So no Mortal Kombat on Jag

It does float! And doesn't get soggy in milk! :)

Moderator: a31chris

phatrat1982
3DO ZERO USER

So no Mortal Kombat on Jag

Post by phatrat1982 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:07 pm

I never heard of a jaguar port so I can assume there wasn't one then? If not that kind of sucks but my question then is does it have any fighting games with people in it? I heard it had Primal Rage and that is cool but anything else?
"You can call me THE RAT thank you very much"
My Blog> http://ratodd.blogspot.com/
Youtube Channel> http://www.youtube.com/user/phatrat1982

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:34 pm

The jag does have Primal Rage, but only for the cd add-on. Even Jag fans though tend to admit that the Jag PR should have been better (long load times for one)

There is Kasumi Ninja (meh) and Fight for Life (barf) Thankfully ...

there is Ultra Vortek! :) It is a really fun brawler that has a unique cast of characters (although far too small) and it plays great (although far too easy) It'll never give SFII or Sam Sho. a run for the money, but if you ever do pick up a Jag, I think UV is a fun game.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:31 pm

Bruce Lee!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:06 pm

Oh, and even though I haven't played it yet, there is a Double Dragon game too.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

phatrat1982
3DO ZERO USER

Post by phatrat1982 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:17 pm

Is that Double Dragon game the same as the Neo Geo one?

I think it sucks for Jaguar that it had so few fighting games especially when that was the heyday for fighting games I wonder if that played a hand in it's fate? Even 32X which only had I think three or four fighters. I was a big fan of fighting games thanks in part to our local video arcade and the good folks at Neo Geo and Midway.
"You can call me THE RAT thank you very much"
My Blog> http://ratodd.blogspot.com/
Youtube Channel> http://www.youtube.com/user/phatrat1982

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:16 pm

Ultra Vortek is so-so in my opinion. It could have been better gameplay-wise. It's clearly trying to be like Mortal Kombat. It even has the same uppercut, rapid-punch and sweep moves, however, in comparison it's much more limited in basic attack moves. The lower framerate and sluggish nature of the controls keep it from being great, too. The visuals are pretty solid for the most part though and it shows off the smooth 2D graphics the Jag is capable of.

Double Dragon is a port of Double Dragon V from the SNES and Genesis, not the solid Neo-Geo fighting game. It's garbage.

Fight For Life, like Trev said, "baaaarrfff". Terrible game.

Kasumi Ninja gets a pretty bad rap, but a friend and I discussed this one earlier today and we both agreed that it's at least playable.

Mortal Kombat 3 was announced and I believe it was due for the Jag CD.

All in all, there isn't really a single "great" fighting game on the Jaguar. Mortal Kombat 3 would have been that game provided it was a good port and had been released. Ultra Vortek and Primal Rage are both passable for various reasons. I would put PR at the top of the current list, but I don't recommend anybody shelling out the cash for a Jaguar CD add-on, the game, and a Pro Controller to make it playable. It's just not worth it.
Trev wrote:Even Jag fans though tend to admit that the Jag PR should have been better (long load times for one)
It could have been. It's not awful if you have a Pro Controller, but it's hardly worth the price it goes for considering there are better versions out there that are much cheaper. For instance, I picked up a nice CIB copy of the Saturn version for about $10 last week, and got a nice jewel-cased version of the 3DO game (no longbox) for about $6 as well.

If I had to rank versions, the Jaguar CD version would be slightly lower than the 3DO version. It's basically the same game but with slightly smaller sprites and more load times as you mentioned. It can be decent if you have the right tools (a Pro Controller) but it's far from the best. It's sort of in the middle in terms of all the ports available.