspect (and GameFAQs confirms) that Digital Pictures weren't the ones responsible for publishing Corpse Killer in Japan.

Silentman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Silentman » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:19 pm

Martin III wrote::shock: Corpse Killer was released in Japan?

I guess that might provide part of the answer to the topic question, though... Corpse Killer on the Saturn was released only in the USA, so apparently Digital Pictures had learned that games of that sort don't do well in Japan. American Laser Games just realized this ahead of time. :wink:

Seriously, probably the real reason is just that ALG didn't have a Japanese division to publish the games and Gamegun in Japan. Digital Pictures didn't have a Japanese division either, but I suspect (and GameFAQs confirms) that Digital Pictures weren't the ones responsible for publishing Corpse Killer in Japan.
After short investigation I think that DP planned to release Corpse Killer, but couldn't do it, like it happened with Doom.
Looking for sealed and rare 3DO games and stuff. Just PM me about what you have to offer.