NBA Jam

It does float! And doesn't get soggy in milk! :)

Moderator: a31chris

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

NBA Jam

Post by Trev » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:44 am

I just picked up this version (despite already playing/owning multiple versions) Its a really good port.

I want to hear some rabid fanboys tell me why this is the best version. Nah just kidding, but I would like some of the geekier types among us who compare the same game on multiple systems (I admit I do it sometimes) what gives this Jag version the edge over say the 32X one? Don't bother w/the 16 bit versions (I own them and can easily see the difference)

Jag NBA Jam=Best port?
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:23 am

Jag version is better than the 32X version because... Crisper, smoother visuals, better sound, etc. The 32X one is still a great port though, without a doubt.

I never played the Saturn or PlayStation versions, but supposedly the ports of them were nerfed for one reason or another. I can't speak out of personal experience though.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:37 am

Is the 32X version more colorful? I actually owned it like 15 years ago, but who can remember. This isn't necessarily a good thing mind you, just curious.

Also, what do you think of the music in the Jag version. I've read knocks on it, but its kinda growing on me. It seems to switch often which is kinda cool. Other ports seem to just loop the same track, but I could be wrong.

The players in the psx/sat versions look too large from what I've seen.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin

Post by Austin » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:01 am

No, I don't think the 32X one is more colorful. The colors really pop out in the Jaguar one, and that's a good thing.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:03 pm

One thing that is a mild annoyance w/the Jag version is that if I want to play more than 1 game in a row I have to re-enter my initials each time. I'm pretty sure w/other versions that it continues automaticaly.

Still, this is probably a top 5 Jag game in my opinion. A shame it couldn't have released a bit earlier in the consoles life.

Austin

Post by Austin » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:40 pm

Hm, that may depend on whether you are doing the championship mode (whatever they called it, the full home experience basically), versus your standard arcade mode. I don't recall the details though, but typing the initials in makes sense.. IIRC, wasn't that how you accessed the hidden characters in the arcade game? I do not recall, it's been so long..

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:10 pm

Okay, so I gotta bump this thread and ask (what seems) like an easy enough question ... how do you use the Pro Controller w/this game? The box clearly lists that you can, yet there is no info in the manual at all about this. :? And no matter what I try, I can only perform functions w/the standard 3 buttons. What's up?

phatrat1982
3DO ZERO USER

Post by phatrat1982 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:24 pm

I have the Sega, SNES, Sega CD, and 32X ports and I never did compare any of them side by side but I think I am going to do just that and see where I stand on them now. As for Jaguar I don't have that version but if I come across it I will check it out too.
"You can call me THE RAT thank you very much"
My Blog> http://ratodd.blogspot.com/
Youtube Channel> http://www.youtube.com/user/phatrat1982

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:37 pm

I'm really getting into comparing ports across multiple consoles. I'd be curious to know what you think.

phatrat1982
3DO ZERO USER

Post by phatrat1982 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:07 pm

I just wrote up a blog entry on the Mortal Kombat II Sega Port I did a re-evaluation of this week so I am up for doing some NBA Jam considering it is handled by the same companies as Mortal Kombat.
"You can call me THE RAT thank you very much"
My Blog> http://ratodd.blogspot.com/
Youtube Channel> http://www.youtube.com/user/phatrat1982

Austin

Post by Austin » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:13 am

Trev wrote:Okay, so I gotta bump this thread and ask (what seems) like an easy enough question ... how do you use the Pro Controller w/this game? The box clearly lists that you can, yet there is no info in the manual at all about this. :? And no matter what I try, I can only perform functions w/the standard 3 buttons. What's up?
If I remember correctly, all the Pro Controller does is remap some of the number keys to the extra face and shoulder buttons. So if those said number keys don't normally do anything, the top row buttons and shoulder buttons won't do anything in the game unless there is a sub-menu for reconfiguring your controls.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:20 am

HE's HEATING UP!

HE'S ON FIRE!

BOOMSHAKALAKA!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:36 am

So let me get this straight ... they go out of their way to list in a box on the front cover that the game has pro controller compatability ... but it can't use any of the extra buttons ...

:roll:

Austin

Post by Austin » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:33 am

Marketing ploy, perhaps? ;)

Where's t2kfreeker? He could surely answer your question with greater certainty than myself. What I've said is what I've heard though (hence the extra buttons on the pro controller technically work with older games as well). Have always wanted a Pro Controller, personally, but they are kind of pricey..

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:16 am

I really like the pro controller, and it is the one I use for all my Jaguar gaming (not just cause of the extra buttons, but the d-pad is looser which is super helpful on the ol' thumb) But let me tell you, that is some shady marketing ...

My respect for the Jag port of NBA Jam just took a hit. I still, of course, love the game ... but man is that a load of claptrap! :evil:

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:55 am

FROM DOWNTOWN...

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:15 pm

IS IT THE SHOES?