Need for Speed Scoring

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Need for Speed Scoring

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:53 am

Anyone know how the scoring works in the Need for Speed?

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:25 am

YES!!!!

Wait....No.

Sorry, 'kid.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:01 am

Ban request: Article 4, Subsection 2.11: Falsely raising the hopes of an admin team member.

Austin

Post by Austin » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:06 am

G** dam* * 3DO***, don'* m*k* me b*** o** the N*** fo* Sp***.

(Actually, truth be told, I don't own this anymore. Although this can be remedied pretty quickly)

*double-edit: My name is ****-ratt or *****ing. ;D

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:24 pm

I've been playing this every day for a week. :)

It's shocking how addictive this awesome driving game is ;)

Every. Day.

Austin

Post by Austin » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:02 pm

Haha, what the hell was I thinking with that last post. I don't even know what it's supposed to mean. I was probably poking fun at old members that made threads that made absolutely no sense.

Sheesh, I need to stop posting while drunk, especially when it gets to the point where I don't even remember posting..

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:25 am

I played this game almost non stop on release for as much as 10 hours at a time - and the scoring confused me just as much then as now. I even tried writing down on a pad each time in a vain attempt to figure it out but there were too many variables. I deducted that points were based on average speed,accidents,time,car,difficulty,course,top speed, distance between you and x man at finish and so on. Far too many variables. I remember my top score was 40115 - but have no bloody idea what made it different to any other run!
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:24 pm

I was actually playing it for a little while a couple of weeks ago.. I couldnt even change cars.. I guess i should read the manual eh?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Re: Need for Speed Scoring

Post by Trev » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:08 pm

3DOKid wrote:Anyone know how the scoring works in the Need for Speed?
If I remember correctly, I think Gunstar might know ...
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:09 pm

Trev wrote: If I remember correctly, I think Gunstar might know ...

LOL. I remember those threads. He really got under the skin of that one guy (can't remember who it was - have to look the thread up).

Despite having played this game for more accumulated time than probably any other game in my life, and despite it being my favorite game of all, I don't know either.

We need to take a look at the source code.

Versus

Post by Versus » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:05 am

We need to take a look at the source code.
How we can do this? Any thoughts? May be disassemble the Launchme file?

Gunstar
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Gunstar » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:52 am

Hey guys! Sounds like I'm needed here. Yeah, some guy was claiming to be the best in the world at NFS on the 3DO and I had to prove him wrong. I am. And willing to prove it anytime. I'll literally blow anyone away. 15 years of playing the game while not everyday, probably could average it out to a few hours per day. And if you don't play pro mode with manual shifting you can never come remotely close to my times. Automatic is far too slow.

As to the scoring, ever heard of a couple of games (DC and XBOX) called Metropolis Street Racer and Project Gotham Racing? Remember a scoring system known as "kudos?" It's not how fast you drive, but how well you drive fast. This is how the scoring on 3DO NSF works too. You just don't see the scoring on screen like MSR and PGR. But Pioneer Production's NSF pioneered it. The more cops you outrun, the more fish-tales and powerslides and spin-out recoveries, the more close calls and weaving through the traffic, this all adds to the score. The fact is, if you are racing for the best time, you aren't going to score as highly as if you are driving on the edge and taking chances. :twisted:
Trip WHOkins?!?
World's greatest 3DO Need for Speed racer [even 'X man' says so, digitally immortalized in the game...R.I.P.] http://3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopi ... ight=speed

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:19 am

Oh great gunstar's back - all we need now is Lightning & Preecha......

How about recording your run and submit it to Mr. Day. Twin Galaxies needs at least one 3DO high score on its books - or are you too chicken? You've never revealed your highest score.
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

Gunstar
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Gunstar » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:25 pm

All my times are well documented with photos right on this site. Go find them. As for High Scores, no I don't recall posting those. I guess I could, but I've never played actually trying to get the highest score, just the best times. If anyone can beat the times I have posted, I've beaten them myself and can post better times or try again.
I Don't really care about twin galaxies or whatever, maybe if there were a challenger there already. The last time, the reason my times are already posted on the site, I posted all mine first and no one ever posted theirs becuase they couldn't compete. This time, if someone wants to post their NSF times and speeds I'll then be more than happy to repost or redo my to eclipse them.

I'm really a nice, pretty humble guy most of the time, I have my opinions but will admit when I'm wrong. But in this one thing, NSF, I know I am the best until some one proves me wrong so I am arrogant, about this one thing.
Trip WHOkins?!?
World's greatest 3DO Need for Speed racer [even 'X man' says so, digitally immortalized in the game...R.I.P.] http://3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopi ... ight=speed

Thunder
Nibbler

Post by Thunder » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:55 pm

I'm the best NFS player.
I break for bannings.

Gunstar
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Gunstar » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:47 am

Thunder wrote:I'm the best NFS player.
Then show your times... http://3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopi ... ight=speed
Trip WHOkins?!?

Versus

Post by Versus » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:29 am

Check your scores after trying my speedhack. :lol:
http://depositfiles.com/files/sbb2zjyhg
ISO is playable on the console.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:05 pm

Posting disc images is a bannable offense. However this being a modded image it won't earn you and instant ban. This will be discussed with another administrator to decide if we should allow the link. If you can make an IPS or executable that can mod an ISO we would be overjoyed.

Do not worry you are not in trouble as this matter has never came up and is definitely in the grey.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Austin

Post by Austin » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:52 am

If it's a custom ISO, why not make a video of it instead?

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:29 pm

The link is back. It is alright to post links to modified images.

Sorry I had to alter the link for a few hours but I really was unsure as to how it should be handled. I'm glad people are taking the initiative to do things like this. Now if only I could get a mouse compatible edit of HELL....

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:14 pm

It really should be a IPS patch or similar to the original image. If this starts floating around unamed, it will start getting passed around as the original game eventualy. Also, as long as it contains any amount of the original game in the disc image, it is still a copyright infringement. That is the very reason that translations and hacks are released as patches.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:52 pm

Well the thing is patches don't always like to work. I've tried making plenty and I've only gotten a few to work. (like the Horde fix) His bannerscreen is different than the original and even says "speed hack" on it so you know it's not the original and how it differs.

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:59 am

The best i have on the console i have here is 41,312... Diablo, Coastal track...

Wouldnt mind being able to get the other FZ-10 working so could see what my old high score was, also done with Diablo, and on Coastal track...

Versus

Post by Versus » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:27 pm

CasetheCorvetteman, and what about time corresponding this score?

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:28 am

How can i find that out now? I didnt take the photo when i did the score. I think youll find time taken has not got a whole lot to do with the best score either, cause i can EASILY get a better time on the Coastal 2 and 3 and a better total Coastal in the 512TR, but the score is still way down.

I do know the top speed reached on Coastal on this machine is 202.7 MPH, and i did 202.8 in the City.

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:39 pm

Someone needs to get Gunstar back here....

The man that beat the self proclaimed "best in the world" at The Need For Speed...

Versus

Post by Versus » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:48 pm

How can you reach this scores? :shock:

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:17 am

By driving very fast and not making errors, ive cracked 50,000 before with the Diablo on Coastal, but its hard to make a perfect run in that car due to it feeling a bit wider on the road.
The man that beat the self proclaimed "best in the world" at The Need For Speed...

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:56 am

What should i go for? Best time or best score?
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:18 pm

ok with the Honda I am going to go for score this round. See what happens.
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman