Worst pack-in game(s) ever

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Worst pack-in game(s) ever

Post by Trev » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:11 am

Launch game(s) only (ex - for Genesis Altered beast & not Lion King or some later release) Oh, and consoles only (no hand helds)

I'd have to go w/Pole Position II for the 7800. I mean, what was the point? How could they even hope to begin to compete w/the likes of Nintendo (and to a lesser extent, Sega) w/this moldy relic? :roll:

Runners up ... maybe Keith Courage for the TG-16. Forgetable generic side scroller.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Re: Worst pack-in game(s) ever

Post by Austin » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:21 am

Trev wrote:I'd have to go w/Pole Position II for the 7800. I mean, what was the point? How could they even hope to begin to compete w/the likes of Nintendo (and to a lesser extent, Sega) w/this moldy relic? :roll:
Don't forget that the 7800 was launched in '84 before being yanked from the shelves for various legal/rights reasons. It's pretty impressive for a game of that year, if you ask me.. Now, years later when Atari got all the BS figured out and they relaunched it, they could have certainly picked a better game.. or at least expanded on the cart and gave it a little more depth (a championship mode, perhaps)? Another thing to keep in mind that the NES wasn't the sensation in '86 that it would soon be, so Atari not packing in something else more noteworthy was a bit of a moot point considering most of the NES games at the time were the black-box titles, mostly arcade ports and simplistic exclusives (minus Zelda and SMB).

I agree on Keith Courage, btw. It's not a bad game, but a pack-in game should be great..

Cybermorph on the Jaguar was so-so.. Kind of like a Keith Courage if you ask me. It was kind of cool, but still lacking sorely in several spots.. It wasn't exactly a Mario World or anything like that.

This question is hard by the way.. A lot of systems didn't launch with any pack-in game.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Re: Worst pack-in game(s) ever

Post by Trev » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:12 pm

Austin wrote: This question is hard by the way.. A lot of systems didn't launch with any pack-in game.
I know it ... but shouldn't that make it actually easier since there is less to choose from? :wink: I figure it limits the nominees to the 8 & 16-bit generations w/early next gen sytems like 3DO & Jag rounding out the field. (oh, & Wii Sports)
Austin wrote:
Trev wrote:I'd have to go w/Pole Position II for the 7800. I mean, what was the point? How could they even hope to begin to compete w/the likes of Nintendo (and to a lesser extent, Sega) w/this moldy relic? :roll:
Don't forget that the 7800 was launched in '84 before being yanked from the shelves for various legal/rights reasons. It's pretty impressive for a game of that year, if you ask me.. Now, years later when Atari got all the BS figured out and they relaunched it, they could have certainly picked a better game.. or at least expanded on the cart and gave it a little more depth (a championship mode, perhaps)? Another thing to keep in mind that the NES wasn't the sensation in '86 that it would soon be, so Atari not packing in something else more noteworthy was a bit of a moot point considering most of the NES games at the time were the black-box titles, mostly arcade ports and simplistic exclusives (minus Zelda and SMB).

I dunno ... I look at ambitious (for the time) Nes launch window driving games like Excitebike and (to a lesser extent) Mach Rider. Very hard to compare PPII favorably even w/them never mind a Duck Hunt or Gyromite, or SMB.
Austin wrote:I agree on Keith Courage, btw. It's not a bad game, but a pack-in game should be great..

Yeah ... it had some ok ideas, but the overall presnetation was pretty meh.
Austin wrote:Cybermorph on the Jaguar was so-so.. Kind of like a Keith Courage if you ask me. It was kind of cool, but still lacking sorely in several spots.. It wasn't exactly a Mario World or anything like that.
There is an understatement if I've ever heard one. :lol:
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:44 pm

Didn't the CD32 launch with no games, at all, available?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:01 pm

3DOKid wrote:Didn't the CD32 launch with no games, at all, available?
I thought it had a combo disc that was bundled w/ at least 2 games. Can't remember exactly, but I think one of them was a fighter (mean streets?) that I seem to remember getting poor reviews.

Maybe I'll dig some of my Old Amiga mags out.

EDIT - Wikipedia is quicker than trying to find my old mags. :wink:
At launch, the CD32 was bundled with two games, Diggers, a new game from Millennium Interactive, and Oscar from Flair Software. A later pack included the one-on-one fighting game Dangerous Streets, a move by Commodore that was met with derision by the press.
Hopefully this is accurate ... certainly better than my memory at any rate.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:35 pm

My memory is all over the place. Perhaps it was the PS2 then?

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:54 pm

I was thinking Keith Courage before I finished your post. LOL
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Austin

Post by Austin » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:40 pm

All right guys, now it's time to list the BEST pack-ins!.. :lol:

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:45 pm

Well obviously Crash 'n Burn and Total Eclipse. [/cough]

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:41 am

I dare someone to mention a game from Nintendo! :lol:

Btw Austin, I took your suggestion ... http://www.3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/view ... 4121#24121

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:27 am

Not even me.

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:52 pm

Most of these systems didn't launch with pack-ins, but later bundles had games.

That was definitely the case with CD32.

Post 16bit era had almost no pack ins.

Wasn't Pac-Man packed into a 2600 bundle? That game was whack...

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:57 pm

sneth wrote:Most of these systems didn't launch with pack-ins, but later bundles had games.

That was definitely the case with CD32.

Post 16bit era had almost no pack ins.

Wasn't Pac-Man packed into a 2600 bundle? That game was whack...
Yeah, pack-is were common up through the 3DO/Jag, but I don't remember any after that until the Wii.

Do you have a link for your CD-32 info?

Austin

Post by Austin » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:48 pm

Just remembered another one.. Blue Lightning on the Jaguar CD. I guess the pain of that one was alleviated slightly though thanks to a handful of other discs included in the pack as well.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:35 pm

Austin wrote:Just remembered another one.. Blue Lightning on the Jaguar CD. I guess the pain of that one was alleviated slightly though thanks to a handful of other discs included in the pack as well.
Other discs ... you mean like that Myst demo that wouldn't even let you leave the library :lol:

Austin

Post by Austin » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:14 pm

Vid Grid and the Tempest 2000 soundtrack (VLM! :lol:), mainly.